Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Timing Belt Prices

Options
  • 06-07-2009 8:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Could anyone give me a low/average/high price you would expect to pay a non main dealer garage for a timing belt change?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

Give us the make & model OP. Also, you should shop sround, a good indy garage with an owner who will be open and transparent with you is better than any main dealer!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,474 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Anywhere from €400 to €800

• Registered Users Posts: 51,222 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

It's impossible to guess without knowing the make and model of car.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭fme

Hi - I'm looking to get the same done.
    I've a 00 VW Golf 1.4 petrol, about 65k miles on the clock. I was quoted 400 which covers timing belt and water pump. Does that sound reasonable?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,222 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Seems an ok price to me for a timing belt and water pump change, sounds like a price from an independant mechanic or garage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,343 ✭✭✭bladespin

Very reasonable I'd say, seen some crazy prices for this work €800+

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

not to go off track too much... anybody done it themsleves??? have done a lot of stuff to my cars over the years, never did a timing belt....just curious

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

Mine is being done today as we speak by an indy, timing belt, tensioners and water pump on a 98 passat tdi, €400.

Not something I'd tackle myself tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Crumble

PaulKK wrote: »
    Mine is being done today as we speak by an indy, timing belt, tensioners and water pump on a 98 passat tdi, €400.

Not something I'd tackle myself tbh.

Seems like a fair price... I've just been quoted €550 by a VAG dealer for the sames job on a 04 passat tdi currently looking for a better deal, will go for a indy if i can find one to do it for around €400.

Does the water pump have to be changed at the same time? or is it just a matter of convenience?

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭PaulieBoy

E350 inc VAT in a MAIN DEALER with a tensioner as well.
    Seems like everybody around these parts thinks that the "indy" ( gotta love that) dealer is a god like creature and all main dealers are robbers!!
    No need to navigate up a dodgy laneway, and pay cash :-)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Crumble wrote: »
    Seems like a fair price... I've just been quoted €550 by a VAG dealer for the sames job on a 04 passat tdi currently looking for a better deal, will go for a indy if i can find one to do it for around €400.

Does the water pump have to be changed at the same time? or is it just a matter of convenience?

it has roughly the same lifespan as a timing belt and also as the water pump is there when the mechanic strips down everything to get to the belt, you might aswell change it as if you were to change it the following year you would have to repay the labour costs to strip down the head again!
    PaulieBoy wrote: »
    Seems like everybody around these parts thinks that the "indy" ( gotta love that) dealer is a god like creature and all main dealers are robbers!!

does that include the water pump too?

PaulieBoy wrote: »

well TBH I would prefer a VAG dealer, but my local one in Navan quoted me €550 and I figured that would be a standard VAG price.

I had better ring round a few other VAG dealers i guess!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

There's a school of thought that if you don't change the water pump when doing the timing belt, that the new timing belt will put extra pressure on the old water pump causing it to fail with in a few thousand KMs. There seems to be strong evidence to suggest this....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 garyxxx

sosulio wrote: »
    Could anyone give me a low/average/high price you would expect to pay a non main dealer garage for a timing belt change?

I bought the belt kit and the water pump for lexus is200 for less than 200 euro all in. just have to find some one to do it cheap, 100 to 150 at most.

Got two prices today one from a VAG main dealer and one from a non main dealer ( but not a side street operation ) VAG dealer €680 non VAG €425.

I know that the VAG dealer will be using genuine VW parts ( I presume ) and that i will get a stamp in the log book, but considering the age of the car (04) and the loss in value since the downturn I cant see this being much advantage.

Just shows you really do have to shop around and you would be mad to accept the first price you get.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 gowger

Some quotes to add to the pool of information There are some quite dramatic variations:

98 Passat 1.9 TDI Leonard motors Skibbereen quoted : €1200 yes really!!
    The guy eventually got it done privately for only €250!! not sure if he got the pump and tensioner changed but I think so.

02 Audi A4 2.5 TDI (v6) all including tensioner and pump:
    Foster motors sandyford: €1000
    JetStar Dean's Grange: €800
    Jim McCann a local fella in blackrock: ~700
    John Calnan in Drimoleague: 650

Can someone beat this price? :-)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

gowger wrote: »
    Some quotes to add to the pool of information There are some quite dramatic variations:

98 Passat 1.9 TDI Leonard motors Skibbereen quoted : €1200 yes really!!
    The guy eventually got it done privately for only €250!! not sure if he got the pump and tensioner changed but I think so.

