Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Foreign Beers (of the week)

Options
  • 06-07-2009 8:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭

Laffe is a lager in Tesco (€6 for 4 bottles) and its just gorgeous. Strong too @ 6.6% but its good stuff.

So add more here

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

just drinking my 2nd one now. Its nice, but I don't think i'd be able to drink it all night. It's a bit sweet or something. Also, if you look at it from a "value for money" point of view, its shockin'. You can get 6 500ml bottles of German pils in lidl for the same money or maybe a euro more.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭tombull82

Just picked up mine now..
    €8 for 4 in SuperValue :eek:

I know I should have went somewhere else to increase competition etc but................ ah no but's about it, I was just too lazy.:o

don't forgot to give your opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭Don1

€6 for 6 Grolsch in O'Briens which is nice. Also bought all the Moosehead, Canadian lager, but can't remember the price. Just putting them forward as nominations for next week! :D

ShayK1 wrote: »
    don't forgot to give your opinion.

Leffe's Blonde

1 out of 5

1 point taken for Price (€8 for 4,:eek:,,even €6 for 4 is not great)
    1 point taken for Taste (Sweet & Spicy) I like my Rum Spicy but not my beer!!
    1 point taken for After Taste (for me anyway)
    1 point taken because I disliked it so much I didnt even drink them all.

1 Point added because at the end of the day it is a 6.6% beer and could be used as a night cap after the pub maybe

IMO of course

• Advertisement

Jaysis tombull, you really didn't like it did you??

did anybody else try it?

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Tom10

tombull82 wrote: »
    Leffe's Blonde

1 out of 5

1 point taken because I disliked it so much I didnt even drink them all.

IMO of course

Haha well i liked them enough to take the remaining ones off your hands :P

I was going to recommend Singha but if you don't like spicy you'll hate that one haha

• Registered Users Posts: 7,895 ✭✭✭patrickc

i'm on the tyskie tonight, 1.79 in lidl good aul reliable and tasty, though i do prefer the staropraman in lidl...

patrickc wrote: »
    i'm on the tyskie tonight, 1.79 in lidl good aul reliable and tasty, though i do prefer the staropraman in lidl...

I'm really going to have to go in there some week and raid the place for the beer they have - odds are it will be cheaper and nicer than what i find anywhere else.

Did try this Oettinger Pils stuff tonight - really did not go for it. I mean for cheep beer it was grand but absolutely no taste to it really. No way would I be going back

Tom10 wrote: »
    I'm really going to have to go in there some week and raid the place for the beer they have - odds are it will be cheaper and nicer than what i find anywhere else.

Did try this Oettinger Pils stuff tonight - really did not go for it. I mean for cheep beer it was grand but absolutely no taste to it really. No way would I be going back

never heard of it at all.. and yeh do try it someday, even their pilsner is well nice and cheap

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭legendal

Pear Kopparberg gets two thumbs up from me. I know it's a cider, and not a beer, but it ticks the foreign box :D. It's available most of the time in Tully's, but the main downside is the price - €6 in some pubs for one 4.5% 500ml bottle. It's about €3 a bottle in Tesco IIRC, compared to about €2.70 in a bar in Wales. Extra-strength (8%) cans are on sale in state-run off-licences in Sweden for about €3 - €3.50. Worth a try, and easier on the taste buds than other ciders. But damn this country's expensive!

legendal wrote: »
    Pear Kopparberg gets two thumbs up from me. I know it's a cider, and not a beer, but it ticks the foreign box :D. It's available most of the time in Tully's, but the main downside is the price - €6 in some pubs for one 4.5% 500ml bottle. It's about €3 a bottle in Tesco IIRC, compared to about €2.70 in a bar in Wales. Extra-strength (8%) cans are on sale in state-run off-licences in Sweden for about €3 - €3.50. Worth a try, and easier on the taste buds than other ciders. But damn this country's expensive!

yeh i noticed that in sweden last week, the shops et the weak stuff and the state offies the proper stuff

yeh i noticed that in sweden last week, the shops et the weak stuff and the state offies the proper stuff

Well the control on alcohol is far more strict over there, all the state run off-licenses are closed around 6 ish (can't remember the exact time). The people I talked to over there hate the license laws, and the really high price of drink in bars but they are too placid to do anything about it haha

Well the control on alcohol is far more strict over there, all the state run off-licenses are closed around 6 ish (can't remember the exact time). The people I talked to over there hate the license laws, and the really high price of drink in bars but they are too placid to do anything about it haha

yeh my mate was explaining that to me, hes a swede like

and placid and nice isnt a good enough word theyre deadly people

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

This thread is a great idea btw. I'll participate on Monday.

super-rush wrote: »
    This thread is a great idea btw. I'll participate on Monday.

