Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

So I had my test yesterday...

• 07-07-2009 10:55am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭

Hi everyone!

So just to tell you a bit about my driving history first - I started driving around the end of February this year - I was a complete novice, hadn't a clue of how anything worked or the concept of what a clutch did or anything, a total greenhorn!

I've been learning to drive for about the past 4 months and in this time I've had 10 driving lessons (last one yesterday!) I haven't my own car so the only practice I got inbetween lessons would be when one of my parents would be free to come out with me for an hour or so - which to be honest wasn't as often as I would have liked, but what can ya do eh!

Well I applied for my Driving Test a few weeks back and lo and behold the date came much sooner than anticipated -and when I told my Driving Instructor the date I got he informed me that he was going to be on holidays all that week - cue a bit of panic stations and trying to cram in as much practice for the past week!!

For the past two weeks I had myself confined to thinking that I hadn't a hope in passing - not necessarily that I think I'm an attrocious driver, however I just don't have the experience and I felt that I hadn't been doing enough practice to say the least, so I was looking upon yesterdays test as a trial run of sorts just to get me used to the whole format of the actual test proceedure.

So all yesterday I was sick with nerves (stupid I know seeing as I was trying to tell myself that it was only going to be a practice test in my eyes anyhow!) I had a last minute lesson where I got squeezed in at 9am - met my instructor outside the testing centre at 8:45am and off we went!

To make matters worst it rained, and rained and rained all day - visibility was very poor and the roads were very slippy - in fact before the test I witnessed a minor accident whereby someone rammed into the back of someone else due to the slippy conditions - none of which helped my confidence levels!

So along comes the time for my test so I head into the testing office 20 mins early to be on the safeside - it's completely empty, just me and my thoughts (bag of nerves at this stage!) after what seems like an eternity my name gets called *Oh God, this is it, gulp*

My tester was *extremely* formal and a bit on the gruff/grumpy side, I tried to make a bit of small talk but he was having none of it so this didn't help much either...

Out to the car and it's bucketing down, I comment on the weather to him - he blanks me completely - things are not looking good...

And then... the actual test! The visibility was dire, it was bucketing down and I was brought on a route which I wasn't actually very familiar with - it was completely different to what my instructor and I had been focusing on, but oh well, these things happen...

The manoevuers all went well, felt confident and happy after the hill start, reverse around the corner and the turn about in the road, in fact for most of the drive the instructor had his clipboard resting on his chest face down and he wasn't marking anything at all, so that lifted my spirits a little.

The drive itself lasted much longer than I thought it would - numerous times as we neared the testing centre just as I was getting relaxed and thinking I was on the home run he would direct me off again to the nearest roundabout or the next set of traffic lights, it was on one of these runs around the testing centre that I thought I had clipped the curb going around a corner... Crap, that's it! I've gotten a pink mark for that, game over! I think I even let out a long, painful sigh after that!

We finally get back to the testing centre, I pull in to park and the tester says "Ok, lets go back in and I'll give you your results" he hops out immediately, doesn't even wait for me or make eye-contact, but I was expecting that, I had failed anyways.

Get into the office and I'm sitting at the desk imploring him to give it to me straight and I'll get on with the post mortem myself when I get home; "I'm pleased to tell you it's good news - you've passed" - What??? I think to myself?! No way! He's made a mistake? Are you sure? Check it again!

A quick glance reveals 3 blues.. a complete shock! :eek: A good one though! ;)

So 4 months and 10 lessons later I now have my certificate of competency and now all I need to do is get some passport sized photos taken where I don't look like some bleary eyed zombie risen from the dead in them!

It's such a relief now that I've passed - at times I felt like I was the only person in the country obeying the laws having to have a qualified licence holder with me in the car at all times - it's nice now knowing I'll be able to nip into town or the shops at a whim, or even just go off for the day whenever without having a heart attack if I come across a checkpoint!

The advice I got here has been invaluable and without it I'm not sure I would have passed...

Sincere thanks goes to; Donegalfella, Alanstrainor, Wishbone Ash, DriveSkill, BetterDrive, Brian076 etc etc.. you're all invaluable to everyone here! Thanks again!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

Hi everyone!

So just to tell you a bit about my driving history first - I started driving around the end of February this year - I was a complete novice, hadn't a clue of how anything worked or the concept of what a clutch did or anything, a total greenhorn!

I've been learning to drive for about the past 4 months and in this time I've had 10 driving lessons (last one yesterday!) I haven't my own car so the only practice I got inbetween lessons would be when one of my parents would be free to come out with me for an hour or so - which to be honest wasn't as often as I would have liked, but what can ya do eh!

Well I applied for my Driving Test a few weeks back and lo and behold the date came much sooner than anticipated -and when I told my Driving Instructor the date I got he informed me that he was going to be on holidays all that week - cue a bit of panic stations and trying to cram in as much practice for the past week!!

For the past two weeks I had myself confined to thinking that I hadn't a hope in passing - not necessarily that I think I'm an attrocious driver, however I just don't have the experience and I felt that I hadn't been doing enough practice to say the least, so I was looking upon yesterdays test as a trial run of sorts just to get me used to the whole format of the actual test proceedure.

So all yesterday I was sick with nerves (stupid I know seeing as I was trying to tell myself that it was only going to be a practice test in my eyes anyhow!) I had a last minute lesson where I got squeezed in at 9am - met my instructor outside the testing centre at 8:45am and off we went!

To make matters worst it rained, and rained and rained all day - visibility was very poor and the roads were very slippy - in fact before the test I witnessed a minor accident whereby someone rammed into the back of someone else due to the slippy conditions - none of which helped my confidence levels!

