Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new rescue pup

Options
  • 07-07-2009 8:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 43

hi everyone
    got a 5 month golden retriever yesterday from a pound via homeward bound. she is the cutuest little thing ever absolutely gorgeous we have called her Dixie. at the moment we are dogsitting a 3 yr old golden retriever for a friend who is on holiday.
    Dixie is an absolute nightmare on the lead and barks and growls when walkin by dark skinned people (racist dog) ?????
    i am kind of delaying with the training as i dont want to be punishing her too early before she settles into her new home might loose her trust before i gain it is this a good idea ????
    any advice anyone can give will be greatly recieved and appreciated
    cheers
    paul

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Hi, have you found a treat Dixie likes yet?
    We once got a large pup(boxer cross with something big) at 3 months, had a nightmare walking him. I was a teen but my great-grandad was very experienced with dogs and told me to put treats in my pocket and one in my hand nearest the dog, hold lead with other hand and start walking holding the treat for the dog to see/smell and give one every few steps. This should keep attention on you and keep dog near heal. Don't go far to start with, 10 or 20 yards and gradually give treats further apart. You can do this 7 or 8 times a day only takes 5 mins. It worked with him and I usually do this with new pups. Gradually give more praise less treats and it helps if you tire them out with a play first so they're not mad to get out.
    Hope this helps, we also went to training about 2 weeks after we got him, by then he was walking at heal quite well(still had his moments!)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

paulbhoy wrote: »
    got a 5 month golden retriever yesterday ....i am kind of delaying with the training ...might loose her trust before i gain it ....

The following may sound a bit cold hearted, but it works:

When you plant a dog into a new environement and with new people, this is hugely upsetting for the dog, because everything (and all the rules) it ever learned is now in question.

Most dogs in this situation go into "willing to please"-overdrive. They want to figure out as quickly as possible what is and isn't the done thing in this new environement, where their place is in all of it.

You've got to utilise this. No special treatment, no concessions ...lay down the rules. They will never again be picked up as quickly as now.

But ...be fair! By all means be firm and uncompromising, but don't shout, scream or "punish". Just give clear, quiet directions of what is and isn't acceptable around your place. If the dog gets the impression that you know what you're talking about, that you are fair and just, that you won't over-react but that you also keep a watchful eye for any disgressions ...then you've won.

The dog will be more likely to trust you than if you shower it with forgiving kindness.
    It needs a leader, it needs rules to be happy and trusting. Give it both.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Inexile

is she only bad on the lead when walking past dark skinned people or is she bad on the lead anyway and then growls at dark skinned people?

If she is bad on the lead generally have a look at headcollars. there are a few types available - halti, dogmatic, canny collar. All work on the same principal that a band goes across the dogs nose and the lead is attached to it. Therefore you are walking and controlling the dog from its nose rather then its neck as with a standard collar. I have a canny collar and I find it great - no more pulling arms out of the socket. Others swear by the dogmatic and halti. I found the halti too flimsy and the dog could get it off too easily. You can get Haltis from petstores here and I got the canny collar over the net. It cost about €20 and its well worth it.

re the dark skinned people thing.
    Dogs read each others and peoples body language. I heard that some dogs do not like black dogs as they cant read their features as well as paler coloured dogs. When a dog cant read another dog it may act defensively - barking etc. Perhaps this is what your dog is doing with people - when you are in the situation again distract the dog and when it pays attention to you praise it and give it a treat.

i am kind of delaying with the training as i dont want to be punishing her too early before she settles into her new home
    Im sure that you didnt mean punishment - all training has to be encouragement and reward based otherwise it will not work. I woulnt delay the training too long, the dog is old enough - work on the basics - sit and down etc. Basic training may also help the dog settle in quicker as it will build up your bond. Also think about training classes or a one to one session with a trainer.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 paulbhoy

she is just bad on the lead pulling and crossing in front its as if she is trying to trip you up with the lead !!!!!!
    when we were walking last night there would be lots of walkers on the route but if the person was white there was no problem the first was an indian type person (i dont mean to be racist with any of my descriptions of people) Dixie went crazy then a couple of hundred yards later an irish couple no problem little later 2 black ladies Dixie goes ballistic then when just home a black teenager at the bus stop she goes bananas again!!!!
    See the big problem is the people who live next door are a black mother
    with 2 young children about 11 and 5 Dixie hasnt seen them yet but what if when she does she goes berserk it frighten then young child........ just a bit worried about it
    what kind of rules should i be setting for her????
    be as basic as possible please as she is my first dog
    what are the websites to help ???
    all help is welcome

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

you've got to address three separate issues

1) general rules and training around the house
    - this is where you sleep, this is where you eat
    - this is where you can go, this is where you're not allowed
    - this behaviour is ok, this isn't
    just work on that and be consistent

2) lead training
    This isn't accomplished in one day or even one week. Lots of info here and elsewhere on how to do it, after that it just takes time and practice

3) fear of people with dark skin
    After a few days when you and your dog have established a general understanding and trust in each other it would probably be a good idea to have a little introductory meeting with your neighbours. Talk to them first, explain to them what the story is and then invite them over for a friendly chat in your garden so that they can meet the dog (and it can meet them) in a controlled and relaxed environement and get to know each other.
    Easy does it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 paulbhoy

last night was just her first night she is sleeping in the downstairs bathroom gonna buy her a bed but fot the moment she is sleeping on a piece of carpet and a fluffly throw
    at bedtime last nite she was crying and a little barking so went back down to her gave her a chewing toy and a bowl of water bit of a rub and reasurring and she was grand not a whisper all night till about 6 this morning when she started barking the second i opened the door she ran past me and towards the back door i opened it for her and she went out side and had a poo............. so fingers crossed i dont think that will be a problem:)

Advertisement