Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

My car is a SAAB, not a re-badged vectra !!! GRRRR

• 07-07-2009 12:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭

Why do people keep insisting on telling me that my car is a re-badged vectra - it's not, it's a feckin SAAB. My wife's volvo is not a re-badged focus either, it's a feckin' volvo!

I have driven the 9-3 and the vectra, the s40 and the focus back to backand they are not the same car - so feck off.

Does it annoy anyone else or just me?:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Just you it would seem...but you did pay extra for the vectaab:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,699 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

It's not a re-badged Vectra anymore, sure it's just a Koenisseegggg in a dowdy suit :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭Theta

Long Onion wrote: »
    Why do people keep insisting on telling me that my car is a re-badged vectra - it's not, it's a feckin SAAB. My wife's volvo is not a re-badged focus either, it's a feckin' volvo!

I have driven the 9-3 and the vectra, the s40 and the focus back to backand they are not the same car - so feck off.

Based on the same chassis as far as i know. I have a 9-3 aswell and i love it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

Only people who havent got a clue say it so dont worry too much about it. Anyway just ask them what they drive because nearly everything is related to something of a lesser badge out there now. Audi A3 = Skoda Octavia, Jaguar X type = Ford Mondeo, Chrysler 300C = Merc E class, Alfa Mito = Fiat Punto....and so it goes on. But infact even though alot of these cars share basic platforms they are completly different cars. Ask anybody who has ever driven a Seat Leon FR which in essence is a Golf GTI and they will tell you its not a great car yet the Golf is ( or was ) best in class. Go figure!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Mick K

I think the 9-3 Is a fine example of a vectra although I would have bought the not so poverty spec 9-5

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,663 ✭✭✭stealthyspeeder

Ah dont worry about it, if your car shares componants or design with another car model, it can confuse the simpletons!

For the record, I have a Mazda 3 (not a Ford Focus although Chassis design is same!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

R.O.R wrote: »
    It's not a re-badged Vectra anymore, sure it's just a Koenisseegggg in a dowdy suit :D

Good point!!

Seriously OP, it's a fact of life that many cars have shared mechanicals - just economies of scale. It's no bad thing IMO as long as they are significantly differentiated.

Looking at a 9-3 you would have no idea it was a Vectra chassis. Same thing with the S40/Focus. Half the time people are only pulling the p1ss saying it:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,794 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

I too drive a Koenigseggeggeggegg 9-3, and I doth protest !! :mad:

Everyone in their right minds knows it's really..........an Alfa :p:p

Kinda like a gurl who dresses plain on the outside, but underneath..........:eek: :D

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Long Onion

galwaytt wrote: »
    I too drive a Koenigseggeggeggegg 9-3, and I doth protest !! :mad:

Everyone in their right minds knows it's really..........an Alfa :p:p

Kinda like a gurl who dresses plain on the outside, but underneath..........:eek: :D

I agree wholeheartedly - Mary Harney and Anna Kournicova share the same basic workings (although radically different chasis' but I know where i'd rather plant myself for three hours a day (fnarr, fnarr;))

So all you's out there in your opel Harney's and Ford Coughlan's can just carry on happy that you saved a few bob - mmmmm, nice ride!

(although radically different chasis' but I know where i'd rather plant myself for three hours a day (fnarr, fnarr;))

I'd plant my fist on Harney....thats about it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭Victor_M

Saab Ed wrote: »
    I'd plant my fist on Harney....thats about it

Taken from an AH thread earlier

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,749 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Mick K wrote: »
    I think the 9-3 Is a fine example of a vectra although I would have bought the not so poverty spec 9-5

9-3 is a 10 year old Vectra whereas the 9-5 is a 20 year old Vectra :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

and the (petrol) engine is a 40 year old Triumph :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭alias no.9

They may not be identical twins but they're very closely related, think of them as sisters rather than cousins. Why does it drive you mad?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

alias no.9 wrote: »
    Why does it drive you mad?

Ask old shape A4 owners. The curse of platform sharing, the image of 'prestige' marques will always suffer as a result.

Ask old shape A4 owners. The curse of platform sharing, the image of 'prestige' marques will always suffer as a result.

Just insecurity and poor self esteem in other words?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Why are you so upset op?

