Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

My car is a SAAB, not a re-badged vectra !!! GRRRR

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Long Onion wrote: »
    I'm not insecure about it in any way, shape or form, but for some reason I do care - It bugs the bollix off me. I reackon people who say it read it in a magazine once or heard Clarkson say it and now they just repeat it ad nauseum - do you not think that it is irritating?

Clarkson spouts opinion, this is fact. The 9-3 is heavily based on the Vectra, but why do you care? If you're happy with your choice then just tell them you don't care. You seem to be seeking some validation from others in your choice of car, **** them, it's your car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

alias no.9 wrote: »
    The Alfa 159 is based on the GM/Fiat premium platform, not the Epsilon. It had been intended for use in the next generation 9-5 too but they've since switched that to the Epsilon 2 platform, but left the 159 compromised by the extra weight that was required to engineer it for the 9-5. No Lancia is built on the Epsilon, so all you've managed to do there is pull the unloved Croma and some other GM junk into the mix.

I am sorry. You are correct in that. Wikipedia time for me and this is what I came up with

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM2900_platform

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_Epsilon_platform

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM/Fiat_Premium_platform

Now just to get into what everybody else is arguing about; is everybody forgetting that the previous Vectra is a good car, awful image but a good car. Its handling and body control is far superior to anything that anything VW or Audi have come up with. Yes its looses to BMW for drivability but then again a boggo Mondeo is a better package than a boggo 3 series and you dont see 316 drivers pointing this out and queing to buy 2.0 litre Ghias.. I dont really care to much for the pride of the current 9-3 being saved here , personally Im not a huge fan of the modern stuff, its the older Saabs I like. But slaging a car off because its related to another one with a bad image even though its fundamentaly a very good car is just pure ignorance IMO. Like I said in a previous post a Skoda Octavia is a Seat Leon is a VW Golf is an Audi A3 is an Audi TT, all of which do their level best to jump into a ditch with Smart car levels of understeer and bottom out over any sort of undulating surface but you never hear anybody call a TT a Skoda in drag. Reason: THEY AER NOT THE SAME CAR. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Saab Ed wrote: »
    but you never hear anybody call a TT a Skoda in drag.
    ahem...;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 616 ✭✭✭BnA

Ahhh don't worry about it.

No matter what you have in this world, not just cars, but your house, your job, your clothes, etc... you'll always find some bitter aul' baalix who wants to run it down to try and make himself feel better about his own short comings. If you were to spend your life worring about twats like that you'd be tormented.

I say, just add it to what I call your "twat filter". Anyone who makes comments like that, you know straight away, they're a twat, and you can move on and just ignore anything else that comes out of their gobs.

Anan1 wrote: »
    ahem...;)

Should we start a " My car is an Audi not a Skoda " Thread :D:D:D

Should we start a " My car is an Audi not a Skoda " Thread :D:D:D
    An 'I like my car for what it is and I don't care what it was derived from' one might be better.;)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

EPM wrote: »
    Same thing with the S40/Focus. Half the time people are only pulling the p1ss saying it:)

The S40- before its remodel in late 2004- was actually based on the Mitsubishi Carisma- and the old 1.6s and 1.8s are in actual fact Mitsubishi engines (the larger 1.9 is a Renault engine and only the 2.0 is in actual fact a Volvo designed engine).

All S40s post 2004- are based on the Mazda 3/new EU Focus platform (known by Volvo as the P1 platform).

The V40 (estate version of the S40) was also based on the Mitsubishi charisma- sharing almost 3/4 of its parts- but with a unique electrical system- subsequently rolled out in future Ford lines. It was discontinued altogether in 2004 and replaced with the V50- also based on the P1 platform (Mazda 3/ New EU Focus), and assembly moved to the Ford plant in Ghent in Belgium.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

I wholeheartedly agree...see here:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,749 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

EPM wrote: »
    I wholehartedly agree...see here:D

Thread merge time :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭robbie99

The Fiat Croma shared its platform with the Lancia Thema, Alfa 164 and Saab 9000. Same wheelbase and some interchangeable parts apparently.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Type_Four_chassis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,794 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

...I believe my 968 is an Audi.

Where does that leave me ? :D:D:p

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

robbie99 wrote: »
    The Fiat Croma shared its platform with the Lancia Thema, Alfa 164 and Saab 9000. Same wheelbase and some interchangeable parts apparently.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Type_Four_chassis

Nah that was the old Croma. The new Croma is the one we're talking about but then again its an easy mistake seeing how nobody I know has ever seen one :D:D:D

51_FiatCroma.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,699 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Nah that was the old Croma. The new Croma is the one we're talking about but then again its an easy mistake seeing how nobody I know has ever seen one :D:D:D

51_FiatCroma.jpg

Saw on in Italy last year - nice looking motor. We've had a few of the Old Models back recently - pretty good sellers :) Does that mean they are the same as the 9-5's we are trying to sell :confused:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I like the 9-3

R.O.R wrote: »
    Saw on in Italy last year - nice looking motor. We've had a few of the Old Models back recently - pretty good sellers :) Does that mean they are the same as the 9-5's we are trying to sell :confused:

Are they a good seller second hand. Just shows you. In fairness a JTD with a good spec is probably a great bargain buy compared to similar cars.

