Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to London at end of year

Options
  • 07-07-2009 11:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

I got a great job starting in London in October. Now I will be planning to be there for few years so will be bringing most my stuff over from here to there. Any ideas on the best way to get my stuff over there?

One idea i had was to rent a van and bring over all my stuff. one problem is wont be coming back to Ireland with the van so dont know of any rental place that can pick up a van in Dublin and drop it off in London.

Another idea is to just fly over there and bring a few things with me on the flight and get the rest sent over. I have no idea how much this would cost!?

Any ideas let me know? Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Depends on how much stuff you mean.

If you mean a TV and boxes of DVDs etc. etc. then your best bet is the van.

If you have accomodation sorted, you could do it in a day trip. I know it's a pain in the ass, but drive over on Saturday morning, drop van back Saturday evening, go out, a few beers, catch a plane Sunday afternoon, and there you go, you've moved.

Other than that, could you get a friend or family member to come with you and then they head back in the van on their own after helping you unload all of your stuff?

Would be a pretty solid favour.

I'd say it could be pretty pricey posting things over, and depending on the airline and prices for weight of luggage, you could try filling a spare suitcase full of all your crap on the way over, but wouldn't really be able to stuff TVs, Xbox's, Desktop computers and your favourite chair in there.

Advertisement