Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

toyotta corolla problem

• 06-07-2009 9:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭

Recently my friend bought his second Corolla, a 2L Diesel Hatchback. He heard a grinding/squealing sound from the front brakes so he got the front brake pads changed.
    Okay the problem is that now when breaking at a low speed (just before the car stops) there is a bad shudder in the brake pedal. It sounds like the ABS kicking in for a second and then the car stops. At any other speed the brakes work fine.
    He brought it back to the garage (not a Toyota) and the only explanation they could come up was that one of the brake discs (?) has a ridge in it that only seems to go 2/3 of the way around the disk. They said to see if the pads settle in after a few weeks?

why didn't the car have these problems before the break pads were changed? And I should say the garage in question aren't dodgy or anything cos he's been using them for years. Any help would great, thanks a lot.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭jaffa20

oh just another question about my car. does anyone know where i could get some nice wind deflectors fitted on an audi a3 2001. I like to drive with the windows open and the wind can be a pain in the ass, also i smoke so it would be nice to have less of the wind in ear experience. Was looking at the pair on micksgarage. Would these be any good. thanks guys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

The pads might need to bed in for about 100 miles or so to the disc, they could try putting copper grease on them to resolve the problem. The old pads would have been moulded over time to the discs and so he wouldn't have had that problem with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

The old pads were left on too long and they wore down to the metal creating a ridge on the disc. The shudder is the ridge digging into the new pads, scimming across the surface. The pads won't last long unless the discs are changed too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

Sometimes the ABS will cut in at low speeds if the gap is wrong between the sensor and the rotor.

Not sure if you can adjust the gap on a corolla though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 366 ✭✭doccy

just gona bump dis thread as I'm the owner of said corolla.

Decided to get the discs and pads changed together and the problem still remains. Worried now it might be the abs but no warning light comes on and brakes work fine the rest of the time. Any ideas or suggestions much appreciated.

• Advertisement
Advertisement