Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Literature forum feedback: Suggestions on how to improve this forum?

Options
  • 07-07-2009 12:50pm
    Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

Is there anything you think we could do to improve this forum?

Do you have a great idea which you think would add value here?

If so let us know. Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭TedB

I'm only new here but I feel that something like a genuine literary discussion doesn't really happen on this forum. It all seems to be very 'I like x and this is why, you may not like x but this is merely my opinion... etc.' Its all very la dee da. I might be wrong but I've a feeling its something to do with the moderating style, having looked at a few threads going back a couple of pages. For example, mods seem to come off a little strong (And sometimes blatantly one sided) against people who are not afraid of polemic but seem to leave passive aggressive types alone (Who in my opinion are the real **** stirrers on internet forums). I think something could be done in this respects. Perhaps having a 'literary polemics' subforum might help? I dunno.

My two cents. For what its worth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

This forum is slow moving and a bit boring frankly. There is virtually zero discussion on "classic" fiction or any decent books at all!

It's all very much concentrated on threads about Stephen king (who I like just fine as a writer) or discussing some inane recent movie adaptation of a bestseller. Or multiple threads on topics such as "Where do you buy your books", "How much do you spend" "Recommend me a book..." "What book had an impact on you" etc.This forum lacks focus.

I started a thread last year to find Boards favourite book, it took a few weeks of work and I was happy to do it. "1984" was the runaway winner so it proves that there are serious readers here...but where is the discussion?

You might be entitled to consider me a snob ( I consider myself one in some ways, but I will read anything as long as it is well written), but honestly I am sick to death of the dearth of intelligent threads and analyses of decent literature on this forum.

What to do? I don't really know. For starters maybe the mod should have a few stickies on oft repeated threads? Maybe keeping fiction and non fiction seperate?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

lack of interesting threads: solution , start one! :D

as for the forum being PC and la de da... the PC nature of the posts isnt enforced by the moderation. Abuse of posters for having an opinion is frowned upon, bad language and namecalling is frowned upon. Posting up "that book is **** and anyone who reads it is a moron" is frowned upon.. however, posting up an opposing opinion, making a decent argument that either proves a previous posters points wrong or sheds a different light on it is fully encouraged. Debate and argument are encouraged (in fact, the mods have often pruned a thread to remove abuse but leave the debate continue, this takes a lot more work than simply locking the thread) but abuse, trolling and just being insulting because someone has a different opinion to you are not tolerated.

There was a feature a while ago where we ran a "book of the month" thread. I read a few books I normally wouldnt read but the problem was it catered for too broad an audience. Perhaps a new run but choosing three different books of the month spanning a variety of tastes?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Tough one - it's a shame that this forum doesn't get much traffic.

Call me a philistine, but I am quite happy talking about modern fiction by mainstream authors. I am also interested in where to get books and so on. Fostering an elitist attitude will do nothing for the forum IMO.
    TedB wrote:
    I might be wrong but I've a feeling its something to do with the moderating style

This might seem like a standard response from a boards moderator, but I very rarely noticed the mods in this forum, which means they're doing their job well IMO.

Eoin , my point was that the same thread was repeadedly rehashed, I have no problem with mainstream literature or current authors - none at all - but I don't even see discussion about bestsellers or new releases!
    I have tried to get a bit of debate going about such issues - check out my post on B Meyers Atlantic monthly magazine - hardly a response!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I wonder if "Literature" is a good name for the forum then? Could it turn off people who aren't interested in classics / who just want to talk about new releases etc?

I don't check out the Reading Logs sub-forum, could there be a lot of talk about new releases hidden there perhaps?

I honestly don't know what the answer is. At first I thought that there was no traffic to the forum, but the first 20 or so threads on the first page have all been updated in the last few days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

LoLth wrote: »
    There was a feature a while ago where we ran a "book of the month" thread. I read a few books I normally wouldnt read but the problem was it catered for too broad an audience. Perhaps a new run but choosing three different books of the month spanning a variety of tastes?