May the taunts continue imo, because of average Joe's perception you can easily buy a used 9-3 for the price of a Vectra and a used S40 for the similar money as a Focus.

And it works the other way too for cars like the A3, A4, etc, if people are comfortable paying silly money for them in the belief they are getting something more then let them off, it's their money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

bazz26 wrote: »
    Why are you so upset op?

May the taunts continue imo, because of average Joe's perception you can easily buy a used 9-3 for the price of a Vectra and a used S40 for the similar money as a Focus.

And it works the other way too for cars like the A3, A4, etc, if people are comfortable paying silly money for them in the belief they are getting something more then let them off, it's their money.

absolutely.... let them keep thinking that....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,594 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Only people who havent got a clue say it so dont worry too much about it. Anyway just ask them what they drive because nearly everything is related to something of a lesser badge out there now. Audi A3 = Skoda Octavia, Jaguar X type = Ford Mondeo, Chrysler 300C = Merc E class, Alfa Mito = Fiat Punto....and so it goes on. But infact even though alot of these cars share basic platforms they are completly different cars. Ask anybody who has ever driven a Seat Leon FR which in essence is a Golf GTI and they will tell you its not a great car yet the Golf is ( or was ) best in class. Go figure!

Dont forget the
    SEAT Exeo and the Audi A4.. Spot the difference?? Yup.. the mug with the Audi paid a lot more for the same car :D

Not to mention how pi$$ed off you'd be when you discover your new Suzuki Alto

2009-suzuki-alto.jpg

is really a ...............

Nissan Pixo

nissan_pixo_1.jpg

the horror.........or is it the other way round :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭RichyX

EPM wrote: »
    Same thing with the S40/Focus. Half the time people are only pulling the p1ss saying it:)

I'd always assumed the S40 was Mondeo based, turns out I was wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

unkel wrote: »
    9-3 is a 10 year old Vectra whereas the 9-5 is a 20 year old Vectra :D
    peasant wrote: »
    and the (petrol) engine is a 40 year old Triumph :D

still makes for a pretty good combo though ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Becouse he payed Saab price for vectra :D

Its something you canr denied, it is biuld on old vectra. Only a bit more polished.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭cianclarke

peasant wrote: »
    still makes for a pretty good combo though ...

<3 viggen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Becouse he payed Saab price for vectra :D

Its something you canr denied, it is biuld on old vectra. Only a bit more polished.

That's why you buy a used one. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,096 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

vectra wrote: »
    Dont forget the
    SEAT Exeo and the Audi A4.. Spot the difference?? Yup.. the mug with the Audi paid a lot more for the same car :D

Except the Exeo is based on the old A4, so the "mug" would have had to travel forward in time when buying his A4 new if he was to discover that he was actually buying a Exeo with 4 rings on the front instead of an S.

And since he'd need a DeLorean to time travel, he wouldn't be buying an A4, or indeed an Exeo, in the first place.

But of course, the DeLorean was just a Lotus Esprit...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

Oh while we are at it, the "new" golf is based on the "old" golf. :rolleyes:

phutyle wrote: »
    Except the Exeo is based on the old A4, so the "mug" would have had to travel forward in time when buying his A4 new if he was to discover that he was actually buying a Exeo with 4 rings on the front instead of an S.

And since he'd need a DeLorean to time travel, he wouldn't be buying an A4, or indeed an Exeo, in the first place.

But of course, the DeLorean was just a Lotus Esprit...

Exeo is an A4
    Tell me then
    How much would an A4 cost of that model in the same spec as the exeo?
    My point was you can have a brand new Exeo ( a4 ) for less than an old A4
    Same car

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭bazzachazza

2008Saab9-3back.jpg
    v
    Opel-Vectra-2.jpg
    or is it this one
    opel_vectra_dti_98_grn.jpg

If I had to choose between these two, The Vectra would not be winning.

You will find OP that the people who say this to you are car snobs in themselves and are trying to belittle you and your car.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

Of course the 93 is a Vectra, and an RS4 is the exact same as an A4. :p

My previous car was a 93 and loved it - not so gone on the new styling though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,472 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Exeo is an A4
    Tell me then
    How much would an A4 cost of that model in the same spec as the exeo?
    My point was you can have a brand new Exeo ( a4 ) for less than an old A4
    Same car

The best question here would be:

How much would a brand new old model A4 cost right now at an Audi dealer if they happened to have one hanging around? It would be considerably cheaper than the current model regardless of whether the exeo existed or not. I dont think there would be a huge price difference between that and what seat are charging.
    Going by your argument, everyone should rush out and buy the old model A4 instead of the new ones. This doesnt make sense however because any price reduction gained by purchasing the old model will be lost on resale value. Chances are, the Exeo will suffer equally on resale.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,480 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I think the point he's making is that a new Exeo is cheaper than a lot of used A4's with the same spec.

mickdw wrote: »
    The best question here would be:

How much would a brand new old model A4 cost right now at an Audi dealer if they happened to have one hanging around? It would be considerably cheaper than the current model regardless of whether the exeo existed or not. I dont think there would be a huge price difference between that and what seat are charging.
    Going by your argument, everyone should rush out and buy the old model A4 instead of the new ones. This doesnt make sense however because any price reduction gained by purchasing the old model will be lost on resale value. Chances are, the Exeo will suffer equally on resale.
    So,
    Which model Vectra is the 93 based on?

Bring back the good auld days when you could have a non premium large saloon like this

Granada1.JPG

2.9 V6 and all. None of that TDI sh!te ...or one of these

omega_3000.jpg

Proper car for peanuts. Why is everybody fighting over what platform is what and over paying for a badge. Truth is we're all guilty cause nobody would buy the likes of these great cars when they were made cause people wanted "Premium badges" All the manufacturers did ( especially VAG) was fool everybody ...and they bought it in more ways than one.

We should start a campaign . BRING BACK BARGES. :D

I want to see Citroen XM's and Lancia Themas back on the road.

So,
    Which model Vectra is the 93 based on?

The current 9-3 uses the GM Epsilon floorplan but thats it. Only 40% of the grubby bits are shared with a Vectra but also an Alfa 159 and a Fiat Croma and one of thoses Lancias you only ever see in Italy ( I think its called Thesis). Dont forget the Opel Signum, Chevrolet Malibu a Saturn and some Holden in Australia On top of that some of what Saab does with that platform is then used in the Cadillac BLS

2008-cadillac-bls-wagon-rear-angle-view-588x422.jpg

2007-saab-9-3-sportcombi-1_460x0w.jpg

I think these pictures show this obvious similarities very well.

Heres a link to that handy for this http://www.economicexpert.com/a/GM:Epsilon:platform.html

So in conclusion a Saab 9-3 is not a Vectra , infact using the dates by which each brand got to use the platform first you could say the Vectra is a Saab 9-3. Think of the Vectra being to the 9-3 as what an Octavia is to an A4 and I think that sums it up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭DaMonk

I agree with OP completely. ITs so annoying when people say this, its complete car snobbery. So what if it shares a platform? how many of us go around mondello in our 9-3's and say 'should a bought a vectra, sure its the same drive'? we're not michael schumacher, a hell of alot of a cars value to an owner is on the styling, comfort and looks.

I think a 9-3 is a far nicer car than a vectra any day. 99% of the population wouldn't even know they shared the same platform and anybody that looks at a 9-3 and says "ha, should a bought a vectra" is just trying to stroke their own ego into that they'd have done the better option and make them feel warm about themselves.

I cant stand the look of vectra's but I love the 9-3 even though I dont have one and frankly, I'd be happy it shared the same platform as it shows its proven with the niggles taken out and easier for parts!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Off topic, I was up at Tom Walsh Motors in Baldoyle today. The SAAB sign was being pulled off it's foundations by a truck crane.

RIP* SAAB

*Rest In Pieces

colm_mcm wrote: »
    I think the point he's making is that a new Exeo is cheaper than a lot of used A4's with the same spec.

Exactly my point.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 935 ✭✭✭samsemtex

Confab wrote: »
    Off topic, I was up at Tom Walsh Motors in Baldoyle today. The SAAB sign was being pulled off it's foundations by a truck crane.

