Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

... and there wasn't even a match on

• 07-07-2009 10:22am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭

Cristiano-Ronaldo-001.jpg
    Cristiano-Ronaldo-kisses--004.jpg
    80,000 people turn up to see this

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,462 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

Yeah cool, a C. Ronaldo thread that will no doubt end up in a C Ronaldo bashing thread. The good thing is now I can join in with all the bashing. :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,804 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Football is an entertainment business lads. In fairness he is the biggest entertainer out there at the moment and the madrid fans are passionate about their entertainment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,731 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Ah well, simple maths can sum this up.

80,000,000 / 80,000 = 1000 pounds for every single one of them fans.

The young lad interviewed was asked who his favourite player was and he said Kaka !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

If that's not love for your club, then I don't know what is !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

I am no "CR9" fan, but I enjoyed him last night. He looked at ease with the situation and seemed genuinely delighted with the adulation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

Fans legged it on and tried to get to him (in a good way) but just got clothes lined by coppers. He smiled at them, gave a thumbs up and walked off. Don't think he was too bothered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

gimmick wrote: »
    I am no "CR9" fan, but I enjoyed him last night. He looked at ease with the situation and seemed genuinely delighted with the adulation.

That's because he has a huge ego.

I hope he fails at Real Madrid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

The badge kissing is pretty over the top to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

It's easier to like him in white

• Closed Accounts Posts: 869 ✭✭✭The Hustler

Xavi6 wrote: »

Yup, he'd look much better in a Leeds shirt :D

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭internelligent

Totally agree. Easier, but by no means easy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Just goes to show that as astronomical as the transfer fee was, it will be recouped before too long, even if you only count merchandise directly linked to Ronaldo.

No doubt he will be a success, and i wish him well, i enjoyed watching him develop in the premiership.

Fair play to the Real fans, great turn out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

keano_afc wrote: »
    The badge kissing is pretty over the top to be honest.

In fairness to him (!) its been clear for years that RM is the club he has always wanted to play for, so the badge-kissing is more acceptable than if say he had suddenly signed for Chelsea or Inter etc and started badge-kissing there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,731 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

It's up to Ronaldo to endear himself to his new club and fans, if he has to kiss Perez on the buttocks then so be it.

It is what it is, show business!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭SectionF

Boggles wrote: »
    It is what it is, show business!!
    That's the tragedy.
    This is more about celebrity culture and Hello! than it is about football. Might as well be a U2 gig or Michael Jackson's funeral.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭purple_hatstand

SectionF wrote: »
    Might as well be a U2 gig or a Michael Jackson's funeral.

U2 started their tour in Camp Nou.

Wasn't there some tribute/memorial ceremony/service for MJ in a sports stadium?

Can't wait for the new season to start...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

quarryman wrote: »

Those Manu fans get everywhere tbh :D.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭legs11

Cristiano-Ronaldo-001.jpg
    Cristiano-Ronaldo-kisses--004.jpg
    80,000 people turn up to see this

sick, sick sick

what a petulant boy he is.

Maradona was an absolute masterful player, the greatest in the modern era without question, now we have to put up with this CR10 tripe.

sad day for world football

*oops, CR 09, bows in front of his royal highness

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Thats nothing,wait ontill you see when Glen Johnson is welcomed to anfield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,804 ✭✭✭✭kippy

That's the tragedy.
    This is more about celebrity culture and Hello! than it is about football. Might as well be a U2 gig or Michael Jackson's funeral.

You do realise that football has been about that for the past 10-15 years or so and its why these guys can get paid so well/generate such massive transfer fees.

legs11 wrote: »
    sick, sick sick

what a petulant boy he is.

Maradona was an absolute masterful player, the greatest in the modern era without question, now we have to put up with this CR10 tripe.

sad day for world football

:rolleyes: CR9 dude.

Personally I think Maradonas drug use was a bit sadder.

U2 started their tour in Camp Nou.

Wasn't there some tribute/memorial ceremony/service for MJ in a sports stadium?

Can't wait for the new season to start...

MJs do was at the lakers arena the staples centre, but nothing wrong with that.

CR10 on the other hand......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

It's downhill from here on for CR9 I'm afraid.

You don't leave old trafford and live to tell great tales.

Unless your Denis Law

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

He's good, but he's no Antonio Valencia.

ntlbell wrote: »

Unless your Denis Law

Diego Forlan....?;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Unless your Denis Law

Multi-squillionaire Christiano Ronaldo, in Madrid yesterday, is informed of ntbell's censure:

02-ronaldo-crying.JPG

• Advertisement

Dub13 wrote: »
    Diego Forlan....?;)

What has he won since he left?