+1 for that. An online book club so to speak. We select a book by consensus, give a month, and then discuss. I dont know about having 3 books though. By the time you get the forum traffic and divide it by 3 choices you may have very few people left to discuss one book. Consensus the key. At a push 2 books - one classic and one mass market. Short books.

Im game, and I could talk 2 or 3 of my friends to contribute.

Otherwise, the forum is the sub total of its members. If you want a good forum start some good threads, and contribute to existing ones. I started a "Lord of the Flies" thread in this vein right now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭ceoexec2

could there be a sticky of good value places to buy books, either online or bookstores.

im using www.bookdepository.co.uk/ at the moment

i find Abebooks New & Used Books, Textbooks, Rare & Out of Print Books
    shipping costs drive up the prices too much

i seen this one mentioned on another post Awesome Books

if there are others please mention them. its pointless buying on amazon and easons etc when there are cheaper options

ceoexec2: my problem is that there are a load of stickies already, and forums dont look great clogged up. Maybe one catch-all free-books, second-hand-books and cheap-books sticky.

To continue with discussion about the book club, I think the classic book that would be picked should be one that is popular (so as well as have been read by lots of people, others are curious to read it) while also being accessible (no James Joyce or Virginia Woolf methinks!). I think Catcher in the Rye and To Kill a Mockingbird would both fill these criteria.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭ilovenerds

LoLth wrote: »

+1 excellent idea:D

We should select classics as well....If anyone mentions twilight they should be banned:p

• Advertisement

I third/fourth/fifth the idea for a book of the month... It WOULD require at the very least two alternative titles and + 10 people participating for a proper discussion.

I think having one seminal work (I'm thinking something Hemmingway-esque or something older such as Dickens/Scott/Elliot) and one 'mainstream-lite' such as Wolfe/Hornby/Eco... etc. would work wonders. That way we would have something a little heavy and something a little less heavy... lets face it, somedays its a lot more appealing to sit down with a Nick Hornby than with another 500 page+ Walter Scott novel... :P

I think what your doing there TedB is dividing the classic readership, many who will only bother to read one of the books. I see the principle divide in book reading as between "classic literature" and the Ahern-esque stuff. So I think one book should be a classic and one a modern non-classic even.

For the start you wouldnt want complicated reads. Only when youv built up a club can you throw the more complex works out there.

turgon wrote: »
    I think what your doing there TedB is dividing the classic readership, many who will only bother to read one of the books. I see the principle divide in book reading as between "classic literature" and the Ahern-esque stuff. So I think one book should be a classic and one a modern non-classic even.

For the start you wouldnt want complicated reads. Only when youv built up a club can you throw the more complex works out there.

Yeah, maybe you are right. But the other problem with the idea is that if we choose only one book, there's a good chance it rules out quite a few straight away? At least with two books, seperated between classic and modern classics most people will get a chance to participate? I dunno. I agree that there should be a ban on John Grisham (If I wanted to learn off legal principles I'd read a law book) and Celia Ahern (If I wanted to read crap books I'd read Celia Ahern :P)

turgon wrote: »
    I think what your doing there TedB

P.S- I insist you call me Ted!

TedB wrote: »
    At least with two books, seperated between classic and modern classics most people will get a chance to participate?

Is there anyone who reads classics, but not modern classics, ted? :p

Anyway, seeming as we'd need to get some notice to members, I think this should start soon. Maybe with a (public) poll first to determine how many would be up for it.

Maybe "modern" classics would be the way to go such as " The Outsider", "Death in Venice" or something similar that was written since 1920 or whatever. These are short books and could be read in a week or 2, Hemingway, Fitzgerald, Salinger, Bowen, Gogol - all very accessible, short and interesting.
    Maybe someone should get the ball rolling on this?

buck65 wrote: »
    Maybe "modern" classics would be the way to go such as " The Outsider", "Death in Venice" or something similar that was written since 1920 or whatever. These are short books and could be read in a week or 2, Hemingway, Fitzgerald, Salinger, Bowen, Gogol - all very accessible, short and interesting.
    Maybe someone should get the ball rolling on this?

I'll post a poll right now.

LOL! Buck got in ahead of me.

Advertisement