Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless speed changing

Options
  • 06-07-2009 8:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭

I connect to the internet through my wireless router. I just notice the speed seems to change from 54Mbps to 36Mbps to 11Mbps randomly (without any obvious disconnection).

I'm aware it has no real bearing on my internet speed etc ..

Is this normal though? I've just never noticed it before.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭Some_Person

If your signal quality is low or there is interference then the wifi adapter automatically lowers the negotiation rate to get a better signal, what signal strength have you got? and try changing the wireless channel, there may be interference from something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭ttm

As Some person says it could easily be interference from other users on the same channel. Do a survey with NetStumbler to see if there are lots of users on the same channel and if so try one that is less used, but don't go from say channel 7 to channel 6 as the channels overlap a bit, you need to at least three steps either up or down so from 7 to 10 or 4. There's little problem with a lot of users on the same channel UNTILL they all start using their Wireless connections at the same time in which case this fills the "air" with interference and your Wireless speed drops - one possible reason anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

I haven't noticed any major issues as such with the changing speeds or whatever so I'm not overly worried at the moment - but I'm anxious to get the most out of it that I can.

I'll have a look at NetStumbler, never heard of it before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭ttm

Random wrote: »

Down for me to, thougt it was just my slow connection and why I didn't provide a link as I like to test then before I post them.

When you do get it takes over your Wireless connection (while its running) and logs all the info it can about any Wireless Networks it finds, from your point of view you can use it to see all how many users are on the same channel. You might also be able to make some sence of the signal to noise graphs to see if you can tie that into your speed changes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭Some_Person

Since netstumbler.com is down you can get it here.
    Big images:
    Image1
    Image2

Thanks lads. I haven't had a chance to try it out yet but will post back with issues.

Advertisement