Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DiRT 2 to be enhanced with DirectX 11

Options
  • 07-07-2009 8:51am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭

Nice to see some devs thinking about us pc gamers for a change :D
    Codemasters has decided to delay Colin McRae DiRT 2 for PC in order to take advantage of DirectX 11 technologies.

DiRT 2's PC release is to take advantage of DirectX 11's multi-threading, hardware tessellation and Shader Model 5.0 - technology that's to reach home computers by the end of October. This means that the game will now be scheduled for release this December, in order to take advantage of the new technology.

"While the console editions of Colin McRae: DiRT 2 will retain their September ship date, we believe that the DirectX 11 feature set is too compelling to ignore, especially considering how much more it can add to the visual experience for PC gamers," said Bryan Marshall, chief technical officer of Codemasters.

"As a leader in digital racing entertainment, we are staying ahead of the pack by immediately taking advantage of key new technologies such as hardware tessellation, multi-threading and Shader Model 5.0 to deliver the most realistic, immersive and exhilarating racing experiences in the business. The fusion of DirectX 11 with Codemasters’ EGO Engine will raise the technical bar considerably in the racing genre."

Codemasters hopes to improve the appearance of water and other surfaces, crowd animation, and enhance depth of field, ambient occlusion and shadows with AMD's DirectX 11 tech.

Article

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

its good news and bad news

good news to see the optimization for dx11

bad news that we have to wait a few months to get it. Also, who will have dx11 enabled cards when it comes out? Exactly.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

bad news that we have to wait a few months to get it. Also, who will have dx11 enabled cards when it comes out? Exactly.

Not many thats for sure.

Cant wait till the Nvidia 3XX generation cards come out myself though.:)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

neither can i, but i dread the prices for them :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

Damn more money to spend :( Windows 7 is out at the same time as well, better start saving now............

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

neither can i, but i dread the prices for them :(

Yeah, I know.:(

You would probably be better off waiting until after Christmas at least to buy a card, prices will fall and new models will be coming out then.

And of course, there wont be too many DX11 games until well after Christmas.

• Advertisement

Yeah, I know.:(

You would probably be better off waiting until after Christmas at least to buy a card, prices will fall and new models will be coming out then.

And of course, there wont be too many DX11 games until well after Christmas.

I suppose my thread I posted a few hours ago suits this

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055614000

I dont know what to expect from dx11 though because dx10 was such a disappointment

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

hmm... I'd like to see more than 2 titles supporting DX11 before I throw my 4870x2 in the bin.

I made the mistake of jumping onto the DX10 then DX10.1 band wagon early and now the whole thing seems to of run out of steam. Saying a game supports DX10 and making it actually look like it does are 2 different things. I also haven't been impressed with the graphics of a game since Crysis, and seeing some still renders of what DX11 is capable of means nothing to me.

Advertisement