Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Affliction 3: "Trilogy"

Options
  • 06-07-2009 8:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭

http://www.cagetoday.com/affliction-3/
    Originally Posted by cagedtoday.com
    MAIN CARD

Fedor Emelianenko (30-1) vs. Josh Barnett (24-5)
    Renato “Babalu” Sobral (32-8) vs. Gegard Mousasi (25-2-1)
    Vitor Belfort (18-8) vs. Jorge Santiago (21-7)
    Gilbert Yvel (36-13-1) vs. Paul Buentello (27-10
    Takanori Gomi (30-5) vs. Rafaello Oliveira (8-1)
    PRELIMINARY CARD

Jay Hieron (17-4) vs. Paul Daley (21-8-2)
    Chris Horodecki (12-1) vs. Dan Lauzon (12-2)
    Ben Rothwell (30-6) vs. Chase Gormley (6-0)
    Javier Vazquez (13-2) vs. LC Davis (13-2)
    Mark Hominick (16-8) vs. Deividas Taurosevicius (10-3)
    The main card will air live on PPV. The preliminary card will air live in the HDNe
    Really looking forward to this event. Day of Reckoning had a decent card and I thoroughly enjoyed watching Barnett disposing of Yvel and Fedor's dominance continue. Vitor Belfort is fighting again too, which is good to see. What do you reckon? Will Affliction begin to rival UFC?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Kazooie

I think this will probably be their last one. Shame as they put on two good shows and this one looks awesome too. They just aren't getting enough ppv buys apparently. They didn't advertise enough as well in my opinion.

Looking forward to Mousassi.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,192 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

No, they won't rival UFC.

They have 1 selling point, Fedor. Nothing else.

This is a good card though. Sobral v Mousassi should be interesting. Maybe we'll see another super up-kick!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,997 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Are Bravo showing this?

They were advertising Affliction a few months ago.

Although if they're pursuing the UFC again they might not show it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,192 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Are Bravo showing this?

They were advertising Affliction a few months ago.

Although if they're pursuing the UFC again they might not show it.

They advertised it but ASAIK it was never shown, they pulled it shortly before it was shown............ i think.

I may be getting mixed up here with something else!

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Kazooie

MrStuffins wrote: »
    They advertised it but ASAIK it was never shown, they pulled it shortly before it was shown............ i think.

I may be getting mixed up here with something else!

They did show the second one the next day at 9 just like when they had UFC shows.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

Solid card.

I like the daley v hieron match up too

• Registered Users Posts: 14,610 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

most die hard mma fans would probably consider this a better card than UFC 100

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭cardio,shoot me

this is a nice card, really like watching vitor and fedor fight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭soretoe

good card - Hominick is deadly - great fight with Young in afflictions first event
    Babalu rules - wish he's win that fight and then stall it into the UFC again into the 185's and fight Vitor or someone like that
    Yeah great card all round - hope there's some way to see this live

found this - tagged 'Fedors Trilogy training'

http://www.pancrase.org/fedors-affliction-trilogy-training/07-06-2009/

don't agree with the 'better than UFC100' though coz how can you beat
    GSP Vs ALVES right now - gonna be a war

It's probably the very best card Affliction were able to produce and the purses will stack up to a lot of dough by the sounds of it !

Should be great show though - prob their last is that right? then where are the good fighters gonna go?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

It's neck and neck with UFC 100 in my view. Two heavyweight main events with a lot of intrigue behind them. And I was going to liken Mousasi to GSP before I read any mention of UFC above

It'll be interesting to see how Mousasi deals with Babalu on the ground. Jacare would be better than Babalu I think, but Mousasi wasn't really tested on the ground against him, was he?

Originally Affliction said that their plan was to run three events, and they've made no mention of a fourth so far. The original fighter contracts were for three fights

I'd like to see some guys go to Strikeforce after this. Mousasi I could see going there. Fedor will probably fight on New Years Eve in Japan and I'd say the UFC will make another offer to him. If no more lucrative opportunities like Affliction come along then I could see him agreeing to it next year. It certainly looks more likely now than it did a year or more ago I think

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

Great card, Im really lookin forward to it..not as much as ufc 100 tho :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭DoireNod

soretoe wrote: »

That looks like some of the footage from 'The Baddest Man on the Planet' documentary. Is he training in a kid's play-park?!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Lookin forward to seein Gomi fight again.Not the best LW at all but I love watching him fight

Advertisement