Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Am I too late to apply as a mature student for 2009/2010

Options
  • 07-07-2009 2:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,227 ✭✭✭

Hi,

After being made redundant last year and having no luck on the jobs front I decided in the last few days to get myself into college and do something with my life. Problem is I think I might be a bit late in applying or am I???

I still need to talk to the DFSW about the back to education allowance but back to my main question.. Am I too late to apply to the college for the coming school year?? I was hoping to do one of the engineering courses as thats where my interests are..

Thanks,

Darragh
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Not The Real Scarecrow

Too late unfortunately, unless a new course starts off this year, then you apply directly through the college.All courses require you to apply through the cao around feb. I think.
    Same thing happened to the wife this year, she was also going to do a masters course out there but when nothing really took her fancy she decided maybe to start over and try another degree, no joy this year though.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭kob29

There are some courses with vacant places appearing on the cao website which you can still apply for. I think Tipperary Institute has a nice range, although not engineering based. There may be more, although its probably unlikely when the offers are out in august. You could look into plc courses for the coming year which would be a stepping stone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭sparkling sea

You could try contacting the course leader, a certain amount of places are allocated for mature students and the course leaders are often glad to have mature students on the course because they almost always do very well.

Several people have been accepted on courses this way

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭areyawell

Never too late, u could still apply now, just have a closing date so they dont have to have meetings all over the summer, they expect late entrants

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Paige Turner

Hi Darragh,

Don't know if you managed to sort a college place yet - but may also be of interest to others. WIT is taking part in the Free College Places for unemployed people. They are offering 90 places.

http://www.waterford-today.ie/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=6586

http://www.munster-express.ie/local-news/free-college-places-for-unemployed/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15 doughnut

Its never too late, just speak to the course leader.

Advertisement