02 Audi A4 2.5 TDI (v6) all including tensioner and pump:
    Foster motors sandyford: €1000
    JetStar Dean's Grange: €800
    Jim McCann a local fella in blackrock: ~700
    John Calnan in Drimoleague: 650

Can someone beat this price? :-)

250e is very very low, sure the parts alone from a motor factors are half that or thereabouts.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭johndaman66

kceire wrote: »
    250e is very very low, sure the parts alone from a motor factors are half that or thereabouts.

You would be doing very good to get the parts for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭gaillimhabu

Hi Guys..

My brother's car broke down and wouldn't restart. Towed it to garage they said it needs the timing belt done
    It's a 00 golf 1.4 petrol. Not sure about mileage on the clock

He was quoted €2000 from main dealer and €1100 from the garage that we towed the car to...

Is €1100 still too dear. Seems excessive to me.
    I've seem prices being quoted here for €400. Is that parts+labour?

He's meant to leave a deposit in this evening so quick replies would be greatly appreciated...Based in Galway by the way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

1998 Civic - Mechanic in Leixlip - €100 labour
    1998 Accord - Mechanic in Duldalk - €60 labour

Belt "kits" are €35 (which is only the belt and a plastic bag!)

^ All those prices are within the last 7 days.

Maintenance schedule says water pump and tensioner are inspect and replace if necessary. ie there is no replacement schedule. I have never replaced either in any car and have never had any trouble.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

Hi Guys..

My brother's car broke down and wouldn't restart. Towed it to garage they said it needs the timing belt done

He was quoted €2000 from main dealer and €1100 from the garage that we towed the car to...

He's meant to leave a deposit in this evening so quick replies would be greatly appreciated...Based in Galway by the way

The timing belt needing to be replaced wouldn't cause the car to break down, unless the timing belt snapped.. which can be very very expensive (and write off a car in some cases).

I doubt they're quoting that money just to replace the timing belt, id say there's more to it.

The timing belt needing to be replaced wouldn't cause the car to break down, unless the timing belt snapped.. which can be very very expensive (and write off a car in some cases).

I doubt they're quoting that money just to replace the timing belt, id say there's more to it.

Well I presume it snapped as car broke down...This is not a replacement job...I'm not sure what else they are replacing so looks like a good few things for that price

• Registered Users Posts: 6,308 ✭✭✭alias no.9

You have to be very careful with timing belts, the belts very rarely fail prematurely themselves, it's usually a tensioner, an idler pulley, or a waterpump that should have been changed but wasn't that will cause the problem.
    The cost will vary greatly because the complexity of the job varies greatly. In general with a SOHC engine, it's a quick and easy job but a DOHC will be a lot trickier. Space in the engine bay will be a big factor too, it's an engine out job on some cars.
    Doing a belt DIY is not impossible, but time, patience and the right tools are a must and these vary greatly from car to car. Once you've done one on a particular engine, you'll probably do it more than twice as quick the next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭yellow012

Got two prices today one from a VAG main dealer and one from a non main dealer ( but not a side street operation ) VAG dealer €680 non VAG €425.

I know that the VAG dealer will be using genuine VW parts ( I presume ) and that i will get a stamp in the log book, but considering the age of the car (04) and the loss in value since the downturn I cant see this being much advantage.

Just shows you really do have to shop around and you would be mad to accept the first price you get.
    Whereabouts are you located, I know Maxwells in Athy (VAG main dealer) have a price list on their window:
    - for timing belt and water pump change from €480.
    - A service ranges from €99 - €299 depending on whats required.
    If you are near south Kildare it might be worth giving them a call.

Hi Guys..

He was talking to the garage. It would be €400 if replacing it as part of a service. But in this case the timing belt has snapped so lots more work needed i.e head, tensioners, pulleys..

He never replaced it when the car reached 60k so will have to pay the price now..So that is a lesson for him I suppose. Service the car when it's due for one

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭johndaman66

He was talking to the garage. It would be €400 if replacing it as part of a service. But in this case the timing belt has snapped so lots more work needed i.e head, tensioners, pulleys..

He never replaced it when the car reached 60k so will have to pay the price now..So that is a lesson for him I suppose. Service the car when it's due for one

Never had the experience of a timing belt snapping but a friend has and its a nasty experience. He ended up replacing his engine. A bit sketchy on the details now but as far as I recall a trainee mechanic once told me that it can be as simple as putting on a new belt in a very few number of cases and especially so if it was an 8 valve engine but unlikely you would get of that lightly and very few if any new engines would be 8 valve now I reckon? Also as far as I recall he told me that in some cases all or some of the valves can get bent beyond repair if it snaps. They can be 60 euro a pop or thereabouts each as far as I recall him saying so if you need to replace all 16 (or more) or em, well rather you than me! If this is the case it may probably be best to source an engine from a breakers yard but if it is a very new model or a rarer engine you might be sausaged!

Advertisement