If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Surround sound system

Options
  • 06-07-2009 7:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭

Folks,

I'm looking for a new surround sound system, all going according to plan, I'll have a 42PFL8404 and my Bluray 3000 in the next week or two, I currently have the sony DAVSC8 which was great in it's day, but is crying out for an upgrade, primarily cos the speakers are too big and I'm not mad about the wires across the floor (yes I know i could tack them but then I wouldn't have a proper excuse to change)

So ideally I'd like to get one with wireless rear speakers, the unit doesn't need to have a dvd in fact I think I'd prefer it it didn't, cos I already have the philips HDD 80Gb DVDR so i don't need 3 disc players (4 if you count the Wii)

So I'm open to suggestion, it's not something I've researched greatly so happy to be steered in the right direction.

Cheers! Hick

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭chris_ie

I had originally decided to buy a recevier from RS. Then turned into buying some new speakers. Which then turned into buying more expensive speakers that I originally started out to get! But well worth it!

Have you set a budget? The guys on here will be able to give some of the best advice you could get. I bought the Monitor Audio setup from them. Fantastic system in both look and sound.

Setup I got :
    4 x R90s for surround.
    1 x R250 center
    1 x R370 sub.

to go along with Onkyo 607 receiver. Couldn't be happier with the system.

At the minute I don't think I'd go for wireless rears. I don't think the quality would be as good. Although I have heard that they could be ok if they are mains powered (as opposed to battery), so you'll still have wires, just not to the receiver.

I could be wrong though! The guys at RS will know better regarding the wireless but just though I'd give ya an opinion.

• Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

Hick ( & Thx Chris :o)

Thanks for the message and apologies for the awful delay in getting back to you!

I agree with Chris - if you can possibly avoid it don't go for wireless rears!

To be honest given the preference I would prefer to get a decent 2.1 system than a5.1 with wireless rears (and of course as you know the rears won't really be wireless - they will have to be connected to the mains and most of them then have a rear link cable as well - how our industry gets away with calling them 'wireless' I'll never know!

Anyway - if you would be happy to settle for a really good 2.1 system I would go for the slightly weird but excellent sounding Onkyo HTX22 see details here: http://www.eu.onkyo.com/products/HTX-22HD.html

It sounds excellent and even better for your purposes it does not mean that you will double up on a DVD!

You can also add optional rears if you ever get a royal permit to lift the carpet at a later date - the HTX22 has Dolby True HD/ Audyssey 2EQ and DTS surround sensation - all for £299.95!

If you are interested in this please don't hesitate to drop me a line and I'll get one of the boys to look after you,

Thanks again and apologies for teh delay in getting back to you (and thanks again Chris!)

ATB,

John Mc

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭hick

thanks for the update Chris and John

appreciate what yer saying about the wireless speakers. but i'm still taken with the idea, I have power points on both sides of the big comfy couch so would be fine from that perspective, I know you lose a bit of freq too, but once it's good upfront that's what important.

Will have a look at the Onkyo gear, but may be best to have a one to one chat with one of the guys, but in the mean time any more info is greatly appreciated.

Cheers, Hick

• Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

Hick,

Thanks again for the post - and I understand why you want the wireless kit (same as me under the thumb! ;)) we don't have anything that I can recommend to you at the moment with wireless rears - why not have a word with 'The Ritz' or post in the General HE Forums and I'm sure some of the guys there will give you the best steer towards a decent unit?

Thanks again and thanks for the PM's as well,

Give me a bell if I can help!

ATB,

John Mc

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.