Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Biggest cliffhanger

• 06-07-2009 11:05pm
    Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Recently I got the West Wing and quite frankly, loving it.

What got me Wondering, what shows have much bigger cliffhangers then the westwing.

Thats the cliff hanger of Season 2 (tis awesome)

Whats the best cliffhanger you recall. remember to use spoilers!

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,109 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Lost is pretty good for big cliffhangers that make pissed off that you have to wait months to see what happens.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

Lost is pretty good for big cliffhangers that make pissed off that you have to wait months to see what happens.

well thats the great thing about boxsets!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭anotherlostie

Alias had a pretty big cliffhanger at the end of Season 2 when Sydney found out that Vaughn was
    married to someone else
    and she was
    missing presumed dead for 2 years
    , all this just after the epic fight with bad Francie
    in her, and our time

And come to think of it, Season 1 wasn't bad either when she met her
    long presumed dead mother
    who was actually the front for a criminal gang!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Brimmy

Use spoilers god damn it!

Thanks for reminding me of half the stuff I forgot because I have the dvds to get back through.

Angel Season 5 was pretty big but perfect at the same time so can't complain. Friday Night Lights Season 3 is single handidly the greatest I've seen, completely changing the show and making a whole new element to it that makes the entire show fresh. All turned beautifully over the course of 40 minutes when the penultimate episode would have been a fantastic season and series finale. Both were amazing. For such an amazing show. Can't wait for it to come back. So happy it got another two seasons :)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Angel had a good few as did Buffy - "Passions", what Cordy did in the S4 Angel arc, "Mum? Mom? Mommy?!" spring to mind.

Alias - as mentioned above (and let's not forget the one mid-way through S2 - yeah that one).

True Blood has them every week!

Doctor Who - "Caves of Androzani" when the Doctor gets machine-gunned down.

Twin Peaks - S2 finale : Leo racing forth with "Shelly!" but, most of all, banging the head in the mirror and going evilly "How's Annie?" over and over.

... ack too many, must sleep, will think of more...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,054 ✭✭✭✭Basq

I still stand by the opinion the season 3 finale of 'Lost' had the best cliffhanger in recent memory!

I think it was the combination of the WTF moment (and it changed the show forever) and Jack's final line (Matthew Fox was superb in the scene).. just epic stuff! As a reminder:

Unfortunately, the season 4 or 5 cliffhanger (although good) haven't come close to matching it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭tvnutz

Alias had some brilliant cliffhangers, and actually the season 1 cliffhanger of the West wing was a lot better than season 2 IMO.

I really like how True Blood has one at the end of every episode,Alias did that for a while but kind of stopped. It really makes you want to see the next episode right away!

BSG had some good ones,most notably the season 1 finale where
    boomer shoots adama
    and the season 3 finale where
    The 4 cylons are revealed and starbuck returns.

Also have to say season 3 of Supernatural
    Dean actually dying and going to hell,that last scene with him in hell and crying out for Sam,brilliant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Recently I got the West Wing and quite frankly, loving it.

What got me Wondering, what shows have much bigger cliffhangers then the westwing.

Thats the cliff hanger of Season 2 (tis awesome)

Whats the best cliffhanger you recall. remember to use spoilers!
    That scene is incredible alright. Absolutely incredible. However, I don't think it's a cliff hanger as such because when he puts his hands in his pockets it is a clear reference to the flashbacks of him at school with Mrs. Landingham. You know he's going to run for a second term at that point.

But still, an amazing scene. Thanks for reminding me to watch the West Wing again!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I think Lost is the daddy when it comes to cliffhangers. One of them which came to mind when I saw the thread was the ending to a Season 2 episode involving Michael and Ben in the hatch. I'll say no more than that but Lost fans know what I'm talking about.

Probably one of the most shocking moments I've seen in a television drama. As soon as the credits rolled I was sitting there going "WTF?!"

