Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Roundabouts - question

• 07-07-2009 12:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 782 ✭✭✭

There are a few roundabouts around my area that have 3 exits in total. Most exits have 2 lanes.

According to the rules of the road if you are getting off at the first or 2nd exit, you must be in the left lane, and the right lane for the 3rd+ exits.

What if the 2nd exit is 3/4 way around the roundabout? i.e you drive on to the roundabout pointing North, and driving off on the 2nd exit you will be pointing East. Going by the rules you should be in the left lane the whole time but most of the time I see people using the right lane until the exit.

The particular one im thinking off has two lanes driving on to the roundabout and on the roundabout but the exit is one lane.

To confuse the matter even more I saw a roundabout the other day that was the exact same layout except there were arrows on the lanes showing that the left lane is for turning left (first exit) and right lane for going right (2nd exit).

Are there rules anywhere for this?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Use the clock.

You arrive at the 6 mark. If you need to exit before or on 12, left lane.
    If you exit after 12, then right lane.

This is what an instructor told me, will see if I can find the rules about this.
    The "1st/2nd exit" system sucks imo

Link http://www.drivingschoolireland.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=243

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Cunning Alias

Yea that makes the most sense but there is nothing about it in the rules book. Got it in front of me here. All examples use the 4 exit diagram.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

If you look at the rules of the road booklet it refers to;
    Turning Left,
    Straight Ahead
    Subsequent exits.

Nowhere does it mention first or second exits, points of the clock, the compass, the lunar cycle or owt else.

Its either left, straight, or after that (right would have been simpler, no?)

Act accordingly, oh and try to use an indicator too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Cunning Alias

Ahh. See it now. Cheers

• Moderators Posts: 12,386 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Magnus wrote: »
    Use the clock.

You arrive at the 6 mark. If you need to exit before or on 12, left lane.
    If you exit after 12, then right lane.

This is what an instructor told me, will see if I can find the rules about this.
    The "1st/2nd exit" system sucks imo

Link http://www.drivingschoolireland.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=243
    Unless there is a sign depicting the lanes onto the roundabout and which corresponds to which, or arrows on the road depicting which lane goes to which exit.

Anyone here know the loughrea roundabouts? Arrows making no sense there!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

Anyone here know the loughrea roundabouts? Arrows making no sense there!

I know those roundabouts well and was recently boring my wife with a little rant about them.

The markings on the road conflict with the markings on the signs. For instance, on one of those roundabouts, the sign on the surface of the road (coming from Dublin) indicate that the Galway exit is straight on, whereas the sign shows Galway as being a right turn!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,495 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

For two lane roundabouts onto two lane roads it really should be as simple as:

If you're in the left hand lane you MUST come off at the next exit.

If you're in the right hand lane, you can come off at ANY exit.

I believe that way there is no chance of a collision from someone crossing from the right hand lane to an exit hitting someone in the left hand lane who is intending to carry on to a subsequent exit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭Terra

Surely we should be following the rules of the road

which state the 1st lane is for the 1st and 2nd exits and the 2nd lane is for the 3rd exit.

Problem I have as everyone seems to apply their own rules to the way a round about works.

Also I find a lot of roundabouts in Ireland are badly done making it very difficult to follow the rules of the road.

Terra wrote: »
    Surely we should be following the rules of the road

which state the 1st lane is for the 1st and 2nd exits and the 2nd lane is for the 3rd exit.

What happens if you enter at exit 1 in the right hand lane, intending to come off at exit 3, but someone enters in the left hand lane at exit 2 intending to come off at exit 4 (their 2nd exit)? SMASH.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 zamora77

Hi,
    Magnus is right, I am an instructor, the clock method is the best to follow, this is also how the driver testors operate, so if you follow this you will be ok, there will always be slight exceptions, but try follow the arrows on the road and keep in the appropriate lane and make sure on approach if turning right you must indicate right on approach and change the indicator to the left after you passthe junction brfore the one you want!

Regards

• Advertisement

Hi,
    SORRY ABOUT THE POOR TYPING IN THE LAST POST!!!:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Dacelonid

spockety wrote: »
    What happens if you enter at exit 1 in the right hand lane, intending to come off at exit 3, but someone enters in the left hand lane at exit 2 intending to come off at exit 4 (their 2nd exit)? SMASH.

They shouldn't be on the roundabout as their way is not clear. They should wait for you to pass them. Also if you are on the inside lane of a roundabout, you have to check over your left shoulder to make sure there is no car in the outside lane, if there is go around again.

Dacelonid wrote: »
    They shouldn't be on the roundabout as their way is not clear. They should wait for you to pass them. Also if you are on the inside lane of a roundabout, you have to check over your left shoulder to make sure there is no car in the outside lane, if there is go around again.

