Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

More hunting licence crap

Options
  • 07-07-2009 1:18am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 44

Right well i applyed for a hunting licence in one garda station (for a double barreled shotgun) and got a no because im too young and the superintendant says i need to do a safety course.

Could i go to another garda station and apply there? My friend whose a few months YOUNGER than me got one there no problem. Or would the superintendant from the first station find out that i applied there? Or would they at the second station know that i already applied? :eek:

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

You have to apply at your local station I'm afraid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Killguru

Oh ok thanks. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

How old are you first of all,and have you ever shot before,or any of your fammily own firearms?
    Ask the Super What saftey course and with Whom,and if you do so will he sign off on you then.Because quite a load of folks would like to know who the Gardai approve of for saftey courses.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Dusty87

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    How old are you first of all,and have you ever shot before,or any of your fammily own firearms?
    Ask the Super What saftey course and with Whom,and if you do so will he sign off on you then.Because quite a load of folks would like to know who the Gardai approve of for saftey courses.

Grizzly is there any that is actually recognised by the boys in blue??

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

In relation to safety courses, I think it's down to the local Super.
    From what know, the Super in one station near me insists on a course whereas others don't.

The ICPSA coaches do a course in competency specifically geared towards clay pigeon shooting and the certs given seem to be accepted by the supers.

The NARGC also do them and I'm sure their certs would be accepted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 468 ✭✭foxhunter

Grizzly 45 wrote: »

Down here the guards will accept a NARGC proficiency course or their is a guy down here that has a cert to say he is a registered coach and they will accept a letter from him either.
    The coach charges somewhere around €25/€30 for a course.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Dusty87 wrote: »
    Grizzly is there any that is actually recognised by the boys in blue??

Thats the reason I am suggesting...;) I'm sure NARGC or ICPSA certs are 100% sound and safe,but is it enough for this Super??Or all or any of them?No guidelines on this again and absolute carte blanche to the Super on that.He could turn around and say to the OP go and get it from the US NRA huner saftey course.Or whatever he feels is appropriate.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

I know that when we were learning how to give the competency course, we had a visit from two cops who were part of the FCP (AFAIK).
    They were suitably impressed with what we were doing and how we were doing it.
    I presume some sort of memo/directive/advise filtered back through the grapevine and landed on someone's desk!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭SpannerMonkey

hi guys do ye know where are these courses available to do and what is actually done in them ??

Actually the Garda in there told me to go and join the gun club, which costs 100euro, and do the safety course there. I asked if i could do a course with this man who owns a clay shooting ground AND a gunshop and he said no.

What he said was something along the lines of "its just that the Super thinks your a bit young and immature. He says you'll have to do a safety course. Now theres one with this gunclub, but thats not until July, but i guess you'll be 17 by then anyway" <snip>

Like WTF?? I just want to shoot some magpies and foxes on my own land or fields around them.

<snip>

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭bazza888

your going to shoot foxes with a shot gun?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

your 16 right, get a note from your parents or guardian to allow you to keep a firearm "in there home "stating there happy for you to own this gun.

get another two farmer to sign cover notes and re apply in writing .

loose the attitude also, its not a right to own a firearm

bazza888 wrote: »

Yes ive seen it done many times. Just last week at 40 yds.
    jwshooter wrote: »
    your 16 right, get a note from your parents or guardian to allow you to keep a firearm "in there home "stating there happy for you to own this gun.

get another two farmer to sign cover notes and re apply in writing .

loose the attitude also, its not a right to own a firearm

Ha I know it sounds like an attitude, but im just annoyed. Its just the fact that i have to do a particular safety course and i dont have 100euro! The gun cost me 50! Like the only problem is the safety course.

Even the gun dealer told me hes reluctant to give out licenses to anyone. I should also note that i know someone who got a licence straight away in another station who is 6 months younger than me. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

bazza888 wrote: »

What's wrong with that? A shotgun will easily take down a fox.

Try applying for a single barrel shotgun? Might have a better chance. Contrary to what some might believe, if you are within the parimiters of the law, there should be no reason why you should not have a fire arm.

Advertisement