Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

West Cork

Options
  • 07-07-2009 12:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭

I don't know where to begin on this subject so let me just mention one tiny river that is located on the beautiful osi.ie maps but has no official name.

Mizen head penninsula has a tiny river at the end of a bay that once had salmon and sea trout but they died out a few years ago. This weekend, in the rain, I watched a half dozen sea trout of at least 3 pound in weight playing around a weir as the tide rose. The owner of the land came round and told me that the river beyond used to be a spawning ground. Well, they are back.

I've never seen such beautiful, big, fearless fish.

I asked the landowner not to mention these fish to anyone until I've had a chance to ask someone their advice in the southern fisheries board.

I watched these black backed, silver bellied fish playing in the tiny tidal stream and felt not just a sense of gratitude but an awful melancholy that other men, landowners even, will net these fish until they are simply, no more.

We've so many beautiful streams and lakes and rivers on our island, wouldn't it be a true measure of our development as a nation if every waterway could hold such jewels?

Advertisement