Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bud 330ml Now 300ml WHY??

Options
  • 06-07-2009 9:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭

hi guys

does anyone know why they sneakly changed the 24 pacs and 20 packs of bud from 330ml long necks to 300ml long necks.

i noticed the change last year, but when there is offers on bud you only get the 300mls but if you buy a 6 packs its 330ml :)
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭FusionNet

I would assume its for financial greed. Just the same reason why Mars bars are smaller than the used to be. They often use the excuse its for health reasons, ya right.. Money money money....

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭APM

as far as I know they still do both sizes, just at different times and on different promotions and mainly for profit margin reasons because Diageo believe their customers are too naive to realise the size difference

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

competitiveness!

large boxes of miller have stolen their thunder

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭IrishWhiskeyCha

So let me get this right .... your complaining that you feel your getting cheated by buying 20x300ml bottles of Bud for €17.99 (3Euro per litre) instead of 6x330ml for €9.79 (€4.95 per liter).

:rolleyes:

These are Current Tesco prices. And even if it was €22.99 for a box of 20x300ml it still is only €3.84 per liter.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

hi guys

does anyone know why they sneakly changed the 24 pacs and 20 packs of bud from 330ml long necks to 300ml long necks.

i noticed the change last year, but when there is offers on bud you only get the 300mls but if you buy a 6 packs its 330ml :)

to protect you from it?
    :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭tippguy

its done to prevent publicans coming into off licences and buying multi pack bottles and selling them off for €5 a pop. if a publican wants to buy 4 6 packs of bud for €40 in an offie hes more than welcome but he'd get it cheaper in a wholsaler. 20 pack and 24 pack 300ml's are discounted by the retailer not the wholsaler

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,865 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

tippguy wrote: »
    its done to prevent publicans coming into off licences and buying multi pack bottles and selling them off for €5 a pop.
    How does it do this? A 300ml bottle isn't going to stop dishonest retailers, any more than the label saying "Brewed by Beamish & Crawford, Newry, UK. NOT FOR INDIVIDUAL RESALE" which I saw on a bottle of Miller in a Dublin restaurant recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭getoffthepot

hi guys

greed - same as 200ml coke bottle in Pubs.
    they don't want you getting 2 mixers from one bottle!!!

Greedy publicans - They are now getting what they deserve.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

You can still get both sizes it just changes with the offers, before christmas i got 24x330ml in dunnes on special offer while at the same time tesco was offering 24x300ml for the same price

its done to prevent publicans coming into off licences and buying multi pack bottles and selling them off for €5 a pop. if a publican wants to buy 4 6 packs of bud for €40 in an offie hes more than welcome but he'd get it cheaper in a wholsaler. 20 pack and 24 pack 300ml's are discounted by the retailer not the wholsaler

This is true. Whenever we had miller or bud 330ml bottle on sale all the local publicans would clean the place out, leaving no stock for our regular customers. This is why there are customer quotas in many supermarkets during special offers.
    The publicans near us haven't been up since the 300ml bottles came out.

• Advertisement

95% of pubs won't buy 300ml bottles. obviously you'll get a few that will be an exception. its the same in the off licences. 95% will sell 500ml cans. but 5% are allways going to be bad sheep and buy the english stock which imo is the same thing

95% will sell 500ml cans. but 5% are allways going to be bad sheep and buy the english stock which imo is the same thing
    Though London-brewed Bud is 5% ABV and I'd be willing to bet (or at least invent a statistic) that 95% of shoppers will prefer a 440ml can of stronger beer.

couldnt agree with ya more beer nut but bar the odd carryout and tescos most offies will stock 4.3% stuff. Irish jobs and all that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

FusionNet wrote: »
    I would assume its for financial greed. Just the same reason why Mars bars are smaller than the used to be. They often use the excuse its for health reasons, ya right.. Money money money....

It is for health reasons. Drinking 300ml of urine is marginally healthier than drinking 330ml.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭ToTheSea:

FruitLover wrote: »
    It is for health reasons. Drinking 300ml of urine is marginally healthier than drinking 330ml.

