Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Dole

Options
  • 07-07-2009 9:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭

Does anyone else think that people who are on the dole for a certain period of time should have to perform community service in order to qualify?

Take for example people who've been on it for months without much effort towards getting a job should be made to do some hours of community service every week (ie street cleaning, road works, building cleaners etc etc, pending qualifications obviously) so that at least the government getting something done for the money they're giving them.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭suimhneas

where i would have agreed with you say a year ago, people who were long term unemployed had no excuses there was plenty of work around anyone that was unemployed was unemployed by choice. But not now there are no jobs out there not one. Where do you go looking for work? its sould destroying enough having to q up outside the social welfare office. Mortifying if im honest, there is no need to degrade people further by making them do the ****tiest work you can think of which is what yhour on about i think. I think bank official should be the ones out cutting the grass verges, digging drains, and sewer cleaners, since they have obviously got away scott free for playing fast and loose with other peoples money.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

i do agree, however the people who are playing the system, are still playing the system and i think that maybe if a system were introduced whereby if you've been claimin the dole for a certain period of time you should be made work to continue claiming with certain exclusions for being made redundant?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

There is already an active thread a few down on the dole.

I think any service should be optional for people with sufficient contributions.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭fasterkitten

suimhneas wrote: »
    where i would have agreed with you say a year ago, people who were long term unemployed had no excuses there was plenty of work around anyone that was unemployed was unemployed by choice. But not now there are no jobs out there not one. Where do you go looking for work? its sould destroying enough having to q up outside the social welfare office. Mortifying if im honest, there is no need to degrade people further by making them do the ****tiest work you can think of which is what yhour on about i think. I think bank official should be the ones out cutting the grass verges, digging drains, and sewer cleaners, since they have obviously got away scott free for playing fast and loose with other peoples money.

Bank officials are entry - mid level bank staff on average salaries. They aren't the ones who ''played fast and loose with other people's money''.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭nc13

I am on the dole not by choice but because I lost my job because my wife is ill and cant take care of our 3 young kids. She has tried to get disability and I have tried to get carers allowance but we were refused. I would love nothing better than to go out and find a job but because I have to look after my kids I cant. Its no fun filling in forms or telling pepole you are unemployed. I feel like dirt.

• Advertisement

Shouldn't your in the same boat as about 20% of the country. Ignore the people just claiming, there are many more unemployed.

I don't have a job but have not signed up for jobseekers benefit or whatever you want to call it as I have enough savings to hopefully get me by until I find a job.

I don't like the idea of signing on either but I guess I might have to in the end if I don't find anything. I don't think people should feel bad about signing on though even though I do. I don't hold it against anyone else and neither does anyone else I know.

Its a purely psycological thing pushed by the few jackasses that like to make people feel bad for not being able to find work or making massive assumptions about other peoples lives when they know nothing about them. Those are the type of friends you don't need TBH.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭nc13

I had no choice but to sign on as I had no savings to fall back on. It's still hard to admit I'm on the dole. I was a hard worker when I had a job, and I will work as hard, if I ever get back to work. But that depends on my wife getting well again, PLEASE GOD!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Spudmonkey

nc13 wrote: »
    I had no choice but to sign on as I had no savings to fall back on. It's still hard to admit I'm on the dole. I was a hard worker when I had a job, and I will work as hard, if I ever get back to work. But that depends on my wife getting well again, PLEASE GOD!

My heart goes out to people in your situation. Best of luck in your endeavours!

I honestly wouldn't expect anyone with 3 kids to have much savings. How can you? Education and essentials alone are most of a families wage with 3 kids even if the other partner is working.

One parent alone will of course struggle. Hope things work out. When my position was made redundant I didn't feel so bad because I'm single with no debts. I felt like I was saving someone else in the company with more responsibities from the chop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭daveyboy_1ie

nc13 wrote: »

Please God the two things happen mate, first and foremost your wifes health improving of course. As if your situation is not stressful losing your job, but a job is only a job when your loved one is not well.

I don't think for one moment that this thread was aimed at the likes of you and your situation (I hope not), you worked hard when you earnt a living and contributed to the Social system, so you are perfectly entitled to claim back what you can until you land on your feet, and don't EVER feel bad about it, thats what it is there for. Hopefully things improve next year and the country will get up off of its a**.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭steo123

well put davey boy. the country is in an awful state.
    its so depressing:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds

How could anyone on the dole with a wife who is ill and three children feel bad? You've worked hard. You deserve every penny. Please make sure you apply for the back to school grant this year, you can do so by text and it'll really help with uniforms and books. Best of luck and I really hope things look up soon.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement