Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kennels - plastic or wooden better?

Options
  • 06-07-2009 7:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭

Any recommendations on Kennels or what websites to buy from?

Our labrador sleeps indoors at night and can come indoors during the day through a dog flap.
    We want to get her a kennel so she can stay outdoors during the day and keep the rain off.

Are plastic or wooden kennels better, e.g. which are warmer/less stuffy?

The websites seem to have kennels for 1/2 the price of our local Pet Superstores.
    So far we have found ..
    www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/dogs/dog_houses_flaps/dog_houses
    www.petplanet.co.uk/dept.asp?dept_id=619
    www.petconnection.ie/acatalog/Kennels.html

Think we will start buying her Royal Canine dog food online also as theres good savings to be made compared to the shops.
    Is it possible to buy wormers / Frontline online also?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭corkimp

wooden kennels tend to be warmer - just make sure the roof has a cover - maybe something similair to felt (or along those lines) just to ensure water doesn't get in. Also be sure lid/roof isn't loose - heavy winds can lift the roof a bit, frightening the dog if its inside. Although plastic has its good qualties too. if all comes down to what you see as the pros and cons.
    My gsd had a habit of nibbling on her box - mind you was when she was a pup lol.
    not sure about the frontline online...let me know if u can though!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Have both, I don't use either much now converted the shed by just inserting a doggy flap. But I found them to be pretty much the same although the plastic ones are easier to clean, they both tend to let a lot of wind and rain in unless you get a dog igloo or the like with a flap on it. If there's no flap it will let in rain even if you have it facing a sheltered spot.

The igloo is good in a way because the dog can go around the corner of the igloo even if it's windy and so offers more shelter. But I'd buy the biggest one possible I bought I Think it was medium but although the collie fits in it not much room to stretch. For a lab I'd go at least one size larger than recommended.

If going for timber shiplap is warmer.

Have a small Barna one and can't get a flap for it, it lets in a lot of water and unlike the igloo it can't drain out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 476 ✭✭Blueprint

I got my dog a kennel for staying outside on nice days - he's literally never used it once! Partly to do with the fact that circumstances changed and he was never left even halfway alone (I was expecting he would use it while I slept as I worked nights), him finding his voice and hence annoying the neighbours if I left him and also him having no desire to be left outside on his own.

However, it did serve admirably as a kitten house (indoors) for the first six weeks of my cat's lives until they discovered that the dog's bed was nicer than theirs!

You can buy Frontline online from a variety of different places, the last one I got it from was these guys: http://www.medicanimal.com - they do free shipping over a certain amount.

Advertisement