Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boat Tax in UK and Ireland

Options
  • 07-07-2009 1:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Does anyone know whether you have to pay tax on second hand boats bought in either the UK or Ireland? If I buy a boat in the UK with the tax already paid, do I have to pay Irish tax if I import it into Ireland? Have scoured the internet for this but found nothing!

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

As long as the boat is VAT paid then off you go.
    Guide To Boat Purchase and VAT

Second Hand Boats within the EU
    The key rule of buying a second hand boat anywhere in the EU is to ensure that is VAT compliant. There are two main categories in regard to VAT:
    1. Boats in use prior to 1985 and in EU waters on 31.12.1992. Such vessels are normally deemed to be EU VAT paid and a VAT liability will not arise as a result of a transfer of ownership within the EU.
    2. With any other vessel the vendor should be able to provide paperwork dating back to the original sale when new, proving the payment of VAT on the new vessel. Purchasers should be wary if no paperwork is available, particularly if the vessel has been owned by a company at any stage.

http://www.sailing.ie/inside/default.asp?pageId=345

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 ihatepatkenny

you're a star - thanks!

Advertisement