RIP* SAAB

*Rest In Pieces

they have been bought by Koenigsegg and have three new models coming in the next year. No RIP is necessary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭Theta

Confab wrote: »

RIP* SAAB

*Rest In Pieces

They only got the sign fixed recently so i dont see them getting rid of it. Its was all smashed up at one stage.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭furtzy

My car is a Vectra, not a re-badged SAAB !!! GRRRR

Any way who cares. All cars share thousands of components.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭kuro_man

Exeo is based on the old A4 but has the suspension and engine choice from the new one so it is, in fact, a hybrid between the old and new A4.
    As the new A4 is nothing special over the old one except for the suspension and engine improvements, exeo would seem to be an excellent choice on paper.
    However, there is no doubt the owning an Audi is better than owning a SEAT when discussing cars at a dinner party so the Audi will have better residuals. It depends on how often you change your car; the Audi may be the better value in the end.

But, imho, both are fairly boring euro-boxes not worth loosing any sleep over, just like the OP's 9-3.

The current 9-3 uses the GM Epsilon floorplan but thats it. Only 40% of the grubby bits are shared with a Vectra but also an Alfa 159 and a Fiat Croma and one of thoses Lancias you only ever see in Italy ( I think its called Thesis). Dont forget the Opel Signum, Chevrolet Malibu a Saturn and some Holden in Australia On top of that some of what Saab does with that platform is then used in the Cadillac BLS

The Alfa 159 is based on the GM/Fiat premium platform, not the Epsilon. It had been intended for use in the next generation 9-5 too but they've since switched that to the Epsilon 2 platform, but left the 159 compromised by the extra weight that was required to engineer it for the 9-5. No Lancia is built on the Epsilon, so all you've managed to do there is pull the unloved Croma and some other GM junk into the mix.

Hmm ... this is all getting a bit too technical for me methinks. I was only making the point that it p1sses me off when people feel the need to say "you know that's only a vectra" - well it's not, it's a Saab, the badge says Saab, the engine says Saab, the boot says Saab.

It's not even a snob thing, some people hate Saab's the vectra could be a better car for all i care (i didn't buy it new anyway) but it doesn't say vectra or opel anywhere on it so quite simply, it's not an opel vectra. To anyone who says it is, I now reply, at the top of my voice ...

"YORE MAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Hmm ... this is all getting a bit too technical for me methinks. I was only making the point that it p1sses me off when people feel the need to say "you know that's only a vectra" - well it's not, it's a Saab, the badge says Saab, the engine says Saab, the boot says Saab.

It's not even a snob thing, some people hate Saab's the vectra could be a better car for all i care (i didn't buy it new anyway) but it doesn't say vectra or opel anywhere on it so quite simply, it's not an opel vectra. To anyone who says it is, I now reply, at the top of my voice ...

Does it say Fiat on the 1.9 Diesel engine one though?? :D

The real point here is why do you care? It is what it is, you've made your choice, why are you so insecure about it? The Alfa GT can trace it's origins back to the Fiat Tipo but that doesn't mean that it looks or drives like one, it's still related to it though.

alias no.9 wrote: »
    The real point here is why do you care? It is what it is, you've made your choice, why are you so insecure about it? The Alfa GT can trace it's origins back to the Fiat Tipo but that doesn't mean that it looks or drives like one, it's still related to it though.

I'm not insecure about it in any way, shape or form, but for some reason I do care - It bugs the bollix off me. I reackon people who say it read it in a magazine once or heard Clarkson say it and now they just repeat it ad nauseum - do you not think that it is irritating?

I'm not insecure about it in any way, shape or form, but for some reason I do care - It bugs the bollix off me. I reackon people who say it read it in a magazine once or heard Clarkson say it and now they just repeat it ad nauseum - do you not think that it is irritating?

Boo Hoo!
    Why don't you sell the 9-3 and buy a Vectra (or Unkel's 928) - problem solved!

kuro_man wrote: »
    Boo Hoo!
    Why don't you sell the 9-3 and buy a Vectra (or Unkel's 928) - problem solved!

Because then i'd just get some assbagger telling me "it's the same as a Saab that ... " ... blah blah blah ...

Because then i'd just get some assbagger telling me "it's the same as a Saab that ... " ... blah blah blah ...

No, they won't because that would flatter the Vectra. They might say that you bought a sh*t car, though. Buy the 928 or get perspective, its only a car.

• Advertisement
Advertisement