Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Murder Hole - Images to share

• 07-07-2009 11:32am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 349 ✭✭

Hi folks,

I was up on the Rosguill peninsula of Donegal last week and took a visit to what must be one of Ireland's least well known gems, Boyeeghter Bay. This is certainly the most beautiful beach I have ever visited. There are no car parks, ice cream vans or sun loungers here. You have to walk over the fields and dunes to get to this one.

The Bay also goes under the more sinister name of 'The Murder Hole'. It must have some grisly past, but I have yet to find out what happened here.

ir452.jpg

ir453.jpg

ir449.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Great shots :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

Really like that 1st one ! brilliant. (edit: and the last with the sunlight on the sea).
    I drove thru Donegal a few years ago, and yes, the beaches are outstanding, especially in the right weather/light !
    I must go up there again (/...if I only had the time).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭dakar

Lovely shots Andy. My Dad grew up right in the middle of the Rosguill peninsula. It is a special place alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 349 ✭✭amcinroy

Dakar,

That's very interesting. Perhaps you might be able to answer a question I have.

The bay I photographed is known locally as the 'Murder Hole'. I can't find anything online about the history behind this name. A murder hole was normally an opening on a castle wall where the people inside could reign down hot oil and arrows. So as sounds like this place might have been used for a surprise attack or ambush. It would be all but impossible to make an escape if caught down here.

Do you happen to know how this bay got is name?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

Three lovely shots! Reminds me of home

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Wile E. Coyote

Found this on WIKI. Doesn't mention 'The Murder Hole' but might just be an idea of where the name came from.
    The area is heavy with legend, the name itself is supposed to have originated, when Fionn mac Cumhaill finally obtained justice by killing Goll mac Morna, the slayer of his father. This act is traditionally said to have taken place at a rock called Carraic Ghoill English: Carrickguill lying off the townland of Dooey. The entire area became known as the "Headland of Goll" or Rosgoill.

Deirdre and Naoise, are thought to have camped on the strand of Tramore, when fleeing from Conchobar mac Nessa King of Ulster and his Knights of the Red Branch.

The highest point on the peninsula is Gainne Mhor and its sister peak Gainne Bheag. The name derives from Gráinne, betrothed of Fionn mac Cumhaill and lover of Diarmuid Ua Duibhne. Whilst fleeing Fionn's Fianna warriors en route to Scotland, legend has it that they rested on the hill. Considerable damage to the south western face of Gainne has been the result of unrestrained excavation in recent years. It was also used as a dump for a period. Nach mór a' náire (What a shame).

In the late 4th century the son of Niall Noigíallach and the eponym of County Donegal (Tír Conaill),Conall Gulban , defeated the warriors of Ulaid, at Ballyshannon and Barnesmore. Conall's army chased the fleeing Ulstermen through Goll (Rosguill), Crích Chloinne Rosa, Crích Ua nDuach, Caim-Fhersaid Mhór, to the shores of Lough Foyle. Conalll Gulban and his brother Eógan, became the ancestors of the Kings of Tír Conaill and Tír Eógain (County Tyrone) respectively.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭chezzer

Amazing shots !! -- I was in Donegal when i was a boy ... these beaches are fantastic ... and such clean water as well ..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭dakar

I asked my Dad and he hasn't heard the term before. He's going to ask around for you though.

Also he's got a book at home called 'Rambles around Rosguill' that I'll have a look through when I get a chance.

I'll keep you posted :)

I know of a particular beach in Donegal that is only accessible from a neighbouring beach when the tide is out. the beach is known locally as stuck-in, because a few people of the years have driven their car around to it when the tide was out. Tide came back in the they were "stuck in". The only way out then in to climb a mini cliff :D
    Local Donegal terms - i could go on for days with examples of stuff like this!

Many thanks Dakar, much obliged,

Longshanks, do share. I'm always on the look out for quiet places tucked along the coast. Where is it?

Andy

• Advertisement

amcinroy wrote: »
    Many thanks Dakar, much obliged,

Longshanks, do share. I'm always on the look out for quiet places tucked along the coast. Where is it?

Andy

Its about 5 miles north of Buncrana. There is a little pathway all the way from buncrana to Stragill with a couple lovely beaches on route. Stragill is accessible by car but the majority of the rest of them ain't. "Stuck-in" is just around the corner from Stragill (when tide out :D) or across a few fields and down a small but steep hill otherwise. The entire coastline all the way up this side of inishowen is covered in beaches like this.
    Its been a while since i was out this way but would take a lot to top Boyeeghter Bay in your pics above

picture1muu.png

Aha !!!!! Longshanks

you mean this one

I checked my geotagging and I'm in your exact spot.

Hehehe. Whats the chances of that :D
    Mind you there aren't many holes in Inishowen I've not climbed into.

ir182.jpg

Bloody hell :eek: Thats mental!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Dodgykeeper

Andy super shots again, your work is amazing.

Am up your way on the 23rd, plan on visiting the Causeway then getting Ferry to Greencastle, visiting Ballyliffen and Fahan en Route to the Brandywell for the Europa Cup match, a whistle stop tour!

And another

ir24.jpg

Now lets see if I can get your brain working.

Where in Inishowen is this? It's up your way for sure.

ir329.jpg

Am up your way on the 23rd, plan on visiting the Causeway then getting Ferry to Greencastle, visiting Ballyliffen and Fahan en Route to the Brandywell for the Europa Cup match, a whistle stop tour!

Do get in touch when you come across. I'd be delighted to take you down a big sea cave.

amcinroy wrote: »
    And another

ir24.jpg

Now lets see if I can get your brain working.

Where in Inishowen is this? It's up your way for sure.

ir329.jpg

Are they from the same beach? I can't remeber the beach name but us the first taken from a beach right beside an old convent / retreat centre?

Just wondering if ye lads(amcinroy,Longshanks100) or lassies have any photos of a beach (or beaches) around Dunfanaghy. I remember taking a back road near Dunfanaghy and finding a wonderful beach (extended beach). I had an old film P&S at the time but still love looking at my (ordinary) photo, the whole scene is very colorful & peaceful.

Just googlin there and wondering if this might be the beach I'm talking about, ie. the 'X' in the map.
    Also Is the 'correct mark' in the map the location where you took that No. 1 photo in your opening post ?

Moriseee,

Could it be this one?

This is Tramore Strand which is a short walk from Horn Head bridge at Dunfanaghy. A beautiful beach and again, one you have to walk to.

ir433.jpg

Longshanks, think over the gap. Mamore Gap that is.

mmmm.....not sure (another lovely pic BTW)
    Looking at Google Earth, I think it might be Magheroarty Beach, I might be wrong with my assumption its near Dunfanaghy.

• Advertisement

Morisee,

No I am mistaken, the photo I have shown is of the beach to the west of horn head on your map.

The X is the main beach that you can see from Dunfanaghy (Killahoey I think). I think the other one is the Marble Hill beach on Ards. I don't have any photos of that one I'm afraid.

Magheroarty is further west than your map shows. I think that is out where the summer ferry leaves for Tory Island.

Andy

Well if you gooogle enough you'll eventually find what you are looking for, this is a pic thats very similar to mine, strange as I always assumed it was near Dunfanaghy, doh!

Advertisement