Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need to get rid of single mattress...

Options
  • 06-07-2009 8:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭

As title says, need to get rid of a single bed mattress and a futon mattress - Any ideas? I can get a van/jeep to bring them somewhere but for the hassle involved i'd prefer to just pay the few quid to have someone collect them

No pikey suggestions please :pac:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,960 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Galway Freecycle has listings offering these occasionally, they usually seem to get taken fairly quickly I think.

Failing that, see if CashFactory want it.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

http://www.adverts.ie/showcat.php?cat=42
    Unless it's trashed, then Barna Waste or the council place I guess

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Futon is dirty from general use, so it needs the bin

Can't see why anyone would want a 2nd hand mattress tbh, thanks for the idea though... I just need to get rid of them asap

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I suggest burning them, blood soaked mattresses always get you funny looks no matter what way you try to get rid of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭fish fingers

as already has been mentioned. Barna waste is the easiest

• Advertisement

Will get in touch with Barna, thanks folks!

Bonfire came into mind alright ;) But don't think futon will burn easily and springs will be left in mattress (base of the bed is defo goin into a bonfire though)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,442 ✭✭✭JoeA3

I had to do this recently... luckily I had access to a small van, so it was as easy as taking a spin out to the land-fill place out on the headford road and flinging it onto the beds and mattresses section! They charge you by weight - i.e. they weigh the car when you arrive and again as you leave.

I don't think you'd be able to sell something like this, in fact I don't think charities are even interested in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

We've got 2 good single mattresses around the house and a few more manky ones in the shed. No demand for em I'd say.

Thanks for the info Joe, i'll see if I can get a van off one of d lads durin the week, if not i'll get onto Barna

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

Just keep in mind that Barna waste charge you for disposal based on the weight of what you want to throw out, and futons are pretty heavy(if it's a double type). Do you know anybody with a big dog who would take it as bedding? Failing that you could always put an advert in the Galway independent saying it's free to take away, I did this with a bed before and got rid of it very easily, and that was in the height of the celtic tiger!!!

• Advertisement

You're right, futons are damn heavy.... think it's out to the landfill in a van :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭Rosedale6

Im not sure what you could do with them. Ill sleep on it and get back to you!!:D

Put it on your boat and dump it in the ocean. If it floats, some sealife can make it a home. If it sinks, then nobody will know it was there at all..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

Put it on your boat and dump it in the ocean. If it floats, some sealife can make it a home. If it sinks, then nobody will know it was there at all..

...I'm hoping you're joking.

But it's a spring mattress so when it hits the bottom it'll just bounce back up again... didn't you learn anything from the episode of the Simpsons where Homer flushes all the springs down the toilet? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭gary82

Leave it outside your house overnight with a big €50 price tag on it.... It'll be gone in the morning...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

Strap it to the wooden shrub box in Spanish Parade - the next time someone knocks it over, it will bounce back and knock them over ;)

gary82 wrote: »
    Leave it outside your house overnight with a big €50 price tag on it.... It'll be gone in the morning...

Better yet, i'll lock it to the wall... GUARANTEED to be gone in the morning :D

• Registered Users Posts: 25,960 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Failing that you could always put an advert in the Galway independent saying it's free to take away, I did this with a bed before and got rid of it very easily, and that was in the height of the celtic tiger!!!

Celtic-tiger-cubs take note:

Unless some thing is truly blood splattered (or covered in radio-active waste from John Cleary's failed doomsday machine), it is not useless. There ARE people out there who are very happy to receive 2nd hand stuff. Your mattress etc may be "manky" in your eyes, but it's likely better than what a lot of kids in some suburbs are sleeping on tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 the_scientist

Galway City Council will collect it from your house as part of their bulky goods collection. It's €5 for a single mattress, as far as I can remember, €10 for bigger items ... and electrical items are collected for free if you are getting something else collected.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭gary82

Wow that's a great service, never heard of it so just googled it there...

http://www.galwaycity.ie/AllServices/WasteManagement/BulkGoodsCollection/

...I'm hoping you're joking.

... no ...

Galway City Council will collect it from your house as part of their bulky goods collection. It's €5 for a single mattress, as far as I can remember, €10 for bigger items ... and electrical items are collected for free if you are getting something else collected.
    gary82 wrote: »
    Wow that's a great service, never heard of it so just googled it there...

http://www.galwaycity.ie/AllServices/WasteManagement/BulkGoodsCollection/

Bingo! Thanks very much folks

Advertisement