+1 Bud is gank

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭toiletduck

hi guys

I don't think it's been "sneakly" done. I've seen both in local offy (which I do the odd hour or two in), E1.89 (or thereabouts) for the 330ml and the 300ml is a euro a bottle.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

APM wrote: »
    because Diageo believe their customers are too naive to realise the size difference
    You'd be right! Trying to explain to customers that the 20 packs are 300ml bottles and the 6 packs are 330mls, is like, well, much much harder than it should be. Especially to those special folk from nice council estates.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Jeanious

feck it anyway, let's not go the way of the uk. They must have 10 different sizes of bottles and cans over there, not to mention the fact that ive seen cigarettes come in 15,16,17,18,19 and 20 packs....goddamn it diageo et al, fags come in 10s and 20s, a bottle of gargle is 330ml and a can is 500ml...end of!

coyle wrote: »
    fags come in 10s and 20s, a bottle of gargle is 330ml and a can is 500ml...end of!
    Happy 30th birthday!

BeerNut wrote: »
    Happy 30th birthday!

You too
    :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭holmyster

its all about money

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭holmyster

happy b/day

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

feck it anyway, let's not go the way of the uk. They must have 10 different sizes of bottles and cans over there, not to mention the fact that ive seen cigarettes come in 15,16,17,18,19 and 20 packs....goddamn it diageo et al, fags come in 10s and 20s, a bottle of gargle is 330ml and a can is 500ml...end of!

I think someone is telling porkies a 19 packet of cigs ffs. Next you will be telling me you can get 275ml bottles of carleberg export.

...wait that last one is true :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

What I can not understand is why you complain here, instead of reading the price per litre.
    If you are being ripped off in one place, shop in another

Also, complain about the seller not the manufacturer

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

I think someone is telling porkies a 19 packet of cigs ffs. Next you will be telling me you can get 275ml bottles of carleberg export.

...wait that last one is true :P

In the Hotel on the quays in newry, the Ciggeratte machine gives 16 in a pack, and rounds down the price to save change.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭golfman

I used to work for a beer company and I can tell you the definitive answer to this.........

Pence/Cents per litre.

You can reduce the bottle size marginally and discount the price a bit - the consumers percieve they are getting a better deal while the brewer/distibuter pushes up his pence per litre which is something they will be targeted on.

In the Hotel on the quays in newry, the Ciggeratte machine gives 16 in a pack, and rounds down the price to save change.

I believe 16 is possible. I remember 15 JP Blues and B&H had a 14 pack a while back. but it is a 19 pack I am questioning :D

absolutely, and i bet ya it was just a 20 box with 4 taken out?

I was told it has somethin to do with tax, but im tellin ya greenmachine ive seen all them packs in various vending machines in the UK (though never in an actual shop). Amsterdam actually seems to have only 19 packs in vending machines for some reason...same deal, its a normal 20 box with one missing.

aaaaanyway....id easily believe what golfman says about price/litre, and my original point was that they shouldnt let a situation develop where ya can have all manner of different sized bottles; some things are sacrosanct dammit!

(PS thanks for all the birthday wishes :confused::confused:)

they shouldnt let a situation develop where ya can have all manner of different sized bottles
    I regularly buy beer in 25cl, 33cl, 35cl, 35.5cl, 50cl, 56.8cl, 60cl, 66cl and 75cl bottles, and would be very annoyed if these came off the market because some people are too stupid to read labels.

Caveat pisshead.

• Advertisement

absolutely, and i bet ya it was just a 20 box with 4 taken out?

I was told it has somethin to do with tax, but im tellin ya greenmachine ive seen all them packs in various vending machines in the UK (though never in an actual shop). Amsterdam actually seems to have only 19 packs in vending machines for some reason...same deal, its a normal 20 box with one missing.

aaaaanyway....id easily believe what golfman says about price/litre, and my original point was that they shouldnt let a situation develop where ya can have all manner of different sized bottles; some things are sacrosanct dammit!

(PS thanks for all the birthday wishes :confused::confused:)

I don't know what to tell you I am a lil baffled to be honest. It could certainly be true just seem a little weird to me like the number 11 on the amp in that Spinal tap movie... because 11 is bigger than ten.:D Actually picked 19 on purpose because it seemed the weirdest. Now that I think of it I am sure I have got some 17 or was it 18 packs in Spain. This all of a sudden is seeming quite possible. :eek: and 24 packs too if I do recall:)

Advertisement