Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Want Full Licence By September

• 07-07-2009 2:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭

Don't want to be one of those 6000.

I've had my provo for a year and a half now. I havent really been getting enough driving experience in that time. At the moment I'm only ok. I'm pretty comfortable with drving around town etc but its the tight stuff like parking etc I would need work on.

Firstly I have no idea how long you have to wait for your test after you apply, is it a long waiting period, I hear its not as bad as it used to be.

Anyway lets say I can get my test for 2 months time etc, my plan is this and I want to know if people think this is do-able. I can arrange to get like 30 mins to an hour driving everyday with family member for next 2 months, thats decent I think, and maybe 2 weeks before test get lessons to iron out the kinks and to find out what to prepare for.

Is this possible in this time to get ready for the test do ya think or would i need more time. I know its all circumstancial but all I can tell ya is at this moment in time is that I'm ok, I'm definitely not one of these people who can't drive, ya know the type that were born to be driven, I'm not that but I certainly wouldnt pass the test as the moment thats for definite.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 495 ✭✭brian076

I think your plan is generally ok, however the one thing I wouldn't do is leave it until 2 weeks before your test to take lessons. While you may be driving fine at the moment, it's quite possible that you're making a number of mistakes or have acquired bad habits which family members mightn't notice.

If I was you, I'd take a lesson within the next couple of weeks (make sure it's with an ADI), and see exactly where you're at. It will also give you the opportunity to practice the reverse and turnabout manoeuvres to make sure that you're doing them right. I'd then take further lessons every 2 to 3 weeks depending how you're doing, and a few more closer to the test date.

If you have problems with you're driving, you may not be able to get them sorted within 2 weeks of your test.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Sunjammer

Good advice from both above! The waiting time in Cork (Wilton) is 17.5 weeks when on the RSA site the average waiting time listed is 8 weeks :rolleyes: So apply now you will have plenty of time ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 757 ✭✭✭DriveSkill

Totally agree with the previous comments - do not leave the lessons until the last 2 weeks as if you do have any bad habits (which you are not aware of) you do not want to be practicing those for the next 8 weeks.

I think you should do at least 1 or 2 lessons as soon as possible, get the instructor to cover all aspects of the driving test - turning left, turning right, roundabouts, turnabout, hill start, reverse, road position etc and ensure you understand what is required and the correct procedure for each task. You can then practice on your own with a few lessons in between to ensure you are still on track and then, once you get the test date, organise a final 1 or 2 (or as many as you can afford!) lessons.

One book which I think is pretty good and may help if the number of lessons is limited is called "Get it! - The Irish Driving Test", I think its by a guy called Brian O'Leary. It doesnt teach you how to drive as such but explains the marking sheet used for the test and the correct procedure you should follow for each maneouvre - for example, what observations are required during the reverse. The book is about €10 I think and only about 50 pages so is easily read :D [Note: Just to be clear, I'm not Brian O'Leary and I have no connection with the book :)]

Good luck with the test!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

It's easy for you to be ready by that time. Just do one or two lessons now, they will just show you routes for the test and tell you what you are doing wrong. Practice and then get a few before the test. There is nothing difficult on the test, only thing is nerves. I've been driving for a shorter time than you and plan to have it done by september too, so good luck to us! Was out for three hours this morning, am wrecked!

• Advertisement
Advertisement