2 European Golden Boots.

LOL, I know what you are getting at but Pique has an interesting story from last year. Think he won a thing or two.

Dub13 wrote: »
    2 European Golden Boots.

Sure ye'd be reluctant to spout that to your grand kids.

no teams he's played for after united won SFA.

LOL, I know what you are getting at but Pique has an interesting story from last year. Think he won a thing or two.

stop wrecking me buzz :(

stop wrecking me buzz :(

no I get great joy out of wrecking your buzz.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Van Nistelrooy hasn't done too bad either - just the two La Liga's to console himself with. So far.

kippy wrote: »
    You do realise that football has been about that for the past 10-15 years or so and its why these guys can get paid so well/generate such massive transfer fees.
    Quite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Does anyone know whether it was free in last night or no? if so how much Madrid fans would have paid to get in. Have the started to recoup the transfer fee?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Not that shade of white.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

They said on SSN yesterday that it was free.

• Advertisement

ecoli wrote: »
    Does anyone know whether it was free in last night or no? if so how much Madrid fans would have paid to get in. Have the started to recoup the transfer fee?

These things are normally free but with Madrid you never know.

:rolleyes: CR9 dude.

Personally I think Maradonas drug use was a bit sadder.

people who link Maradona exclusively with drug use are a lot more sad IMO.

You do know he almost single handed took a crap Argentina side to the wc final in 1990 as well as landed napoli a league title almost under his sole guidance :rolleyes:

You should youtube some videos of his and wonder did the drugs enable him to do that move...;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

I'd imagine the Shamrock Rovers players are getting a bit excited!! They're gonna be seen several literally tens of millions of people I reckon. Crazy stuff!

Was a bit surreal last night on SSN when they were finished showing the footage at the stadium. They then cut to.....Madrids first fixture with Kaka and Ronaldo is in Tallaght!!!

You do know he almost single handed took a crap Argentina side to the wc final in 1990 as well as landed napoli a league title almost under his sole guidance :rolleyes:

You should youtube some videos of his and wonder did the drugs enable him to do that move...;)

Really don't know what you are getting at. You are giving out about this CR9 crap which I took as a dig regarding players branding themselves and media whoring. Personal I think drug abuse is a much sadder thing than a player milking as much money as possible from a short career.

If you are talking about the money that has been paid for Ronaldo and the worship that he has been shown. If Maradona was playing in this age he would be subject to the same stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

Legs I think you a being a bit of a hypocrite there, sure did'nt Ronaldo almost single handedly win the premierleauge the year before last, and the CL
    You cant condone drug abuse by saying, sure wasn't he a great lad!!!!!!!!!

killwill wrote: »
    Legs I think you a being a bit of a hypocrite there, sure did'nt Ronaldo almost single handedly win the premierleauge the year before last, and the CL
    You cant condone drug abuse by saying, sure wasn't he a great lad!!!!!!!!!

Maradona has done a lot more in his career than CR9, for anyone to even suggest that CR9 is at the level of Maradona needs their head examined.

And CR9 did not single handed win a league for united, they happen to have probably the strongest squad in Europe as well as the best manager in the world it could be argued, so that argument is a non runner.

Really don't know what you are getting at. You are giving out about this CR9 crap which I took as a dig regarding players branding themselves and media whoring. Personal I think drug abuse is a much sadder thing than a player milking as much money as possible from a short career.

If you are talking about the money that has been paid for Ronaldo and the worship that he has been shown. If Maradona was playing in this age he would be subject to the same stuff.

I don't condone drugs :rolleyes: Maradona was the mega star back in his day, he earned more than anyone else back in the 80s. One think Maradona was not and thats a lick arse..!

To be honest, I don't actively dislike Ronaldo (though I do have to admit a prejudice against Real). He's a brilliantly talented footballer and to an extent he has a right to be arrogant (if that's not a contradiction in terms). It goes with the territory. I just don't know him. Nor do I know any of those who are being compared with him. Of course, I like him a bit more now that he's left ManU, but that's another story.

Lots of people are suckered into these personality wars, along with the insincere crest-kissing and all the rest of it. Who cares if Ronaldo is nicer/better/ than Maradona? I don't want either of them to be my friend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭mink_man

he doesnt have the tight jersey to show off his "big" muscles

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

He looks genuinely happy. I wish him well. Won't really ever understand how people can beruge him this move, it would be like any of us getting to play for United/Liverpool/Arsenal/Chelsea/Leeds/Villa etc.

Childhood dreams that come true are always happy occassions.

• Advertisement
Advertisement