Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Riding lessons in Maynooth area

Options
  • 07-07-2009 10:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭

Hello,
    This is my first time posting on the Equestrian forum :D

Just wondering if anyone can recommend a riding school in the Maynooth area for a complete beginner (adult)? I have been on a few trail rides and keep saying I'd love to learn so am finally looking into it. Would be good to get some recommendations from people in the know.

I've found the following places that offer lessons:
    Maynooth Equestrian Centre
    Leinster Stud
    Carton Equestrian Centre.

Anyone know anything about any of these places and whether they are any good?

Thanks!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Pandora 007

Yes Maynooth very good , not sure of the stud one, they otherone good for bignners, hope this helps.:)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

I had an adult beginner lesson in Maynooth Equestran ( i think - it may have been clonfert - they're both beside each other and i can't figure out which is which )

They were lovely, really really lovely and didn't make me feel like a tool!, trying to go back again tomorrow night but can't find a number for the Clonfert place...

Any help?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Pandora 007

www.maynoothequestriancentre.ie . You should find what you are looking for there. Well done keep at it, the fun is great and the pain in legs passes. P:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭Jen Pigs Fly

I kept my horse (and bought her) at carton equestrian centre.

I would not reccommend going there <snip>

I am now at rosecottage equestrian centre, just past donadea forest, it's only a small yard, but they are very nice, and have a wide range of horses for all types, sizes and experiances of rider. We also do trecks rangin from half and hour to 4 hours.

The horses used if you are a good enough rider are brilliant as well. If you want details about this place let me know! I am in maynooth, and it only takes about 10 minutes to go up there.

Oh and in this place we only ever take a max of 3/4 people, so you get a torough, one-on-one lesson, places like maynooth eq. or carton have like 13/14 in a lesson and you get almost no one-to-one attention.

So just let me know! I can even get you the number of the yard if you would like.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Tanzanite

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭SmellySockies

I wouldn recommend maynooth eq the lessons tend to be very big I was in a lesson there once with 20 people and you manage to learn nothing! I tried private lessons there but they are too expensive and not great either! The horses there arent the best either I mean they are lovely and all but as a beginner I wouldn recommend it for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 404 ✭✭katiemaloe

I used to ride in Maynooth and to be honest, after lots of problems, I would never go there again. So many people have gone through that place... both customers and staff. <snip>

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭househunter

Thanks for the feedback. I only saw this feedback now!
    Went for my first lesson at Maynooth last night. There were 8 of us I think. I thought it was really good but I guess I've nothing to compare it to.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭househunter

Had my 2nd lesson last week and it wasn't as good as the previous one at all. The instructor was different and not as good with beginners and we started 25 minutes late. Had my first fall too but that was just funny really :D

Anyway, we are looking at other options now. Thinking of the one across the way, Clonfert. Anyone have any experience of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭sisco

Blackberry Stables

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 mummy2b

I am riding at Clonfert Maynooth Equestrian Centre for a couple of weeks. I agree the name is confusing!! Having not riden for a couple of years I was very nervous. First 2 lessons went well and then took a 1/2 hour private lesson which wasnt very expensive. After another 3 lessons I went on a ride out last Sunday. Despite the weather - what a thrill to ride through the fields last Sunday morning to clear the head. Overall I would recommend. And love the cup of tea that they give to all lessons afterwards!!! <snip>. Hope this helps you. Best of luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭granturismo

I would also recommend Blackberry Stables, Laragh, which is in the same general area as Clonfert, contact details are on AIRE's site

http://www.aire.ie/riding_centres/kildare

I would also recommend Blackberry Stables, Laragh, which is in the same general area as Clonfert, contact details are on AIRE's site

http://www.aire.ie/riding_centres/kildare

I wouldn't recommend there, at all. I went up looking for livery, the arena was flooded, you had to go through the arena to get to the yard, the yard had like 2 horses and like 6 stables, the stables had no beds and no doors or anything.

You may like it, but not really my cup of tea.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭granturismo

I wouldn't recommend there, at all. I went up looking for livery, the arena was flooded, you had to go through the arena to get to the yard, the yard had like 2 horses and like 6 stables, the stables had no beds and no doors or anything.
    You may like it, but not really my cup of tea.

Mods, I dont want to derail this thread but perhaps I could justify to the OP why they might consider Blackberry.

Weekly, I ride school horses here and in one other much plusher centre, in terms of structural facilities Blackberry is at polar opposite but horse welfare isnt compromised.

