Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Councillor Clare Daly on Vincent Browne.

Options
  • 06-07-2009 11:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭

General discussion about the electrical strike. She has to be the rudest politician bar Dick Roche. Accused Leo Varadkar of speaking out of both sides of his mouth (when he gave a reasonably balanced analysis of the argument), and then said he was talking rubbish. Dont know how he didnt hit her a slap.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭InvisibleBadger

Giving her a slap might not look too good come the next election!

Was an interesting show, although i'm more confused after it. Both sides have good arguments and both sides are also being silly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

General discussion about the electrical strike. She has to be the rudest politician bar Dick Roche. Accused Leo Varadkar of speaking out of both sides of his mouth (when he gave a reasonably balanced analysis of the argument), and then said he was talking rubbish. Dont know how he didnt hit her a slap.

the majority of the far left are very angry people

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Was an interesting show, although i'm more confused after it. Both sides have good arguments and both sides are also being silly.

Well I think it brought two points to the fore.
    1. Now is no time to be calling a strike.
    2. If the people who subcontracted the work got paid the extra money that was due to the electricians, then they should pass it on.

And what is it about Union lads and beards. What are they hiding. Yer man from the TEEU (I think) looks like a clone of Jack O'Connor, and talks the same crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

She's always been like that, not an ounce of decency and politeness about her, unfortunately some people around my area see this militancy as a good thing and hence her being a councillor.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

she is behaving like her voters want to

its obviously what attracted them to her

"look at her giving it to them politicians!"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

Exactly my point, stick it to the man and all that. Even if what she's trying to stick is as adhesive as a banana skin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭wexford202

She has no face for the TV though. She turns my stomach. Just the sight of her.

She's no Berlusconi Babe, granted, but I think looks would be pretty low in the list of things I look for in a politician.

Wouldn't be her biggest fan, but think she's representing those who voted for her and expect her to be bolshie and militant. She wasn't elected to don business suits and bat for groups like IBEC.

claredsmall.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

She is a dogmatic witch, with a really skewed view of reality.

She wasnt too bad on VB on Monday. She was worse when she was on the show previously, and arguing for a new "lefty" Ireland along with RBB. She was simply appalling that night.

• Advertisement

Het-Field wrote: »

She wasnt too bad on VB on Monday. She was worse when she was on the show previously, and arguing for a new "lefty" Ireland along with RBB. She was simply appalling that night.

nor is she as obnoxious as the odious kieran allen who last week made an on air call to bolshevism to the people of irleand , seriously , at least daly is an elected councelor , the other joker has probably never been elected to sing at an xmas party

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭sovtek

She wasn't great the previous night you are talking about and VB took her to task. However the "economist" from UCD couldn't win the argument without personally attacking her and came out with the rubbish comparison with Australia. RBB batted their privatization argument down when Constantine and the other panelist (cant remember the name) starting pimping privatization and put up Eircom as a good example.
    Otherwise Daly is a bit dogmatic but her view of reality is pretty much dead on. It's the other "economists" on the panel whose idealogy doesn't fit with reality. When they tried to come out suggesting that Ireland was somehow following lefty economics and thats why Australia was doing better. What a joke!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

irish_bob wrote: »
    nor is she as obnoxious as the odious kieran allen who last week made an on air call to bolshevism to the people of irleand , seriously , at least daly is an elected councelor , the other joker has probably never been elected to sing at an xmas party

He's a sociology lecturer. Have you to be elected to be on a TV panel show now ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭kravmaga

@OP

I live in North County Dublin and in fairness to Clare Daly she has done a lot of good work in the local community here.

She is able, competent at her job and has been relentless in pursuing local issues here with the relevant authorities. I have no issues with her ability to do her job.

It does not matter what she looks like , she is not shrinking violet but she is not afraid to challenge issues which she feels need to be addressed in our community.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Whatever about Daly but when that windbag Dearbhail McDonnell from the Indo is on I simply have to switch off. I'd sware I've even seen Vincent cringe on occasion when she goes off on one.

Alan Rouge wrote: »
    He's a sociology lecturer. Have you to be elected to be on a TV panel show now ?

in my book , you need to be hold some elected possition in order to call for an overthrow of a state

irish_bob wrote: »
    in my book , you need to be hold some elected possition in order to call for an overthrow of a state

Fair enough, I don't think I'd like your book though.

Higgins and McKenna are on tonight arguing against The Lisbon Treaty . Alan Dukes and some former Judge is also on arguing in favour of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Is it too much to ask that politicians be judged on policies and what they say and do rather than what they look like and cliched stereotypes of their ideology?

I didn't see the show, but I'd be interested in knowing what the discussion was about and what she said, if anyone knows.

It was about the electrician strike but strikes in the country in general.

