Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ford Focus Brakes?

• 07-07-2009 11:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭

Hi,

The brakes have worn on my ford focus that i heard grinding yesterday morning. Needed the car for work yesterday, and i then left it in the garage this morning. Quoted €230 to fix. They need new discs as well apparently.

This car, i had to get a new fuel pump, tyres, alternator, timing belt and now brakes + discs all within 6 months.

Im a ****ing student on €300 a week ffs.

How could the discs wear down so quickly?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,668 ✭✭✭maidhc

Im a ****ing student on €300 a week ffs.

How could the discs wear down so quickly?

How old is the car?

I don't want to sound harsh, but cars do cost substantial money to run, and if you can't afford it then maybe it is better sticking to the bus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 283 ✭✭ford jedi

we do those pads and discs for the 1.4 and 1.6 focus 130 fitted while you wait ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,668 ✭✭✭maidhc

ford jedi wrote: »
    we do those pads and discs for the 1.4 and 1.6 focus 130 fitted while you wait ,

that is actually very cheap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

if you were anyway handy you could replace the brakes yourself. 40 quid will see the pads. as for the discs? does it vibrate if you brake?

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Tony Almeida

Its a 1.8tcdi ghia 00' model

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Take a wheel off and inspect the discs, is there an outer rim/lip?
    Or you can probably just feel with you hand if there is and leave wheel on.

Video http://www.ehow.com/video_2327304_inspect-brake-rotors.html

You can feel the metal shavings on the disc. Also, there was serious grinding any time i braked, and then if i stopped at roundabouts then moved on, it was as if the brakes were stuck, it would grind for a while as i accelerated

i reckon is the disc is not gone try replacing the pads yourself. if the disc is gone and the other poster will do it for 130 go with that option

The car is already getting done.

If only i cocking knew before now.

sure its no bother. ou will know for the next time.

• Advertisement

To what someone said earlier, i neeed the car. I work in Athlone, live in Galway. The train is as pricy as the car in terms of fuel. And im from Donegal, and ive had enough of buses tbh.. Could never go back to public transporting it now ive had the freedom of a car

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

To what someone said earlier, i neeed the car. I work in Athlone, live in Galway. The train is as pricy as the car in terms of fuel. And im from Donegal, and ive had enough of buses tbh.. Could never go back to public transporting it now ive had the freedom of a car

Unfortunately with the freedom of owning a car comes the expense of maintaining it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭ianobrien

You can feel the metal shavings on the disc. Also, there was serious grinding any time i braked, and then if i stopped at roundabouts then moved on, it was as if the brakes were stuck, it would grind for a while as i accelerated

I'd say, by the sound of it that the discs were well f**ked. If you caught it early enough, you wouldn't have to change the discs as well as the pads

Maybe the next time you hear a strange noice, you'll investigate straight away. It could be cheaper in the long run....

Of all the items you mentioned, I'd consider them to be "serviceable" items, ie items that you'll have to replace at some stage on a car. Don't forget that the car is almost 10 years old (registered in 2000, so probably built in 1999), so stuff is getting near the end of it's design life.

Welcome to the joys of motoring....

Advertisement