Haha cool, cos here was me thinking nobody would reply (thanking shayk1 for kicking it off). I just think there are loads of great beers and stuff out there and unless your some kinda wine boffon (and who the hell would wanna be one of those) you never hear about them. So this will hopefully be a great place to find out!!!

so what's on the menu for this week? And where do we purchase?

so what's on the menu for this week? And where do we purchase?

Not sure yet, but thinking have to head into Aldi or Lidl and have a look at whats on offer (cheaper and a higher chance of finding something you really like/hate)

Not sure yet, but thinking have to head into Aldi or Lidl and have a look at whats on offer (cheaper and a higher chance of finding something you really like/hate)

In that case, try Perlenbacher. Its €6.99 for 6x500ml bottles in Lidl.
    Its German Pils btw

http://www.kbsinstitute.org/images/pullo/IMGP7047.jpg

Cool, will grab myself a few of that stuff today then, will grab a bottle of the Moosehead Lager too (Don1 grabbed a bottle so 2 opinions are better then one eh).

So this weeks beer (there doesn't have to be only one a week but its working well enough I think so far) is Perlenbacher (German Pils) from Lidl, suggested by Shayk1. So hopefully Turnbull won't feel physically sick from this one, unlike my first suggestion :pac::pac::pac:

• Advertisement

the had the moosehead on special in supervalu a wee while back a euro a bottle, nice stuff but knocked me out.

the lidl pilsner i'll give that 7/10 .

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭HugoIrl

In that case, try Perlenbacher. Its €6.99 for 6x500ml bottles in Lidl.
    Its German Pils btw

http://www.kbsinstitute.org/images/pullo/IMGP7047.jpg
    the had the moosehead on special in supervalu a wee while back a euro a bottle, nice stuff but knocked me out.

the lidl pilsner i'll give that 7/10 .

Really like that beer myself would be a 7 or 8 out of 10(cats :pac:) from me

Had one from Dunnes last nite 7.99 for 6x 500ml will grab the name later only be a 5/10 just missing that extra bit if taste

Stupid point here but should probably stick to the one rating system (i know how anal this point is but had to be made) and was thinking that since turnbull82 was the first to do it so should probably go with his 5 point system :P and yes i do know its petty but think its better to compare then

Jaysis tombull, you really didn't like it did you??

did anybody else try it?

Well maybe I was a bit harsh on it.:(. but I'll stick with my guns and leave it at 2 out of 10 for the moment.:)

See what I've done there????? :)

tombull82 wrote: »
    Well maybe I was a bit harsh on it.:(. but I'll stick with my guns and leave it at 2 out of 10 for the moment.:)

See what I've done there????? :)

Oh no no no, will not be having any flip floppers on this thread :pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭jaffa20

Leffe is a lovely beer and it was all i drank when i was in france. it's dirt cheap there compared to here. I prefer Duvel but it's hard to find in ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

I'm trying to spread the word on Chimay Blue Label, they have it in tesco if anyone fancies it.......

Tasted Perlenbacher there last night 3 outta 5 stars. Its nice but I wasn't won over by it

- Its cheap
    - Nice taste without being great
    - Left half a glass over night and when i woke up the next day there were still bubbles coming up from the bottom, so if you were inclined ya could drink the stuff left from the night before :pac::pac:

So overall good, cheap but not great :)

Tasted Perlenbacher there last night 3 outta 5 stars. Its nice but I wasn't won over by it

- Its cheap
    - Nice taste without being great
    - Left half a glass over night and when i woke up the next day there were still bubbles coming up from the bottom, so if you were inclined ya could drink the stuff left from the night before :pac::pac:

So overall good, cheap but not great :)

is that a 6 out of 10 then?

• Advertisement

is that a 6 out of 10 then?

No no no no, god really am trying to turn back the tide here eh.

Ya i guess its a 7 outta 10 then. Better than a 6 but not good enough for an 8 :pac::pac:

Advertisement