Blackberry has 12 stables, 8 with half doors and 4 with heavy chain link used for horses and ponies that are being to be used for lessons. Water in each and feed as appropriate, there has been bedding any time I've taken a horse from a stable. I have ridden 3 school horses here, 2 school ponies and 1 livery horse. There are other school ponies and horses available.

There is pedestrian access to the yard and I have never had a lesson interrupted by horses being led into the yard through the arena. One corner, off the track, has surface water after heavy rain which is useful for riding a 10ish m circle.

I like the style of instruction. AIRE continue to approve it. It's location suits me once a week. I'm not looking for livery just good quality instruction and suitable horse/s to help me regain my confidence and seat.

I had a few private lessons with Maynooth EC, years ago before they moved, I didnt go back because the instructor left and her replacement wasnt as good.

I havent tried Clonfert and would like to try Rathleek Treking Centre off the Dunboyne Road.

OP, you mention that 'we are looking at other options' - perhaps you might be able to book a private group lesson to try out one or more of the alternatives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 littleluvvie

I went out on a trail ride at CMEC today and thoroughly enjoyed it.

The facility is amazing, the people welcoming and the surroundings beautiful. The trek lasted an hour, through some of the 80 acres of lush pasture. I'm comfortable at a slowish canter and they did everything to accommodate me. At no point did I feel like a spare wheel! Their prices are the best in the business without compromising on professionalism.

Anyone in the Maynooth, Kilcock, Lucan or Leixlip area should make a beeline for the CMEC....quick!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 cassa4ever

Have taken your advice and booked my first ever horse riding lesson for tomorrow at Clonfert Maynoth Equestrian Centre.. Nervous but after looking up the web site am excited aswell..... :-)

Good luck tomorrow. If the weather holds you'll love it. Tally ho!!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Ya i'll give a big +1 to Clonfert too. Been going for about 2 months now. Love it. Really look forward to a Wednesday evening now.

Lessons are great, numbers are always small in them 5 or 6 people. Very good price wise - 5 lessons for 80euro. And most importantly i've felt i've learned something or imprived something after each one.

Staff are incredibly friendly too.

lordgoat wrote: »
    Ya i'll give a big +1 to Clonfert too. Been going for about 2 months now. Love it. Really look forward to a Wednesday evening now.

Lessons are great, numbers are always small in them 5 or 6 people. Very good price wise - 5 lessons for 80euro. And most importantly i've felt i've learned something or imprived something after each one.

Staff are incredibly friendly too.

Would you be able to give me some info on lessons here? I want to get some lessons from another place just to have a bit of variety, and so far I've heard great stuff from this place. So some info would be nice!

I would more than likely be brining my own horse with me, do you know if they allow that? And if so how much would it be would you know?

thanks in advance! Please send the info in a message!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Jake2009

My children have been riding at Maynooth Equestrian Centre since they opened in 2003, they moved accross the road last year, i dont think it was maynooth equestrian you were at when there were 20 in a lesson, this has never been the case, for children or adults they never have anymore than 12, and they recently told me they are only taking 10 in a lesson now . Seriously guys try this place out, they are really professional ! For the kids great pony camps - my kids would die if they missed one ! they are really well run and packed full of games, learning, crafts, and the kids get the full experience of keeping a horse. :)

• Advertisement

Jenny,

I would imagine Clonfert MEC would be happy to accept you and your horse for lessons.

I've had quite a few private lessons with them and they've been happy to accommodate me in any way they could.

The front yard, car park area would be more then big enough to take your 4x4 and horse box. <snip>

The owner <snip> would be the man to speak to about your request.

Worth the trip down the country roads.

LL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Jake2009

Hi, i would highly recommend Maynooth Equestrian Centre, they are around since 2003, the other place accross the road clonfert, is only open a few months, MEC has just moved accross the road so it is the well established one. they have fantastic facilites, and we have the best fun at the adult lessons, great atmosphere, <snip> They are very professionally run, FAS training centre, BHS exam centre, AIRE approved, i looked into this because i wanted myself and my kids to be in a centre that is well established, professional and i figure if the above boards and businesses want to work with them thats proof enough for me. <snip>. anyway, i love it up there and so do my kids, seriously check it out. best of luck and hope it goes well :)

Hello,
    This is my first time posting on the Equestrian forum :D

Just wondering if anyone can recommend a riding school in the Maynooth area for a complete beginner (adult)? I have been on a few trail rides and keep saying I'd love to learn so am finally looking into it. Would be good to get some recommendations from people in the know.

I've found the following places that offer lessons:
    Maynooth Equestrian Centre
    Leinster Stud
    Carton Equestrian Centre.

