Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Open mic night?

Options
  • 07-07-2009 12:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hi Hi,
    So I know that the Cellar does open mic, but only during the college year, do any of ye know anyplace else in Galway that's doing open mic at the moment?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

Try Roisin Dubh - they've started running the Laughter Lounge again on Weds nights. Don't know if they still do open mic, but they did last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭inisboffin

OP, do you mean open mic for music/singer-songwriter or open mic for comedy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭BannedGugai

New singer/songwriter open mic night starting upstairs in Róisín on Saturdays in August.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Mr Maroon

Outside of the city, I know there's one in Kinvara.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Shop St. BYO mic though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 rylaine

roisin sounds good :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Cheek of Gaugi advertising the ros!

GEDDEM LADS!

p.s.

Gaugi, flip is in 903 tonight with Lexicon, do it!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

rylaine wrote: »
    open mic galway?
    Old thread, same question.

Any open mics running in Galway at the moment? The cellar aren't doing it, unless they are waiting for the students to come back...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭Mr.Mister

Garveys do a open mic as far as i know.

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭dafunk

Think the Oslo do aswell.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29 helmetjack

Garveys on eyre square have an open mic on Tuesdays, there is a good atmosphere, and crowd are very respectful and supportive. Mostly originals, but covers seems to be more than welcome also.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭jkforde

there's open mic in the Oslo on Thursdays... happened to be there last week and there was a half decent fella on guiitar by himself at the back with a Liam O'Maonlai-lookalike promoter of the thing totally smashed mumbling on stage... not the greatest but fair dues to the guitarist, fair voice and playing

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

were there many there? Im thinkin of heading there tonight, do you need own guitar?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭jkforde

sorry to say that there was no one at the back except meself and the promoter... the guitarist seemed unfazed by it and genuinely seemed to enjoy just playing and singing... so give it lash, we might all drop in!:eek:

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

Cool, Yea i might call in to have a look. You should deffo drop in to Garveys on Tuesday if around. cheers bud

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭crazy_spider

Sorry to dig up an old thread again. Just curios to what open mic's are still happening around galway?
    Is the one in Garveys still happening on Tuesdays?

I've heard the Nuig College bar has one on wednesdays and the Roisin has one on sundays? but the person who told me wasn't sure...

Do you know if there is guitars supplied or is it bring your own?

Hey,

Im not sure about college bar or roisins, but there is still one in Garveys on every Tuesday, guitars provided, and there is a very appreciative crowd.

There is also a showcase gig thing starting there on Wednesdays called the rosewood sessions if you're looking for a free gig.

P

helmetjack wrote: »
    There is also a showcase gig thing starting there on Wednesdays called the rosewood sessions if you're looking for a free gig.

P

Just wonderin' what you mean by 'a free gig'? You mean no cover charge for punters?

Sorry yea, its free of charge to come in and listen, and its also a gig that unsigned acts can book to play, and not worry about having to sell tickets or anything.

helmetjack wrote: »
    Sorry yea, its free of charge to come in and listen, and its also a gig that unsigned acts can book to play, and not worry about having to sell tickets or anything.

Ok, so you mean that the punters get in free, and also the musicians don't get paid or have to pay a venue deposit themselves? Fair enough I suppose if people know the score.

That 'selling tickets' and 'pay to play' lark that some venues (mainly in Dublin) have chanced their arm at does nothing but kill decent music.

There's a singer/songwriter night once a month in The Crane I believe, and also a women in music night starting soon there. Fair play to them. I think it is curated as opposed to open mic, and the performers get a door cut.

• Advertisement

Cool, I was in at a night in the Crane on Thursday night last week, it was quite enjoyable, it was for charity, Noelie Mcdonnell n another singer songwriter and a band were playing.

Anyway, just to be clear..

Punters do get in free,
    Musicians dont get paid,
    or
    have to pay venue deposit or pay anything else!

We're not doing it for money, Im a singer songwriter who travels to dublin to play original gigs, and I wanted to meet other like minded musicians and also give musicians a chance to play a gig in Galway where they could advertise to friends/fans that they are playing,

So hopefully the venue makes a few euro on drink sales, acts get to showcase their music, listening crowd get to hear some good music, I get to play a few songs for my effort and hopefully everyone is happy.

Its called the Rosewood sessions, and its on every second Wednesday in Garveys Inn, starting from tomorrow 9th March.
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Rosewood-Sessions/143279855735299

Do call in for a look if around, and pass on the word if you enjoy.

Fair play to you. I'm happy to support original material nights, even for a small cover (I'm not loaded mind). I think original bands get the short change from venues a lot, not getting paid, or worse, as we both mentioned, the *pay to play* rubbish. At minimum a drink or two is in order, just like at a trad session imo. I will spread the word. One day hopefully venues will start hiring more original bands. Cork puts us to shame!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Might stick my nose into Garveys tomorrow. Not heard of any of the acts though (not that it makes a difference).
    Hate the 'pay to play' thing. When I lived in London in the 80/90s there was a campaign to Boycott pubs that tried that. It was just easy revenue for the Brewerys.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 OldAtHeart

You are correct, The College Bar is running an Open Mic on Wednesdays and the same two lads are running the one upstairs in the Roisin Dubh on Sundays

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Dave Van Ronk

So what venues & days are the open mics on in Galway City?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 conmcflynn

There's also a comedy open mic night in Garvey's every Thursday, it's a great night, I would highly recommend it, it starts at 10pm.

Advertisement