My method allows people to enter the left lane even if someone is approaching in the right hand lane, and ensures there's no smashes even if someone forgets to look over their shoulder.

:D

Hi,
    This could never be accepted, especially by driver testors, anyway you MUST look over your left shoulder, its simple the rules, why try change or convince anyone any different, before 12 on clock, left lane, after 12 right lane, why are we trying to confuse people, this is the only accetable way to approach roundabouts.
    :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 495 ✭✭brian076

zamora77 wrote: »
    Hi,
    This could never be accepted, especially by driver testors, anyway you MUST look over your left shoulder,:(

I hope you're not teaching your pupils to do this. You should check your LEFT door mirror, any vehicles will either appear in this or in your peripheral vision. You should not be looking over your shoulder while moving forward except in exceptional circumstances.
    It only takes a split second for someone to jam on their brakes or a child to run out in front of you while your looking behind.

brian076 wrote: »
    I hope you're not teaching your pupils to do this. You should check your LEFT door mirror, any vehicles will either appear in this or in your peripheral vision. You should not be looking over your shoulder while moving forward except in exceptional circumstances.
    It only takes a split second for someone to jam on their brakes or a child to run out in front of you while your looking behind.

Did you ever hear of a blind spot?

Hi,
    This could never be accepted, especially by driver testors, anyway you MUST look over your left shoulder, its simple the rules, why try change or convince anyone any different, before 12 on clock, left lane, after 12 right lane, why are we trying to confuse people, this is the only accetable way to approach roundabouts.

Because you are not the only one using the roundabout, and people enter from more than just your exit.

Your 6 o'clock is another man's 9 o'clock and so on.

Why would we use an algorithm for this which means that in theory there are times where you have to go around a roundabout TWICE in order to get a clear path to your exit? In fact, in theory you could be stuck on a roundabout for 50 years with no exit path!

Left lane must leave next exit.
    Right lane can leave at any exit.

Never have to go around more than once, and never hit anyone. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

If you are confused about roundabouts try a few laps of Walkinstown Roundabout, 5 exits and some interesting lane dicipline. Also Glenageary Roundabout, 6 exits including a shopping centre, was hit by a car there about 8 years ago, he never even seen me.

The best advice I ever got driving is to consider every other road user to be a fool and drive accordingly. You have to allow for other motorist even if they are wrong. It's better to do an extra lap of a roundabout than dying defending the right of way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 495 ✭✭brian076

churchview wrote: »
    Did you ever hear of a blind spot?

Yes but you shouldn't be checking them while your moving forward unless it's absolutely safe to do it. You check your blindspot before pulling away from the side of the road by looking over your right shoulder, but this is done while the car is stationary.

If your an experienced driver you can check over your shoulder briefly if you know its safe to do so when changing lane, but a learner may not know when it's safe to do so, or may look behind longer than necessary, which can cause all sorts of problems.
    If you're taking proper observation in your mirrors, there are very few occasions when you should be looking in the opposite direction to the way you're driving.

As an ex-driving tester, you wouldn't believe the number of people who fail their test because their instructor told them to look behind them every time the turned left or right.

brian076 wrote: »
    Yes but you shouldn't be checking them while your moving forward unless it's absolutely safe to do it. You check your blindspot before pulling away from the side of the road by looking over your right shoulder, but this is done while the car is stationary.

If your an experienced driver you can check over your shoulder briefly if you know its safe to do so when changing lane, but a learner may not know when it's safe to do so, or may look behind longer than necessary, which can cause all sorts of problems.
    If you're taking proper observation in your mirrors, there are very few occasions when you should be looking in the opposite direction to the way you're driving.

As an ex-driving tester, you wouldn't believe the number of people who fail their test because their instructor told them to look behind them every time the turned left or right.

Fair enough, I agree completely with your more detailed response. Thanks.

• Advertisement

spockety wrote: »
    Because you are not the only one using the roundabout, and people enter from more than just your exit.

Your 6 o'clock is another man's 9 o'clock and so on.

Why would we use an algorithm for this which means that in theory there are times where you have to go around a roundabout TWICE in order to get a clear path to your exit? In fact, in theory you could be stuck on a roundabout for 50 years with no exit path!

This is a joke, right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

For a country with so many roundabouts it's amazing we can't agree on how to use them, even in theory :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

How about overtaking on a roundabout?

