Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Alfa 147's long awaited replacement

• 06-07-2009 7:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭

http://www.autocar.co.uk/News/NewsArticle/AllCars/241314/

To be honest I prefer the current car. That just looks totally unremarkable and not what an Alfa should be. There are hints of everything in the design from the horrible little MiTo to the new Astra, it just looks way too derivative.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Bweh. I only really liked the 159 anyway :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

A really opportunity missed me thinks. A bland alfa - what next :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,480 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

oh dear..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Dave.

I like it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Looks like a fat Mito.

Not a fan of the new Alfa corporate face, prefered the twin headlight strip of the current Brera and 159.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,676 ✭✭✭mondeo

I never thought alfas would go downhill with their styling... Only alfa I really like is the 156, 159

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭mink_man

oh dear

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭T-b0n3

I just hope they sorted out their very very bad reliability problems. I had a 147 once and was not a pleasant time in my life. Well apart from when it worked even tho that was rarely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

I'd have a Bravo before one of those...that is shocking

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,480 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

The whole thing with an Alfa is it has to be drop dead gorgeous and great to drive to justify the bad bits (which aren't that bad nowadays)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,749 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

colm_mcm wrote: »
    The whole thing with an Alfa is it has to be drop dead gorgeous and great to drive to justify the bad bits (which aren't that bad nowadays)

I couldn't agree more. The 159 went wrong before this 147 successor and this will go wrong too. Such a shame!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Oh dear indeed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Hotwheels

Not bad at all...I'd like to see it in Red or Black, few cars look good in white...
    Still prefer me 159 though...:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭VolvoMan

Hotwheels wrote: »
    Not bad at all...I'd like to see it in Red or Black, few cars look good in white...

The 159 looks fantastic in white with the 'Ti' trim.

VolvoMan wrote: »
    The 159 looks fantastic

The looks are good, but it's not great to drive. Why the hell would anyone buy one?

unkel wrote: »
    The looks are good, but it's not great to drive. Why the hell would anyone buy one?

The 159 was given a weight reduction recently of about 150kg, if anything should be at least slight better to drive now.

Anyway, some people don't go for that sort of thing. Some people will see it as being a beautiful car that also happens to be of good quality and that suits them fine. I know that I myself would trade the dynamic abilities of the E90 3 Series for a car whose looks are as good as those of the 159 any day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭pcardin

I like it and I think it looks even better in the real life. Wouldn't buy this as it is to small for me. Waiting for the new 169.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

In fairness they're pretty unflattering, grainy pictures in a dreary colour (yes, I know, white was fashionable for about 5 minutes back in March 2008)

IBut...yeah...it's certainly a backwards step for Alfa and looks no more modern than the 147. It seems to me the smaller/narrower the car the less sucessful the new nose is.

I hope they realise the error of their ways and don't muck up the 159 replacement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

They robbed the rear from a Scirocco!
    679912599956356x236.jpgVW_Scirocco_back.jpg

The 159 exterior cannot be faulted but the interior lost me which is why I never bought one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Zube

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    The 159 exterior cannot be faulted

If only BMWs 3 series looked as good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 935 ✭✭✭samsemtex

Hotwheels wrote: »
    Still prefer me 159 though...:)

The 147 looked fantastic in white.
    alfa_romeo_147_gta_2002_02_m.jpg

Dont like this at all. Looks crap.

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    The 159 exterior cannot be faulted

But as per Colm's point - it needs to look well and drive well. The latter it doesn't. That's why they don't sell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

deerMamaRose.jpg

Oh deer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

It's like an Alfa trying to be a Lancia. Bit too smooth and curvy...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 935 ✭✭✭samsemtex

But as per Colm's point - it needs to look well and drive well. The latter it doesn't. That's why they don't sell.

I dont agree with that. Ive driven one and it was as good as anything else in that class.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zON4bWsl2Ek

Obviously this isnt the be all and end all as it is only a test but for a German magazine to say an Alfa is better than a BMW shows it cannot be a bad car to drive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭NewApproach

I quite like it. I know its not a typical Alfa design, but I like it all the same.

I had a 159 out as a courtesy car a few weeks back...a sportwagon aswell and it was a great drive. Even the 2.4jtd engine was superb

I would have preferred the GT/147 interior in the 159

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭*Tripper*

Some people just seem to have a personal vendetta against new Alfas. I have a new 159 2.2 ti and it's an absolute cracker. Looks wise it's better looking then any of its counterparts, 3 Series, A4, C Class etc. Then only other one of those I'd have is the C Class. The handling is superb(the ti spec is lowered). You can pick your line throw it into the corner and it will stick. The grip in the dry is great but it is a live wire in the wet. Keeps you on your toes though.

Also Unkel, I take you critisism of the 159 with a pinch of salt.....rover 75....my god.

• Advertisement

steve06 wrote: »
    They robbed the rear from a Scirocco!

I think it's more like the new Astra than anything.

679912599956356x236.jpgnew-2010-opel-astra-3.jpg

The Audi A4 looks well but drives rubbish and that sells.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

I've the 2.4 JTDM TI 159 and I think the ride is only okay - better than most, but I hoped for better.

If I keep it long enough I'll get it chipped once beyond the warranty (or maybe before!). The styling of the 147 is just Meh!

*Tripper* wrote: »
    I have a new 159 2.2 ti

Is that the one with the Opel engine?
    *Tripper* wrote: »
    Also Unkel, I take you critisism of the 159 with a pinch of salt.....rover 75....my god.

That is was mrs unkels car. Mine's the other one in my sig ;)

BTW I do like Alfas and I like them to do well in the market. But only if they deserve it...
    The 159 was given a weight reduction recently of about 150kg, if anything should be at least slight better to drive now.

I wasn't aware of that. All the reviews I read when the 159 came out suggested the car was too heavy and slow (compared with equivalent 156s). Many people test driving the car (after owning a 156) reported same iirc. Just checking - the base diesel model only lost 45kg which resulted in tiny performance improvements.
    The Audi A4 looks well but drives rubbish and that sells.

The requirements for an Alfa to sell are a bit different :)

Is that the one with the Opel engine?

That's one of the major downsides for me with the 159. Nearly all of the engines are GM units, with none of the likes of the Twin Spark or an actual Alfa V6. The latter is only a GM unit that has none of the soul of the original Alfa V6 and looks rubbish in comparison too.
    I wasn't aware of that. All the reviews I read when the 159 came out suggested the car was too heavy and slow (compared with equivalent 156s).

Which explains why they put the range on a diet.
    The requirements for an Alfa to sell are a bit different :)

Quite possibly, but you find nowadays few cars have it all. The 159 is finally an Alfa that is well built but has lost some of the Alfa charm in the process.

The 159 is finally an Alfa that is well built but has lost some of the Alfa charm in the process.

That sums it up well. FIAT boss Marchionne has done an incredible job getting the company back up and running again and maybe the 159 was a little bridge too far too soon. Doesn't take away from the recent FIAT success though imho.

• Advertisement

That sums it up well. FIAT boss Marchionne has done an incredible job getting the company back up and running again and maybe the 159 was a little bridge too far too soon. Doesn't take away from the recent FIAT success though imho.

Lets hope he's not biting off more than he can chew from merging with Chrysler and going after Opel.

Yeah I'm worried about that too, but let's face it - he has already done the impossible. The man is a legend.

Advertisement