Anyone know anything about any of these places and whether they are any good?

Thanks!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

Please refrain from naming individual people in your posts. Thanks.

* My 1,000th post ..... :D *

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 patriotism

Jake2009 wrote: »
    Hi, i would highly recommend Maynooth Equestrian Centre, they are around since 2003, the other place accross the road clonfert, is only open a few months, MEC has just moved accross the road so it is the well established one. they have fantastic facilites, and we have the best fun at the adult lessons, great atmosphere, <snip> They are very professionally run, FAS training centre, BHS exam centre, AIRE approved, i looked into this because i wanted myself and my kids to be in a centre that is well established, professional and i figure if the above boards and businesses want to work with them thats proof enough for me. <snip>. anyway, i love it up there and so do my kids, seriously check it out. best of luck and hope it goes well :)

Have been to Maynooth Equestrian Centre in the past and found it fine however I have been using Clonfert centre since March. I'snt it great to see a business opening in these difficult times and obviously doing things the right way given the reviews it has been receiving. I can understand why you researched memberships prior to using a riding centre there are some dodgy places around however I know that Clonfert are also AIRE approved and instructors are BHS qualified. Its great for me living in Donadea to have so many options in my local area. I do like to give a new business a chance and am delighted that I did as since I have been there they have been great. I am a nurse and work shifts and they always manage to work around my times no matter what to get my weekly fix.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 MediaBride

A big thumbs up for Clonfert Maynooth EC from myself & our girls who just love it there. They have me broke going twice a week but it's just brillant for them on so many levels. Pony camps are both great craic and educational and they love to win a rosette at the end of the week at the bbq party (despite the rain!)

Had tried Maynooth Equestrian but tbh it's wasn't up to scratch. The poor horses were more like robots who were just literally going through the motions with or without a rider so the girls weren't actually learning anything :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 anto50

Hi I would heartily reccomend Blackberry riding school Maynooth. I only started riding lessons for the first time in august 09 at a much older age than most beginners, (this is to be my retirement hobby) and while very afraid of appearing a fool, I was soon taught, encouraged into being an enthusiastic participant. Yes the arena can get a bit wet after all it is outdoors but the horses and ponies are in great nick and much loved, you should see the diminutive rescue pony and how great he looks now compared to when he arrived at Blackberry. There are a wide range of mounts available according to ones ability and when the main instructor takes a break, the replacement, who is a regular has a great way with her too. One to one lessons are greatly beneficial there is a reduction for group lessons the ones i have attended are limited to 2-3 people at most, so you still get plenty of attention. You are certainly pushed cajoled and when necessary corrected very clearly but in a very constructive manner and one is not afraid of asking questions no matter how daft they may seem. This stable also encourages you to interact with your mount and mine does seem to recognise me now. It is very homey and has a great personal touch. Experienced horsey people who have come with me praised the quality of the animals and the instruction given.Give them a try

Mod edit: No mobile numbers in posts, please.

anto50 wrote: »
    Hi I would heartily reccomend Blackberry riding school Maynooth. I only started riding lessons for the first time in august 09 at a much older age than most beginners, (this is to be my retirement hobby) and while very afraid of appearing a fool, I was soon taught, encouraged into being an enthusiastic participant. Yes the arena can get a bit wet after all it is outdoors but the horses and ponies are in great nick and much loved, you should see the diminutive rescue pony and how great he looks now compared to when he arrived at Blackberry. There are a wide range of mounts available according to ones ability and when the main instructor takes a break, the replacement, who is a regular has a great way with her too. One to one lessons are greatly beneficial there is a reduction for group lessons the ones i have attended are limited to 2-3 people at most, so you still get plenty of attention. You are certainly pushed cajoled and when necessary corrected very clearly but in a very constructive manner and one is not afraid of asking questions no matter how daft they may seem. This stable also encourages you to interact with your mount and mine does seem to recognise me now. It is very homey and has a great personal touch. Experienced horsey people who have come with me praised the quality of the animals and the instruction given.Give them a try

Mod edit: No mobile numbers in posts, please.

Yes that all well and good, but you can find a place much more aesthetically pleasing elsewere.
    But if you like that place good for you, I would never in a million years keep my mare there, <snip>
    And flooded arens are such a pain, especially in ireland when it rains all the time.

Now Rosecottage that's a great place to go! Massive arena, it never floods, brand new american style barn, it's only a small establishment, and lesson are always kept small.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 loukealy

<snip>

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

Please do not drag up old threads. Thanks.

Thread closed.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement