Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Citizenship for baby born abroad

• 06-07-2009 9:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 25

Does anybody have experience with a baby born outside of Ireland and how we can go about getting a passport for it? Is it straighforward or does it take long?

I'm a naturalised Irish citizen but my wife is a non-EU national and she's planning to give birth in her home country. However, the baby isn't eligible to obtain her country's passport.

I thought it was pretty straightforward to apply via the closest embassy but some people told me it won't be fast. The baby needs to travel eventually and can't be stateless!

I'd like to hear your 2 cents.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

Shekamu wrote: »
    Does anybody have experience with a baby born outside of Ireland and how we can go about getting a passport for it? Is it straighforward or does it take long?

I'm a naturalised Irish citizen but my wife is a non-EU national and she's planning to give birth in her home country. However, the baby isn't eligible to obtain her country's passport.

I thought it was pretty straightforward to apply via the closest embassy but some people told me it won't be fast. The baby needs to travel eventually and can't be stateless!

I'd like to hear your 2 cents.

I'd look on here - http://www.dfa.ie/home/index.aspx?id=253 and give them a ring if you can't find the answer. If you're naturalised Irish, do you have another citizenship which the baby could take?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

Also there is a UN declaration which guarentees all children a nationality.

http://www.unhchr.ch/html/menu3/b/25.htm

Ireland is a signatory:

http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/peo_rig_of_the_chi_con_sig-people-rights-child-convention-signatories

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

Well you're an Irish Citizen, naturalized or not, so the baby qualifies for Irish Citizenship as far as I am aware.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

I would concur. Contact the nearest Irish embassy and register the birth there and they will arrange a passport for your child.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭golum

A child of an Irish citizen is an Irish citizen no matter where he or she is born.
    Embassies generally issue passports only to Irish citizens who are registered with them, ie not to those merely in the country for a short stay-other than in emergencies. Not having a passport does not make one stateless, in fact I would venture than most new-born babies do not have their own passports.
    I don't see how the child is not eligible for citizenship of the country of which the OP's wife is a citizen, the child will be born in that country to a citizen of that country, I am not aware of any country in which a child is not automatically entitled to citizenship in such a case

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dermot_sheehan

Like poster said child of an irish citizen is an irish citizen.

Child's birth certificate and your naturalization certificate is what is required to get the child a passport

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 damp sponge

This is kind of unrelated to this thread but I'm curious... if a Child of an Irish Citizen is an Irish Citizen, is the child of that Irish Citizen an Irish Citizen and so forth and so on?

Is there some sort of cut off point? i.e A lot of Irish have emigrated over the years but I'm pretty sure they don't have a claim to citizenship.

Thanks and I hope I haven't taken this off topic.

Nope. There is no cut off point so long as one parent is an Irish Citizen. There are an estimated 100 million people worldwide that could claim Irish citizenship.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,844 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

And if i could digress also, rather than start a new thread.
    A guy i work with and his wife are both polish. They have recently had a son here in ireland. The baby qualifies for irish citizenship, but the father was asking me is it possible for the baby to be dual-citizen (?) of Poland and Ireland. Has anyone come across this?

Yes. It is a very common occurance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,739 ✭✭✭pawrick

worked in the passport office a few years back.

register the birth with the local Irish embassy. Have all your documentation ready as they will ask for everything to prove one parent is an Irish citizen. Check it all out before the child is born so you know what to do and what is needed. The non EU part is the problem as it makes things more complicated re the paper work. There have been changes since I worked there so best to ask them directly.

good luck btw :)

also dual citizenship is recognised in Ireland but some other countries do not recognise it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,844 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

Bond-007 wrote: »
    Yes. It is a very common occurance.

Many thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Shekamu

Thanks everyone. I've emailed the closest embassy and will see what they say.

On one of the official websites I found something re: this matter which said that a child born to an Irish citizen is an Irish citizen irrespective of the place of birth. However, it said that if the parent is a naturalised citizen who was not born in Ireland, we have to go through extra checks and the process could take up to 12-15 months.

I know that eventually the baby will be granted a passport but I'm just worried about how long it would take.

For the person who asked about the mother's citizenship, she is a national of a GCC state and they do not grant citizenship to the children of women who are married to foreigners no matter what the circumstances were. The child always takes on the nationality of the father.

I have given up my own previous nationality so am now only an Irish citizen. It would be complicated to try to get dual citizenship again as I would owe two years of compulsory military service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,727 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Jimdagym wrote: »
    And if i could digress also, rather than start a new thread.
    A guy i work with and his wife are both polish. They have recently had a son here in ireland. The baby qualifies for irish citizenship, but the father was asking me is it possible for the baby to be dual-citizen (?) of Poland and Ireland. Has anyone come across this?

Depends on the nationality of the parents, some countries allow this, some do not, Singapore for example will revoke the citizenship of those born then who get citizenship somewhere else.

Bond-007 wrote: »
    Nope. There is no cut off point so long as one parent is an Irish Citizen. There are an estimated 100 million people worldwide that could claim Irish citizenship.

Not the case. Irish citizenship to those born outside the State stops after the third generation born outside the State unless the person's parent's birth was registered on the Register of Foreign Births.

It is doubtful that even half of the figure referred to could actually obtain an Irish passport

Irish citizenship to those born outside the State stops after the third generation born outside the State unless the person's parent's birth was registered on the Register of Foreign Births.
    You better not tell the Irish in America that. They know the score and I know of several generations that were born in Boston that are all registered as Irish Citizens having never set foot here.

Once the Foreign Births Register has been kept up to date there is no problem. However, the problem arises if this has been allowed to lapse, as it cannot be corrected retrospectively.

In many cases where the connection by birth extends beyond 3 generations the Register has not been updated with each subsequent generation. Therefore, while there are many people who have never set foot in Ireland, or whose parents never did, and have citizenship this does not in any way imply that everybody who had a great grandparent born in Ireland will be able to acquire an Irish passport even if they can prove their connection to that person.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Hazel3003

Well, did your child get Irish citizenship yet? :)

Advertisement