Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Credit Card Expiry

Options
  • 06-07-2009 9:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭

My credit card is due to expire at the end of August. I will be in the States for the month of August and wondering would I have any issues using the credit card during the month.

I rang the bank today (Halifax) and asked them to issue the new card early and they said they cant do this. Only way they can issue one is early is cancel my current card and sent out a new one.

Any info would be appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

It's a stupid policy not being able to issue the new one early - unless someone can tell me what I've missed?

As for the card ... once your bank say it's ok (when the shop checks with them) then the expiry date matters not, in my experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

No more than the hotel I booked incorrectly and tried to "change" today, some things in life are rediculus. The online place wouldn't do it, so I rang up the hotel. No problem, done there and then. Point it, if you really try hard enough there's ways around things.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

It'll be valid right up to the last day of the expiry month, so unless you're staying past that point it shouldn't be an issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 VanHeusen

It will be accepted gladly and with a smile. OK, I cannot guarantee the smile, but the card will work in the States until 31/08 23:59:59 local time -- even though it already will be 01/09 in Ireland! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭sgarvan

Cheers,

thats what I thought but wanted to make sure

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭tooler7

Random wrote: »
    It's a stupid policy not being able to issue the new one early - unless someone can tell me what I've missed?

As for the card ... once your bank say it's ok (when the shop checks with them) then the expiry date matters not, in my experience.

The reason they have to block it down is because they cannot just pick one card out to issue it out early. People whos expiry date are the same the cards leave on the same day which is thousands of cards that are printing at the same time so its just not possible for them to pick one card put of many cards they are all printing at the same time.Say you have a credit card with so so with expiry date 07/09 everyones card who expiry date is at that time will leave at the same time.Not possible for someone to search through loads of cards.

They just cant change it for you over the phone and send a new cd because then that will be changing the card details and will make your current ones invalid thats why its blocked

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

Next time, ring them tell them the card is broke and ask for a replacement. Problem fixed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 653 ✭✭✭CSC

Next time, ring them tell them the card is broke and ask for a replacement. Problem fixed.

And the replacement comes with the same expiry date I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

CSC wrote: »
    And the replacement comes with the same expiry date I believe.

lol, what a tool of a comment to make, he should hang his head in shame :o

I just did it last month and the new expiry date is another 2 years(BOI), but your right, not all CC companies will be the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,650 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

lol, what a tool of a comment to make, he should hang his head in shame :o

I just did it last month and the new expiry date is another 2 years(BOI), but your right, not all CC companies will be the same.

Actually NO.

His comment in true (or at least was last year) for AIB....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Any time my CC is damaged, crack or worn I just ring the bank and they send out a replacement, with a new expiry date.

Advertisement