• Advertisement

Are they a good seller second hand. Just shows you. In fairness a JTD with a good spec is probably a great bargain buy compared to similar cars.

Circa €5,500 for a 1.9JTDm 120ps with 110,000km and all the toys. Things are huge inside so it's a lot of car for the money, especially if you know the full history and there have been no major issues.

Circa €5,500 for a 1.9JTDm 120ps with 110,000km and all the toys. Things are huge inside so it's a lot of car for the money, especially if you know the full history and there have been no major issues.

What year are they?

galwaytt wrote: »
    ...I believe my 968 is an Audi.

Where does that leave me ? :D:D:p
    Ahead of me anyway, my 911's a Beetle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Long Onion

51_FiatCroma.jpg

My old Art teacher had a croma - she was kinda funny lookin' but you definately would 'cause she was different - kinda like the car actually - do you think that owners and their cars develop a resemblance over time?

Ahead of me anyway, my 911's a Beetle.

My TV

e758e_hyundai-w220t1.jpg

Is a car

hyundai_atos_2.jpg

Well if you call that a car :D:D:D

• Advertisement

What year are they?

2006!

One of the guys came out of one of them in to a 147 - reckon he'll miss the space.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

Hmm ... this is all getting a bit too technical for me methinks. I was only making the point that it p1sses me off when people feel the need to say "you know that's only a vectra" - well it's not, it's a Saab, the badge says Saab, the engine says Saab, the boot says Saab.

It's not even a snob thing, some people hate Saab's the vectra could be a better car for all i care (i didn't buy it new anyway) but it doesn't say vectra or opel anywhere on it so quite simply, it's not an opel vectra. To anyone who says it is, I now reply, at the top of my voice ...

"YORE MAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Why don't you 'take the wind out of their sails' by saying something like:

'Yes, nice cars those Vectras', and then get in your car and drive away.

They will be left there, thinking - what just happened there? :confused:
    I tried to insult his car, and it did NOT work :eek:.

2006!

One of the guys came out of one of them in to a 147 - reckon he'll miss the space.

Jebus H they are bargains. Some car for the dough

P.C. wrote: »
    Why don't you 'take the wind out of their sails' by saying something like:

'Yes, nice cars those Vectras', and then get in your car and drive away.

They will be left there, thinking - what just happened there? :confused:
    I tried to insult his car, and it did NOT work :eek:.
    I wouldn't just assume that they even intended to insult the OP's car - it's the kind of thing that anyone with an interest in cars would know, and might say simply in conversation. I'm getting the distinct impression here that the one who has a problem with the 9-3 being a derivative of the Vectra is the OP. I mean, honestly, who cares what's based on what? The OP's happy with their car, if they really wanted a real SAAB then i'm sure they'd buy one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

I wouldn't just assume that they even intended to insult the OP's car - it's the kind of thing that anyone with an interest in cars would know, and might say simply in conversation. I'm getting the distinct impression here that the one who has a problem with the 9-3 being a derivative of the Vectra is the OP. I mean, honestly, who cares what's based on what? The OP's happy with their car, if they really wanted a real SAAB then i'm sure they'd buy one.

Exactly.

Buy a car for what you want from a car, not for what you think other people want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

Are you saying you've had a few Cromas in as p/xs? OLD Cromas? As in '80s Cromas:eek:? Haven't seen one in donkeys...
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/3a/Fiat_Croma_1989_grey.jpg

The Croma, Saab 9000, Lancia Thema and Alfa 164 (Type Four project?) were all built on the same platform. It was quite novel back in the mid-80s. As a car-mad kid I liked the Alfa and the Saab...

pburns wrote: »
    Are you saying you've had a few Cromas in as p/xs? OLD Cromas? As in '80s Cromas:eek:? Haven't seen one in donkeys...
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/3a/Fiat_Croma_1989_grey.jpg

no-image-large.gif

Only one's I've ever seen on the road either had our plate surrounds on, or are done up like an Ambulance - they are based in the same business park as us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,594 ✭✭✭✭vectra

if they really wanted a real SAAB then i'm sure they'd buy one.

Low Ball :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Long Onion

The whole issue is now sorted. I've just been on e-bay and ordered two opel badges and i'm going to stick them on my car. I'll stick two ford badges on the volvo while i'm at it and i reckon that will confuse the fcuk out of people for months to come.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,594 ✭✭✭✭vectra

The whole issue is now sorted. I've just been on e-bay and ordered two opel badges and i'm going to stick them on my car. I'll stick two ford badges on the volvo while i'm at it and i reckon that will confuse the fcuk out of people for months to come.

Dont forget to get a big SCANIA tinted sun visor for across the windscreen :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Nip down to the breaking yard in Kilcock and get new front grills too while you're at it. They're remarkably easy to fit you know :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

vectra wrote: »
    Dont forget to get a big SCANIA tinted sun visor for across the windscreen :D

what about TYPE-R sticker? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

samsemtex wrote: »
    they have been bought by Koenigsegg and have three new models coming in the next year. No RIP is necessary.

Damn it! I thought the world was free of the Vectra menace! :p

Advertisement