Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Secret of Monkey Island

• 07-07-2009 11:29am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭

According to Xbox360achievements.org The Secret of Monkey Island is coming to Xbox Arcade next Wednesday!

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/news/news-3092-Secret-of-Monkey-Island-on-the-XBLA-Next-Wednesday.html

This is fantastic news and I will be definitely buying this on launch day! It truly brings back all the old memories of point and click adventure games from (in my case) the Amiga. Some games still in production could take note of how a great narrative is told and how to employ good humour. Also, according to LucasArts, if Secret is a success we could see a return of the rest of their catalogue being released as well. It would be a crime to release Secret and not LeChuck's Revenge. I remember having nightmares about the end part of Revenge, where you are running around trying to create your Voodoo Doll! :D

Will anybody else be getting this or would you rather wave your points around like a feather-duster on other Arcade stuff - such as Battlefield 1943 also being released on the same day?

Anybody else have any other games from the genre they would like to see being brought to Arcade? I for one would want Day of the Tentacle and both Simon the Sorcerer games!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭0ubliette

**** battlefield, 1943 is essentially the free patch that they released for battlefeld vietnam that had all the pacific island maps in it. Secret of monkey island is what ill be picking up next wednesday :D
    SOMI was my favourite game back in the day, want wait to play this, even if they did make a balls up of guybrushes hair in the enhanced graphics

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Yea, I can see myself pretty much having to buy this when it comes out :)

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭NunianVonFuch

Battlefield is out tomorrow.

I'm going to pick both up though, be nice to play the aul maps again with added destruction and Monkey Island with the voices and graphics. Nostalgia's great isn't it? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭rizzla

I wonder what the price of this is, anything over 1200 points and it'll be a definite no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭Vyse

Will definitely pick this up. What's a good site for buying cheap MS Points?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭Cactus Col

Only found out about this the other day ... can't wait. Had Secret of Monkey Island on our Amstrad PC (1512 ... that was 512k of ram) on I think about 8 5.25 inch floppy discs, on a cga monitor.

One of the best games I have played.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

Oh happy days ... I am still getting over the nostalgia flashback that is Sam & Max, and to have this come so close afterwards. Classic. :)
    (p.s. I hope it is less than 1200 points, though)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

800 points, apparently....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

Mr E wrote: »
    800 points, apparently....

Wow :D I was going to get it anyway (and play with speech and maybe the new graphics off..) but that price is fantastic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

or you could get an amiga emulator and play it for free* on a pc.
    though seeing it in high res might be worth a few quid

*if you own a copy of amiga roms. cough

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

800 points? sold. even though i know the game from start to finish, it'll be like 1990 all over again. ahhh memories.

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭Dublindude69

Why waste time releasing crappy old games, release something new dang it.

There are new titles released every single week and few if any of them will be fondly remembered in a decade. Monkey Island is one of the rare exceptions to the rule and as such any rerelease will be welcomed with open arms by true gaming fans. You are obviously the type of gamer who thinks that shiny graphics are what makes a game and be first in line to pick up the latest entry in the Fifa franchise.

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭Dublindude69

There are new titles released every single week and few if any of them will be fondly remembered in a decade. Monkey Island is one of the rare exceptions to the rule and as such any rerelease will be welcomed with open arms by true gaming fans. You are obviously the type of gamer who thinks that shiny graphics are what makes a game and be first in line to pick up the latest entry in the Fifa franchise.
    Are you stalking me?

Are you stalking me?

I don't stalk 12 year old trolls.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭NunianVonFuch

Tales of Monkey Island is out today as well. Maybe that'd be more up your alley.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭Liber8or

A quick update on the Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition.

It was announced today that the price for this game will be... 800 MSP!
    Unbelievable and fantastic! I really thought it would have been 1200-1600 MSP.

800 MSP, for a game that will last hours and hours, thoroughly enjoyable and humourous and ofcourse be riddled in sentiment and nostalgia for older gamers. I will definitely be buying this on launch day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭grimm2005

hmmm, was thinking about getting this for pc seeing as mouse is obv. more preffered to joypad for point and click but at 800MS points thats a very good deal considering the prices for most new arcade games. The achievments and 40' screen might just sway it for me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭WellyJ

On a similar note, I picked up episode 1 of Tales of Monkey Island, not expecting too much. But I have been pleasantly surprised, it's much more on par with the first 3 games than the awful "Escape from Monkey Island".

Really recommend it and can't wait for episode 2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

I'm enjoying this so far. I like most of the new artwork and the voices aren't bad at all. I'm finding it a bit easy though, even though it's been years since I've last played it.

I'm about 25% complete according to my save game
    Just at the bit where I need to find a ship and a crew to get to Monkey Island

Well worth 800 points.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

I'm finding myself not too bothered by the voices or artwork either.. I'll probably end up getting it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭Liber8or

I finished The Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition just now. If you wait until the end of the credits (which takes long enough) you see the following message flash across the screen: "Guybrush Threepwood will return". It flashes a number of times, but I didn't count how many. Perhaps five times? Indicating the fifth game where he will return? Who knows!

Great game and still has all the wit and humour to beat any modern day challenger. Roll on LeChuck's Revenge please LucasArts!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭WellyJ

Liber8or wrote: »
    Just finished The Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition just now. If you wait until the end of the credits (which takes long enough) you see the following message flash across the screen: "Guybrush Threepwood will return". It flashes a number of times, but I didn't count how many. Perhaps five times? Indicating the fifth game where he will return? Who knows!

Great game and still has all the wit and humour to beat any modern day challenger. Roll on LeChuck's Revenge please LucasArts!

If you read up in this thread you will see where I mentioned "Tales of Monkey Island". This is techinically the 5th game, and it has just been released - i highly recommend you pick it up as it is really good. Check it out here - http://www.telltalegames.com/monkeyisland

This message you mention is surely referring to Lechuck's Revenge being remade also, I hope so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

WellyJ wrote: »
    This message you mention is surely referring to Lechuck's Revenge being remade also, I hope so.

Here's hoping, 1&2 were definately the best in the series!!! (Although Tales of... is good too, and much closer to them humour wise!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Monkey Island 2 was my favourite from the series. One of the most surreal endings I've ever seen.....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Much shorter than I had remembered. Still very cool. Is Sam N Max worth a download?

Don't think they've made the original Sam & Max (Sam & Max Hit The Road) available for download yet, but at the rate they're re-releasing the old games, I'm sure it'll be available soon!

As for the TellTale Games ones, I only played the very first one, it was good, but not quite as good as their Tales of Monkey Island game.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

I'm enjoying this so far. I like most of the new artwork and the voices aren't bad at all. I'm finding it a bit easy though, even though it's been years since I've last played it.

I'm about 25% complete according to my save game
    Just at the bit where I need to find a ship and a crew to get to Monkey Island

Well worth 800 points.

I think the voices are the old ones. Or at least, they were on *a* monkey island title previously. Looking forward to playing this ago.

It's the same people did the voices for Guybrush and Elaine on several M.I. games now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,874 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

"How appropriate, you fight like a cow"

Advertisement