In my reading of the regs, it's illegal if it would inconvenience to anyone else. So if by overtaking, you cut someone off from exiting, it's not allowed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,040 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Magnus wrote: »
    For a country with so many roundabouts it's amazing we can't agree on how to use them, even in theory :D

QFT

A person following me earlier was indicating right onto every roundabout and then just going off on the 1st exit which is at 12o'clock with no other indication:eek:

TBH it's got so bad on roundabouts now I just ignore other peoples indicators and only move when I feel safe to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Hi,

What about where the first exit is after the 12 o'clock position? and it's a 2 lane exit? And it brings you back onto the same road you left?( like at a dual carriageway/motorway junction slip)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭daRobot

Jesus, i'm glad to see that others find this confusing. I've been teaching the missus to drive, and not 100% if what i'm teaching her is right.

What I follow is: Left lane- 1st & 2nd exit .Right lane -3rd exit+

Ideally, they should paint the exit points on the roundabout entry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

There are a few roundabouts around my area that have 3 exits in total. Most exits have 2 lanes.

According to the rules of the road if you are getting off at the first or 2nd exit, you must be in the left lane, and the right lane for the 3rd+ exits.

What if the 2nd exit is 3/4 way around the roundabout? i.e you drive on to the roundabout pointing North, and driving off on the 2nd exit you will be pointing East. Going by the rules you should be in the left lane the whole time but most of the time I see people using the right lane until the exit.

The particular one im thinking off has two lanes driving on to the roundabout and on the roundabout but the exit is one lane.

To confuse the matter even more I saw a roundabout the other day that was the exact same layout except there were arrows on the lanes showing that the left lane is for turning left (first exit) and right lane for going right (2nd exit).

Are there rules anywhere for this?
    if any doubt about your exit off a roundabout go around it again. But third exit or three o clock is always the outside lane. first exit inside lane, second exit or twelve o clock is usually inside line. sometimes depends on how many lanes there are on road you are turning into

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

cjt156 wrote: »
    Turning Left,
    Straight Ahead
    Subsequent exits.

Nowhere does it mention first or second exits, points of the clock, the compass, the lunar cycle or owt else.

Read the book folks.
    Left lane if turning left or going straight, right lane if turning right. It doesn't matter which exit it is - it matters where it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭su_dios

Wow some pretty bad advice given on this thread! spockety you should never have to go around a roundabout more than once unless you have forgotten to take your exit!

I thought the OP's original question was about two lane exits and which to use. Two lanes entering..taking 2nd exit(straight ahead) which has two lanes on exit. In left lane intending to take 2nd exit you exit on the left lane. Entering in right lane intending on taking 2nd exit, exit in right lane. This seems to be one of the only exceptions to the rules above. Obviously the left lane is the lane that should be taken for this exit but the right is acceptable too and you're guaranteed to cause a crash if you enter left and exit right lane.

• Advertisement

trad wrote: »
    If you are confused about roundabouts try a few laps of Walkinstown Roundabout, 5 exits and some interesting lane dicipline. Also Glenageary Roundabout, 6 exits including a shopping centre, was hit by a car there about 8 years ago, he never even seen me.

The best advice I ever got driving is to consider every other road user to be a fool and drive accordingly. You have to allow for other motorist even if they are wrong. It's better to do an extra lap of a roundabout than dying defending the right of way.
    Walkinstown roundabout i thought was bad until i went on the Red Cow which is more suited to rally racing giving its bends and curves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

cjt156 wrote: »
    Turning Left,
    Straight Ahead
    Subsequent exits.

Use common sense.

Stay to the left lane for the 1st two exists, use right lane for every exit there after, this is the best way to avoid overlapping cars and accidents.

Do not use the CLOCK method - driving instructors use this and it is completely wrong to do so and can cause an accident with reference to blind spots over your left shoulder if your in the right lane

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Zube

kluivert wrote: »
    Stay to the left lane for the 1st two exists, use right lane for every exit there after, this is the best way to avoid overlapping cars and accidents.

And if you do have a tip, explain that some dude on the internet told you to ignore the Rules of the Road on the subject.

Zube wrote: »
    And if you do have a tip, explain that some dude on the internet told you to ignore the Rules of the Road on the subject.
    yes that does seem like good advice but if you are heading into an exit with two lane traffic you can officially approach via the outside line.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

Apropos roundabouts, is there a limit to how many times you can circle them? I saw National Lampoon's European Vacation the other day, and they circle a roundabout for ages. Office conversation holds that that's got to be illegal and there's a maximum limit. Any truth to this?

Snakeblood wrote: »
    Apropos roundabouts, is there a limit to how many times you can circle them? I saw National Lampoon's European Vacation the other day, and they circle a roundabout for ages. Office conversation holds that that's got to be illegal and there's a maximum limit. Any truth to this?
    Wouldnt think so but would assume you would have managed to get into the right lane at least af the third attempt.

• Advertisement
Advertisement