Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Convert helmet to Quick Release Buckle

• 06-07-2009 8:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys

Was just looking at this on the net and was wondering if anyone knows if there is anywhere in ireland or the uk that sells them.

http://www.cabelas.com/prod-1/0036271521902a.shtml

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

I'd not mess with your helmet if I where you. Its your head after all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

If its a "Double D" buckle your thinking of replacing, DONT, I knew of a guy that got killed a number of years ago because a quick release buckle gave way in a spill. I had a plastic QRone on a LEM helmet that had to be replaced after 6 months under warrenty. Personally I wouldnt touch them with a barge pole. All the top brands have been using "Double D" for decades.

It would be ok if you were just using your helmet in bed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

I wouldn't use anything other than a double D strap meself, let alone an aftermarket conversion :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭View Profile

Double D's are a far better securing mechanism.

It is also much easier to tighten/loosen the strap to your preference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭Cecil Mor

I've had 'em on some helmets in the past and found them to be very handy esp when suffering with cold wet fingers however I also found that some buckles did suffer from wear over time and occasionally did not always lock shut correctly.

Changing from a double D fastener to a aftermarket buckle could prove to be a false economy and seems rather pointless in my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭chasm

cheers guys, think i'll go with your advice and avoid.

Ive always had buckle straps and found them ok- sounds weird but i get a bit claustraphobic inside my helmet once the bikes not moving(!) and i found that with the buckle mechanism i can remove the helmet quite quickly. Bought a new helmet a while back with a double d fastener and as ive never owned one with that type of fastener i wasnt sure how to put it on and off quickly.

Do you guys open the fastener all the time or do you leave it done up and just push the strap up to the front of the helmet when putting it on or off?

Sorry for sounding like a complete noob!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

chasm wrote: »

Do you guys open the fastener all the time or do you leave it done up and just push the strap up to the front of the helmet when putting it on or off?

If you can do that when you are stopped think how easy it can come off if you hit the road at 100km/h? The strap should be as tight as possible while still being comfortable.

If you can take the helmet off without undoing the double D then the helmet is too big for you and it's about as safe as using a hard hat on a bike.

If you feel claustraphobic why don't you get a flip front helmet? Nearly as safe as a full face and the added benefit of not having to take it off all the time.

I meant doing something like this to put it on:

http://www.instructables.com/id/Put-on-a-Motorcycle-Helmet-Without-Undoing-the-Str/
    I havent worn the helmet yet, (apart from when i bought it) as im still recovering from an accident, but it looks like a lot of fiddling about to undo when you want to take it off.

I always had the strap on my other helmet as tight as required, i just found it easy to remove as it was with gloves off and i have small hands(i'm female!)to reach in and undo it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

chasm wrote: »
    I meant doing something like this to put it on:

http://www.instructables.com/id/Put-on-a-Motorcycle-Helmet-Without-Undoing-the-Str/
    I havent worn the helmet yet, (apart from when i bought it) as im still recovering from an accident, but it looks like a lot of fiddling about to undo when you want to take it off.

I always had the strap on my other helmet as tight as required, i just found it easy to remove as it was with gloves off and i have small hands(i'm female!)to reach in and undo it.

Most retarded way of putting on a helmet that I have ever seen. It's almost as bad as the pic with the woman driving with her helmet on the wrong way around.

DD starps can be done in a few seconds once you get used to them (I'm talking 3 seconds here). Even with cold hands. The starp must be done fully and securly. If you can get it on without undoing it, then it can come off with out undoing it! It works both ways. Just to make it clear.. I'm talking about an unwilling removal at 100kph. Its a chin strap. Also if it will get the daft notion out of your head. The Gards if in a bad mood can do you for a incorrectly fastened helmet (IE No helmet) As the strap is to lose.

Go to a proper dealer and get fitted, try on helmets and find what one suits you. If you are feeling claustrophobic, then it might be that your helmet is to small for you or two big and moves around. A Helmet should fit like a second skin, with little or no movement but not restrict your head and be restricted when fitting/removing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭View Profile

Yeah as Sutty said that technique sounds dodgy.

I dont know why people would bother not undoing their strap. :confused: It only takes seconds to do up/un do anyway.

I had a buckle strap on my first lid. Found in uncomfortable and difficult to adjust the tightness.
    Tried my brothers DD on his Arai and at first I found it difficult to secure. Ended up getting my own Arai and quickly learnt how to do it up. Very easy and much better IMHO.

As was said earlier, the strap under your chin should be tight. If you can twist your lid left or right, up or down when secured then either its not tight enough or its too big.
    Your clausterphobia should go away once you become confident undoing the DD quickly.

• Advertisement

Thanks guys, i reckon i will get used to the DD once im back on the bike and wearing it. Its been stuck in the box since i bought it. btw the helmet is a perfect fit.

Advertisement