Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Work in Chicago

Options
  • 07-07-2009 12:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Hey all,

I hope this is correct forum. I've been offered a job in Chicago on a 12 month contract. I was just wondering what are people's opinion's are on Chicago? I know alot of students have been there for a summer but has anybody been there for longer, all year around? I hear it gets quite cold. Any other advice on accommodation, the city itself, etc, would also be appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

Moved from Travel & Holidays.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

The city is brilliant, fantastic place.
    Very hot in summer, Very cold in winter although even though it is colder there in winter than at any time in Ireland before the Ice age, you are prepared for it and its a dry cold so it does not chill you to the bone like it does here with our more humid cold.

Best of luck, some day I will probably move there with my wife.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭whitey1

Best city in the world in my humble opinion.

If you can afford it live downtown or Lincoln Park. Even if you cant afford it, live there! This will be the best year of your life----but not if you are 50 miles out in the 'burbs.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/chicago/

http://chicago.craigslist.org/

Check out these 2 links and post your questions on there. Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

If you cannot live downtown, then the bucktown area is a good one. Its on the blue line, great brewpub there and lots of other great bars and restaurants.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 ChicagoEoin

I'm an Ex-Pat in Chicago for the last 9 years

Whatever you do, DON'T LIVE DOWNTOWN

CONS
    Higher rent
    Very little grocery shopping available
    Night life is WAY too expensive, just as good north of city
    Everything is more expensive (Pints)
    Mostly offices (residential high rise)
    Harder to meet people, not as social
    More chaotic

PROS
    Close to work

Lots of good information @ www.CityOfChicago.org

Eoin

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 damn79

Thanks for all the advice guys, looking forward to my move! Is there much of an Irish community in Chicago? Are they young/old? From doing a bit of research it seems most Irish over there are of an older generation, most of the younger Irish if they are emmigrating head to New York but dont hear of many heading to Chicago. What about Irish bars, football, etc.

Now I know what your all thinking, what's the point going to Chicago to spend all your time in an Irish bar surrounded by Irish (I might aswell stay at home!) but I know absolutely nobody over there so the Irish bars may be a place to meet some people my own age.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 padswhack

Dam 79

I'm hoping to do the same thing.

How did you go about getting work?

I was in Chicago last summer. Its a great place. Its good craic and the people are really friendly. Its really easy to get around as well but if your looking for a place to live keep to the north brown, red, or blue 'El' lines. South red line is not friendly.

Also make sure your place is about a block away from the tracks cause its a really old system and the trains make a feckin racket.

Theres a fairly large Irish population over there as well and there are Irish heritage groups and things like that with a load of people whi are usually happy to help.

padswhack wrote: »
    Dam 79

I'm hoping to do the same thing.

How did you go about getting work?

I was in Chicago last summer. Its a great place. Its good craic and the people are really friendly. Its really easy to get around as well but if your looking for a place to live keep to the north brown, red, or blue 'El' lines. South red line is not friendly.

Also make sure your place is about a block away from the tracks cause its a really old system and the trains make a feckin racket.

Theres a fairly large Irish population over there as well and there are Irish heritage groups and things like that with a load of people whi are usually happy to help.

Padswhack,

There's a website I looked up, thebluebook.com, it gives a list of companies in any state in the US. Just type in your occupation into the "search for" box and select the state.

Believe me between all the states I must have sent over 100 e-mails (no exaggeration now). I got alot of rejection e-mails, but alot of companies did not even acknoledge my correspondence. I tried searching for most Irish named companies first, most of which replied saying they would pass their details to other people they knew.

I was looking for work in Construction so it was quite hard but luckily enough I found an Irish company who was willing to take me on. Starting in September!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12 padswhack

Damn 79

Thanks for that.

Chicago is a great place you'll have a good laugh there.
    If I can offer you any advice just let me know.

Good Luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 martyboy

hi i was just wondering wot visa u got to work in the usa? thanks

damn79 wrote: »
    Hey all,

I hope this is correct forum. I've been offered a job in Chicago on a 12 month contract. I was just wondering what are people's opinion's are on Chicago? I know alot of students have been there for a summer but has anybody been there for longer, all year around? I hear it gets quite cold. Any other advice on accommodation, the city itself, etc, would also be appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭jojo75

martyboy wrote: »
    hi i was just wondering wot visa u got to work in the usa? thanks

Martyboy,

There is a new 12 month work visa available for students who have recently graduated within 12 months. There's a seperate thread for it, have a look at here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055381254

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 martyboy

Yeah thanks i know about that visa and i'm presuming thats the one the guy got? That means he's just graduated within the last 12 months, i was wondering did he get some other kind of visa, i.e. was he sponsored to be out in the states instead of going out on the new J visa

jojo75 wrote: »
    Martyboy,

There is a new 12 month work visa available for students who have recently graduated within 12 months. There's a seperate thread for it, have a look at here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055381254

martyboy wrote: »
    Yeah thanks i know about that visa and i'm presuming thats the one the guy got? That means he's just graduated within the last 12 months, i was wondering did he get some other kind of visa, i.e. was he sponsored to be out in the states instead of going out on the new J visa

martyboy, as jojo said yeah that's the visa i got to work in the US although haven't got it yet, just have to do me interview. i graduated in november 08 so i have to be in the states before that.

Advertisement