So along comes the time for my test so I head into the testing office 20 mins early to be on the safeside - it's completely empty, just me and my thoughts (bag of nerves at this stage!) after what seems like an eternity my name gets called *Oh God, this is it, gulp*

My tester was *extremely* formal and a bit on the gruff/grumpy side, I tried to make a bit of small talk but he was having none of it so this didn't help much either...

Out to the car and it's bucketing down, I comment on the weather to him - he blanks me completely - things are not looking good...

And then... the actual test! The visibility was dire, it was bucketing down and I was brought on a route which I wasn't actually very familiar with - it was completely different to what my instructor and I had been focusing on, but oh well, these things happen...

The manoevuers all went well, felt confident and happy after the hill start, reverse around the corner and the turn about in the road, in fact for most of the drive the instructor had his clipboard resting on his chest face down and he wasn't marking anything at all, so that lifted my spirits a little.

The drive itself lasted much longer than I thought it would - numerous times as we neared the testing centre just as I was getting relaxed and thinking I was on the home run he would direct me off again to the nearest roundabout or the next set of traffic lights, it was on one of these runs around the testing centre that I thought I had clipped the curb going around a corner... Crap, that's it! I've gotten a pink mark for that, game over! I think I even let out a long, painful sigh after that!

We finally get back to the testing centre, I pull in to park and the tester says "Ok, lets go back in and I'll give you your results" he hops out immediately, doesn't even wait for me or make eye-contact, but I was expecting that, I had failed anyways.

Get into the office and I'm sitting at the desk imploring him to give it to me straight and I'll get on with the post mortem myself when I get home; "I'm pleased to tell you it's good news - you've passed" - What??? I think to myself?! No way! He's made a mistake? Are you sure? Check it again!

A quick glance reveals 3 blues.. a complete shock! :eek: A good one though! ;)

So 4 months and 10 lessons later I now have my certificate of competency and now all I need to do is get some passport sized photos taken where I don't look like some bleary eyed zombie risen from the dead in them!

It's such a relief now that I've passed - at times I felt like I was the only person in the country obeying the laws having to have a qualified licence holder with me in the car at all times - it's nice now knowing I'll be able to nip into town or the shops at a whim, or even just go off for the day whenever without having a heart attack if I come across a checkpoint!

The advice I got here has been invaluable and without it I'm not sure I would have passed...

Sincere thanks goes to; Donegalfella, Alanstrainor, Wishbone Ash, DriveSkill, BetterDrive, Brian076 etc etc.. you're all invaluable to everyone here! Thanks again!
    passing your test first time round. good going. but be careful on the motorways. dog eat dog world out there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭shreksaurus

Congrats. Well done. Have my test later today. My 2nd test. Your post gives me some hope. Thanks

Congrats. Well done. Have my test later today. My 2nd test. Your post gives me some hope. Thanks
    few tips. brush up on your road signs. and dont panic if you make a mistake early on. just treat it like a routine drive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 495 ✭✭brian076

That's great news really delighted for you. Your account of meeting the tester is spot on & I'm sure could be echoed by thousands of other nervous candidates throughout the country. I just wish some of them would lighten up a little, a smile costs nothing.
    Well done again.

• Advertisement

brian076 wrote: »
    That's great news really delighted for you. Your account of meeting the tester is spot on & I'm sure could be echoed by thousands of other nervous candidates throughout the country. I just wish some of them would lighten up a little, a smile costs nothing.
    Well done again.
    driving testers are not your friends. they dont need to smile. Just there to make sure you dont end up doing damage on the road. they have a very responsible job!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 757 ✭✭✭DriveSkill

Congratulations, well done and safe driving for the future!

driving testers are not your friends. they dont need to smile. Just there to make sure you dont end up doing damage on the road. they have a very responsible job!

Just because they have a job to do, which in fact is quite easy,(having been both a tester and an instructor I can tell you the latter is much more demanding), it doesn't mean that they have to treat people like something they've found on the sole of their shoe.
    A simple greeting and smile as was practised by SGS testers, would help relax candidates a little and make things easier for both parties.

Just because they have a job to do, which in fact is quite easy,(having been both a tester and an instructor I can tell you the latter is much more demanding), it doesn't mean that they have to treat people like something they've found on the sole of their shoe.
    A simple greeting and smile as was practised by SGS testers, would help relax candidates a little and make things easier for both parties.
    agree in a way. some testers more aloof then others. But like i said i think testers have a very responsible job. its clear some people who get their tests take it as a licence to do what they want thereafter.

agree in a way. some testers more aloof then others. But like i said i think testers have a very responsible job. its clear some people who get their tests take it as a licence to do what they want thereafter.

Their job is very responsible, but it's not as hard say as working as a nurse or doctor in an A&E, and no matter how responsible your job is, it doesn't give you the right to treat people in a surly or aloof manner.

The problem is, that as public servants they are unlikely to ever lose their jobs so they can behave whatever way they want. And while a lot of testers are decent and pleasant with people, there are a sizable number who should not be dealing with the public.

• Advertisement

Their job is very responsible, but it's not as hard say as working as a nurse or doctor in an A&E, and no matter how responsible your job is, it doesn't give you the right to treat people in a surly or aloof manner.

The problem is, that as public servants they are unlikely to ever lose their jobs so they can behave whatever way they want. And while a lot of testers are decent and pleasant with people, there are a sizable number who should not be dealing with the public.
    could be they put up that front to keep you on your game.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Sunjammer

Congrats Pandamoanium! :)

Happy safe driving from here on ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

:D:D:D Excellent pat on the back for you :D:D:D

Advertisement