Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bulmers Pear

Options
  • 07-07-2009 12:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭

Hi,

There might be a thread already about, but do people think of this stuff???

Peter

P.S. Mods please move if there is a thread already
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Its apparently the biggest laxative known to man judging by the After Hours thread :)

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 18,918 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

The 212 reply AH thread.

• Moderators Posts: 8,719 ✭✭✭x PyRo

It's quite nice imo. Not as nice as the Apple but it's grand. The adverts are priceless !.

Some laxative too from what i've heard... Never drank enough of it to find out thank God!.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

I had a can about 2 weeks ago, it was grand I thought then, not to Pear flavoured, unlike Koppaberg, which is really Peary.

Then I had a large bottle last Saturday and I had to buy some lager after it so's I'd be drinking something with any flavour....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭Gautama

I had a can about 2 weeks ago, it was grand I thought then, not to Pear flavoured, unlike Koppaberg, which is really Peary.

Then I had a large bottle last Saturday and I had to buy some lager after it so's I'd be drinking something with any flavour....

Koppaberg is an alcopop. The pear flavour is artificial therefore it "is really Peary" and tastes rank.

Bulmers Pear is great.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Gautama wrote: »
    Bulmers Pear is great.
    But probably an alcopop too. I'm pretty sure "pear cider" cannot legally exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭Gautama

BeerNut wrote: »
    But probably an alcopop too. I'm pretty sure "pear cider" cannot legally exist.

I think Bulmers Pear contains pear juice.

"Pear cider" is perry, but the latter term would not be recognised by or familiar to most drinkers, and hence they'd never try it (apart from Ritz drinkers of the 1980ies).

Ireland is not an alcohol drinking country really. More of a beer drinking country.

Gautama wrote: »
    I think Bulmers Pear contains pear juice.

"Pear cider" is perry, but the latter term would not be recognised by or familiar to most drinkers, and hence they'd never try it (apart from Ritz drinkers of the 1980ies).
    I don't think that's it. I think if it was legally a perry, they'd call it a perry. Bulmer's apple isn't legally a cider either, incidentally. Both contain added sugar, while legally (and I wish I could find the SI as I'm sounding like a barroom lawyer here) cider is fermented apple juice with nothing added while perry is fermented pear juice with nothing added.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

According to Oz Clarke & James May in their Drink to Britain series:

pear cider = pear flavoured apple cider

perry = cider made from specific perry pears only

As already mentioned, both Bulmers and Kopparberg aren't strictly ciders so the point is moot!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

BeerNut wrote: »
    I don't think that's it. I think if it was legally a perry, they'd call it a perry. Bulmer's apple isn't legally a cider either, incidentally. Both contain added sugar, while legally (and I wish I could find the SI as I'm sounding like a barroom lawyer here) cider is fermented apple juice with nothing added while perry is fermented pear juice with nothing added.

If bulmers can't legally be called cider, i'm sure some competitor would bring them to court over it. It would be a disaster for bulmers. And with their rip off prices, I'd have a great laugh in the process.

Quint wrote: »
    If bulmers can't legally be called cider
    I never said that. What something is called and what something is are different questions.
    Quint wrote: »
    i'm sure some competitor would bring them to court over it.
    I'm not. The law which defines cider does so for excise purposes and is a matter for no-one but the producer and the Revenue.

Labelling is a matter for the Food Safety Authority, and while they could make a fuss over this kind of thing it's not a priority.

Advertisement