Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just ordered Eircom, how long?

Options
  • 07-07-2009 11:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Have just ordered (again) eircom broadband, will probably require a technician out to look at the line as I don't think it's currently connected (phone line is sort of hung up on a shed outside) :pac:

Says within 10 working days, does anyone know roughly how long before they ring/email me, or send someone out? Ordered on Sunday. I can't ring them right now as I'm in work but just thought I'd check it out here first!

Cheers.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

funkyflea wrote: »
    Hi,

Have just ordered (again) eircom broadband, will probably require a technician out to look at the line as I don't think it's currently connected (phone line is sort of hung up on a shed outside) :pac:

Says within 10 working days, does anyone know roughly how long before they ring/email me, or send someone out? Ordered on Sunday. I can't ring them right now as I'm in work but just thought I'd check it out here first!

Cheers.

In my experience of friends ordering it they are usually quite prompt in that they have always met the date that they gave when ordering - however in your case it might be a little different given that a visit and climb may be required:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

Thanks dub45. Am going to update this thread just in case anyone in future needs to ask the same question.

I got an email today from eircom (3 days later) thanking me for my order and stating:

"One of our eircom technicians will be in contact with you to arrange an appointment for the installation of your line. Due to recent demand we are experiencing lead-times of up to 4 weeks in connecting some phone lines, but we are working as fast as possible to connect all customers. "

I'm in Wexford area, I'll post again when the technician arrives just if anyone wants to know a realistic timescale.

Am updating the thread as I said I would -

Three days ago I received a letter from Eircom dated the 09/07/2009 asking me to confirm my direct debit details are correct.

Today I received another letter dated 09/07/2009 asking me to return a signed agreement within 5 working days or else they will assume that I have accepted the terms and conditions. I've only received this today so 5 working days are almost up.

Anyway, I'm in work now so received a missed call from eircom on 01 6714444, called back, put on hold for 5 mins, then spoke to a woman who transferred me , holding again 5 mins, got another woman. As they called me in work I didn't expect to have my customer account number to hand so the woman sighed and took my address, and put me on hold again.

5 minutes more pass and she comes back and says "right " and the phone goes dead. She has disconnected the call (accidently or not), how annoying. now I have to get back to work I can't call them.

This happened to me in 2006 when I had to call them twice they disconnected me, it almost seems like they don't want to talk to customers. But I couldn't possibly assume that.

In all, it's been 2 weeks since I ordered Eircom broadband.

Update, technician called today when I was in work, other half was at home so they basically left after 5 minutes and said "they were working on the line but it won't be connected today."

So I rang eircom from work, got disconnected once after speaking to a very rude woman, then I rang again and got another rude lady on the phone who wouldnt listen to me and just transferred me back into the main menu again. So I finally get another woman who is talking over me constantly, telling me I need to go out and buy a landline before I can order broadband. I said I'm paying line rental but don't want to buy a phone I just want broadband.. But she said I have to buy a phone, or borrow one.

I said no way I don't want to do that, just want to know whats going on with my order. She said the lines connected, but its hanging off my shed roof unconnected and the technician cannot be reached.

What the hell do I do now? This is turning out to be a nightmare.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭dcukhunter

I have been having much the same trouble. I rang them a few weeks ago and they gave me a new number for the house and told me to call back in two weeks if there was nothing. Rang back again they had no record of the new number or the address. So they asked for the old number on the house. I got the old number rang back again told the cost would be 55 a month for it all together, I just want broadband, but with them you have to get line rental as well. If you get a call bundle as well it would be 50 a month. Told them not to bother I would look around for someone else instead over a month wasted with them trying to get things sorted. Looking for someone else now going to try BT instead and see what they say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭Mike...

5 days max i think...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,434 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Here's what you do.

Ring eircom back up...ask for your case number and explain that you're complaining them to comreg.
    Ring comreg and make a official complaint..there's fcukall they do about it but eircom will then get off their asses and fix your line.
    We had similiar crap in that they didn't want to wire our house till the rest of the area was done..Seeing taht only 2 of the 9 houses were sold we were in for some wait.
    So after 2 months..no phone line or broadband..rang comreg and eircom..3 hours later eircom was ringing me back telling me engineer would be out in the morning and i'd have my broadband by friday evening. (This was a thurs).

Sc@recrow wrote: »
    Here's what you do.

Ring eircom back up...ask for your case number and explain that you're complaining them to comreg.
    Ring comreg and make a official complaint..there's fcukall they do about it but eircom will then get off their asses and fix your line.
    We had similiar crap in that they didn't want to wire our house till the rest of the area was done..Seeing taht only 2 of the 9 houses were sold we were in for some wait.
    So after 2 months..no phone line or broadband..rang comreg and eircom..3 hours later eircom was ringing me back telling me engineer would be out in the morning and i'd have my broadband by friday evening. (This was a thurs).

Have you read the thread at all? The op ordered bb and the new phone line on 5th July approx. He subsequently received an email from Eircom telling him that there was a lead time of up to 4 weeks with some lines and that a tech would be in contact with him.

