Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Green Beech hedge

Options
  • 07-07-2009 11:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 40

I have a green beach hedge along and side of my garden. It was planted in December 07 and I also filled up gaps in it in December 08. I was told to water it lots which I have been doing as you can see on the pictures have a irrigation systems to make it easier to water. I put this on every other night or so for a couples of hours. I was away for a week at the start of June and it got no water, but over the past few weeks sum leaves look dead:(

Can anybody tell me what I'm doing wrong please:o

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

They don't look too bad, a few dead leaves is no big deal. I'd be more concerned with the narrow strip, the grass seems very close. Also are you feeding the hedge?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 312 ✭✭Cuchulain

I'd be more concerned with the narrow strip, the grass seems very close. Also are you feeding the hedge?

Hi Sonnenblumen, Should the strip be wider? My beech hedge looks quite similar.
    I have put bark mulch down to keep out the weeds.

What sort of feed works best on a new beech hedge?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Cuchulain wrote: »
    Hi Sonnenblumen, Should the strip be wider? My beech hedge looks quite similar.
    I have put bark mulch down to keep out the weeds.

What sort of feed works best on a new beech hedge?

Established Grass areas can seriously jeopardise newly planted hedge, and even mature heding can suffer in competition and demand for moisture and nutrients. Ideally the grass edge should not be within 12"/300mm of the hedge line.

Feed Spring and Autumn, I'd use Fish Bone and Blood in Spring and perhaps a SLOW RELEASE pelleted feed in late Summer. New Hedge should be watered regularly to ensure good plant growth.

Area should be kept weed free (hoeing and bark will help) but plants should be checked regularly to ensure they are secure in ground as plant performance will be severely undermined/die due to root rocking.

SB

Advertisement