Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

10 year old computer....what sort of RAM to upgrade with?

Options
  • 06-07-2009 8:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭

I have a Dell Dimension 8100 which is nearly 10 yrs old and I was thinking of trying to upgrade it from Windows ME to XP and also to increase the RAM.

Main use would be for music, video, internet and Skype.

Its has a Pentium 4 CPU 1400MHz with 128Mb of RAM.

I have an XP disc. I tried PC World for new RAM but the guy told me that they didn't stock it as its so old, that it was expensive to buy and that my best bet was to try the net. He told me to search for 800MHz of Rambus and to install a pair.

Now, I've tried this but I'm completely confused as there are so many different specs and I'm afraid of buying the wrong one.....so I'm looking for help from boards.

How much RAM could I install?
    What exactly should I buy regarding RAM spec (or links would be great)?

I only want to spend about €50 or less. The motherboard has 4 ports in total and I've attached a picture of one of the original RAM boards from it.
    Thanks in advance for help.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

You need PC800 RAMBUS memory and it's always been frickin' expensive :(

You can take up to 2GB of the stuff but seeing as that'd cost over €800 I don't think you'd want to...

Even a 128MB RDIMM will set you back well over €50 :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

In short, it'd be far more economical to just buy a better 2nd hand PC. 100 euro would buy you a machine twice as fast as that for on the likes of www.adverts.ie - and upgrading to even 512mb of that stuff will set you back a few hundred, for which you could actually buy a modern budget PC.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Don't bother with it, a stick of rambus will set you back the price of a far more modern computer.

Replace it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

a newer machine would be better, but if you want to stick with the current machine, you can get ram off ebay (512mb) for about 15 euro (free shipping on some orders). cheap solution. Xp works well on 512mb or above. here's a link to one that says it works with the dimension 8100

Advertisement