You can watch previous episodes on the website : http://www.tv3.ie/videos.php?video=11035&locID=1.65.169&date=2009-07-06&date_mode=&page=1&show_cal=&newspanel=&showspanel=&web_only=&full_episodes=

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

sovtek wrote: »
    She wasn't great the previous night you are talking about and VB took her to task. However the "economist" from UCD couldn't win the argument without personally attacking her

Which funnily enough is all that people on here can do as well.

Seriously guys, surely you can do something a bit better than slate a female politicians personal apperance, what a cliche!
    For the record ,none of the men on VB nightly panels are excatly contenders for Model of the year competitons? Why dont you comment on how ugly they look?

She topped the polls in the recent elections so she must be doing something right. I didnt see Clare Daly on VB but I have a huge amount of respect for her. Personally,I like her honest,direct demeanour,its very refreshing.

• Advertisement

panda100 wrote: »
    Which funnily enough is all that people on here can do as well.

Seriously guys, surely you can do something a bit better than slate a female politicians personal apperance, what a cliche!
    For the record ,none of the men on VB nightly panels are excatly contenders for Model of the year competitons? Why dont you comment on how ugly they look?

She topped the polls in the recent elections so she must be doing something right. I didnt see Clare Daly on VB but I have a huge amount of respect for her. Personally,I like her honest,direct demeanour,its very refreshing.

Do you also like her theories on robbing the economically mobile in society to keep failing businesses like SR Technics and Waterford Crystal in operation ? Her solution was for the government to freeze the assets of wealthy men like Denis O Brien, Michael Smurfit etc to pay for the artificial propping up of failed private entities. Furthermore, she wants full scale nationalisation of the banks, she wants to promote "jobsharing", while giving carte blanche to the Unions vis-a-vis their unreasonable demands. There is my problem with the woman.

Do you also like her theories on robbing the economically mobile in society to keep failing businesses like SR Technics and Waterford Crystal in operation ? Her solution was for the government to freeze the assets of wealthy men like Denis O Brien, Michael Smurfit etc to pay for the artificial propping up of failed private entities. Furthermore, she wants full scale nationalisation of the banks, she wants to promote "jobsharing", while giving carte blanche to the Unions vis-a-vis their unreasonable demands. There is my problem with the woman.

and everyone else,s who has any sense

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭sovtek

Yup

• Registered Users Posts: 19,326 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Have to say, I'm at a loss as to why some would find Claie Daly so outrageous based on the VB appearance. It was rather subdued compared to some people I've seen on panels.

I know she doesn't have the right "looks", or the correct "accent", which for some is more important than her actual political persuasion. But, if anyone was making a show of themselves that night, it was Chris Lundy.

Her solution was for the government to freeze the assets of wealthy men like Denis O Brien, Michael Smurfit etc to pay for the artificial propping up of failed private entities.

Ha.

It must have been very hard to keep a straight face. Wonder does she really believe that stuff herself, surely she can't...

Ha.

It must have been very hard to keep a straight face. Wonder does she really believe that stuff herself, surely she can't...

Oh she does. Otherwise she would not have been beating the drum on the same issues for over 12 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Lockstep

panda100 wrote: »
    I never really understand why appearance/charisma plays such an important part in Irish politics. I'm no fan of Enda Kenny/Brian Cowen but I cringe whenever their appearance is brought up (If his looks are such an issue then get them a haircut and a Haiwaian shirt.)
    When I'm looking at a politician, I want someone who will deliver results, not look good for the camera.

Her politics are a mixed bag; I'd agree with the need for nationalisation but I wouldn't be in favour of the SP jobsharing..
    (Daly is an attractive woman though)

Tony EH wrote: »
    I know she doesn't have the right "looks", or the correct "accent", which for some is more important than her actual political persuasion. But, if anyone was making a show of themselves that night, it was Chris Lundy.

This is NOT a class issue. I already said that I think Dick Roche, who I think we will agree is very far from working class, is the most arrogant and rude politician by far.
    (Daly is an attractive woman though)

Good lord Jaysus no lad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭Rossibaby

This is NOT a class issue. I already said that I think Dick Roche, who I think we will agree is very far from working class, is the most arrogant and rude politician by far.

Good lord Jaysus no lad.

Why are people still talking about her looks? Bunch of dickheads.

Anyway, I think he has decent politics but she doesn't really do the left many favours unlike the likes of joe higgins, the way she conducts herself lets her down abit, theres sticking it to the privitisation boys, and theres just been rude. She needs to be a bit more clever and relentless and a little less sharp because it just makes her look like a bitter politician with a grudge. I have no doubt she does alot of good work though and that is what counts.

• Advertisement

Rossibaby wrote: »
    Why are people still talking about her looks? Bunch of dickheads.

Anyway, I think he has decent politics but she doesn't really do the left many favours unlike the likes of joe higgins, the way she conducts herself lets her down abit, theres sticking it to the privitisation boys, and theres just been rude. She needs to be a bit more clever and relentless and a little less sharp because it just makes her look like a bitter politician with a grudge. I have no doubt she does alot of good work though and that is what counts.

what good work do you think she does

Advertisement