Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starting off?

Options
  • 07-07-2009 1:10pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 153 ✭✭

Hi, I am interested in starting some music production although I know next to nothing about it! I am willing to learn and teach myself, but I am wondering what exactly do I need in order to start off and get a feel for it without emptying my bank account. Basically what program is best for starting off, is it necessary for a midi controller or is it just a convenience?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭Neurojazz

Hiya,

What sort of computer do you have? - mac/pc?

What styles do you want to be able to create?

Do you have any musical grounding already?

:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 153 ✭✭malin182

Hi, I have a pc, fairly recent with 4 gb ram etc so it should be fairly capable. The sort of tunes im thinking are tech house, minimal and a bit of electro.

I have messed about with the likes of ableton before but didnt get far using it. In terms of musical grounding I am familiar with the likes of bpm, time, octaves, effects, pitch.. basically I dj already but would like to start making my own music.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭Neurojazz

Try a demo of reason maybe, or if you want to get a bit more serious then fruity loops / cubase - but the costs ramp up with cubase (for extra effects and instruments)

Reason is pretty bomb proof, but a closed system (to a point), but can pretty much do anything given time. There are genre specific 're:fills' that you add one also to save time.

You'd have to ask about fruityloops - i know nowt about it apart from early versions.

Both those budget platforms can enable you to make releases - will take work though!

Advertisement