Brilliant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭danh789

SPOILERS......

For its impact on the TV world I would have to say 24 season 1
    when Nina killed Jacks wife
    , because it really put the show on the map. Although I still think the Day 4 and Day 5 cliff-hangers when
    Jack faked his own death and when he was captured by the Chinese are slightly better

MOD EDIT: I know you warned danh789 but please read our charter which gives clear instructions on how to insert spoiler tags.
    Remember, not everyone may have seen a TV show.
    If you are giving away plot points, please use the spoiler tag.
    To do this, put (spoiler) (/spoiler) around the text. (replace the () brackets with [] brackets.)

It will then look like this:

Spoiler:
    This is a spoiler

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

Personally I thought Battlestar Galactica's Season 2 Episode 20, Lay Down Your Burdens, Part 2 was one of, if not the best cliffhanger in memory.
    Not knowing if the "1 year later" was a dream, or some sort of warning to Baltar of the impending doom;
    but it really hit all the right spots with me and left me counting the days until the next episode aired.

Lost on the other hand, has always seemed to use WTF moments which get progressively more profound the closer to the season end you get. By the end your just so confused and brimming with curiousity, that you cant wait until the next episode - I dont think that is really the same as a true cliffhanger though. But it works.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

basquille wrote: »
    I still stand by the opinion the season 3 finale of 'Lost' had the best cliffhanger in recent memory!

I think it was the combination of the WTF moment (and it changed the show forever) and Jack's final line (Matthew Fox was superb in the scene).. just epic stuff! As a reminder:

Unfortunately, the season 4 or 5 cliffhanger (although good) haven't come close to matching it.

Couldn't agree more with this, wraps up the whole reason why I Idolise this show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭iguana

The last episode of Babylon 5 series 3; Z'Ha'Dum. Between that episode and the return on channel 4 nearly 10 months later I used to feel actual physical pain across my chest wondering what happened.:o

Nearly as bad was the mid-season break in series 3 Point of No Return. Luckily for me there was no break on C4 so I only had a week to wait. Unluckily for me it was shown the night before I did my Irish Leaving Cert exam so I couldn't study the night before and the next day I sat in my exam going over and over the episode. I got a C.:(

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Cant find a clip of it on Youtube, but the mid season break during season 2 of Battlestar Galactica, where Adama and Cain face off to the Prelude to War music. Absolutly epic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

Who was Eric Cartmans father...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

For end of season cliffhangers I would have to go with the end of Season 3 of Lost. Closely followed by the Season 2 ending of Alias. Season 2 ending of BSG was brilliant as well.

For Cliffhangers during a season well Season 4 of Angel wins hands down. Almost every episode ended with some epic event and it was an ordeal to wait a week for the next episode. Alias was great for great endings also.

I have started to watch Season One of True Blood and thank god I have all the episodes cos those endings kill me. I woudl hate to have to wait a week for the next episode.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,049 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Season 1 of Prison Break I thought had loads of great cliffhangers.(most notably the one after the montage)

Agree with all the BSG and True Blood mentions to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,964 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

BopNiblets wrote: »
    Who was Eric Cartmans father...

This was great because they showed a Terence and Phillip episode instead of the second part :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,559 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Ivan wrote: »
    Personally I thought Battlestar Galactica's Season 2 Episode 20, Lay Down Your Burdens, Part 2 was one of, if not the best cliffhanger in memory.
    Not knowing if the "1 year later" was a dream, or some sort of warning to Baltar of the impending doom;
    but it really hit all the right spots with me and left me counting the days until the next episode aired.

I'd go along with that .
    It's the best I've seen in years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭GrahamThomas

The season 4 finale of The West Wing, when
    Zoe Bartlett is kidnapped
    is a fantastic cliffhanger. Love the use of music ("Angel" by Massive Attack) is that scene as well:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

+1 for Who killed JR?

also

Who shot Mr Burns?

Advertisement