Its now the 22nd July and a technician has been in contact and visited the premises.

Why would the op be complaining to Comreg? Eircom have done what they said they would do so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,434 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Because we were fobbed off the same way...a tech came out..looked at the house and drove off again.
    Unfortunately 6 weeks later we were still waiting for broadband and Eircom kept pushing out the date.

While I appreciate the lead time is up to 4 weeks, the engineer left off and didn't leave any information as to when he'd be back or whats happening, nor answer his phone. So that's why I rang customer care, who were absolutely no help at all.

I'm normally very patient as I understand these things take time but it's just the inconsistency and being left in the dark is really annoying.

They are due to bill me any day now and I don't want to pay for no service.

Might I add that I ordered broadband from eircom in 2006 had it set up and working in 7 days. But this time it's not as straightforward.

• Advertisement

Sc@recrow wrote: »
    Because we were fobbed off the same way...a tech came out..looked at the house and drove off again.
    Unfortunately 6 weeks later we were still waiting for broadband and Eircom kept pushing out the date.

Can I remind you that the op is just over two weeks into a possible 4 week process. Eircom so far have done what they said they would - if you ring Comreg in such circumstances they will rightly tell you that it is not a matter for them.

If Eircom or whoever the isp is dont live up to what they say then by all means go after them.

funkyflea wrote: »
    While I appreciate the lead time is up to 4 weeks, the engineer left off and didn't leave any information as to when he'd be back or whats happening, nor answer his phone. So that's why I rang customer care, who were absolutely no help at all.

I'm normally very patient as I understand these things take time but it's just the inconsistency and being left in the dark is really annoying.

They are due to bill me any day now and I don't want to pay for no service.

Might I add that I ordered broadband from eircom in 2006 had it set up and working in 7 days. But this time it's not as straightforward.

As I write above you are two weeks into a possible 4 week process. So far Eircom have done what they said they would do. No company will keep you up to date on a daily basis. I presume that when you ordered your bb before you had a working line?

You state that you are normally patient and yet you write above 'this is turning out to be a nightmare'

The service you have received over the phone is lamentable but I really dont know what more you could expect on the ground? They have attempted to contact you - remember you didn't answer your phone either as you accuse the engineer of not doing. They have visited your home where you say the line is draped over some sort of shed so presumably will require some additional work on their part? That was only yesterday?

So where is the nightmare? I dread to think what you would be like if you didn't have patience!

Their customer service is more than lamentable. The engineer yesterday left off without leaving any coherent message for me.

Today, two different engineers came so I left work to be home for them, they connected my line, only took a few minutes and they left. They were altogether more pleasant and I don't see why it couldn't of been done yesterday, or someone couldn't have told me they'd be back tomorrow.

Just a little communication goes a long way. Yes I can't answer my phone in work but I rang them back straight away.

Now, my line is installed and I must re-order broadband, as eircom state I never ordered it, but I did, on their website.

So I will order again today, and update the thread when it's all set up, for future reference.

So I rang again on Friday 24th to order broadband, on my newly installed line. I got through to what seemed to be an Indian call centre and the man took my details, put me on hold for a few minutes, then came back and said sorry but I will have to call back on Monday.

I asked for more information but he said sorry just call back Monday. <-- exact words.

I don't know what that was about so I said I'd ring back Monday, so that's what I've just done. Now I got through to a lady who asked me for my number, checked it, confirmed that my line was installed on the 22nd, but it is not available for her to check at the moment.

She then told me to call back after a few days, Wednesday at the earliest. So I will call back on Wednesday to see whats going on.

I will be in hospital wednesday so hoping it will be a brief phonecall and that I won't have to ring back again after a few days..

Update: Thought I'd chance the line tester on BTIreland.ie and on broadbandatoz.ie, and it says my line is suitable for broadband.

I ordered broadband straight away, 3Mb, BB only. Says it's pending confirmation.

I hope it doesn't take too long, it's just under a month since I started my process with Eircom.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Always always always when dealing with phone monkeys, take the CSRs name and repeat it several times during the conversation so they know you have it, also note times of all calls and contact with eircon, they can be brutal if you let them.

Yeah, I'm taking names now. I had a missed call from them in work this morning so rang back just there, got transferred to another department who said that they didn't ring me and I got disconnected.

So I rang again and I was told now I have to wait until August 12th for my broadband to be connected.. *sigh* :(

Update, I sent in some comments last week about eircom customer service agents I'd spoken to, got a call this morning from a woman who apologised and said I can have a months free line rental.

Now I just wait.

Update: 5th August (just over a month since I ordered)

I received my wireless router and I am connected to eircom broadband.

I ordered 3Mb connection:
    My line stats are:
    Downstream Upstream
    Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 2048 256
    SN Margin (dB) 12.80 12.00
    Line Attenuation (dB) 59.00 31.50
    CRC Errors 401 4

My speedtest result was
    Ping 88ms
    Down 1.50
    Up 0.26

Are these normal for 3Mb? Should I downgrade?

Advertisement