Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marinade for Lamb

Options
  • 07-07-2009 1:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

I have some very nice cubed lamb, which I got from a friend who works in a good restaurant.

They use the cubes of lamb to make lamb skewers, which are very nice.

I want to use them to do something similar, maybe not skewers though. So I'd like to know what I could marinade them in, in preparation for eating them.

I have about 500grams, cut up into cubes about "Two Bite" size.

Some things I don't like.

Mint
    Coriander
    Couscous
    Cucumber

I don't really want to use your usual Rosemary or other "common" herbs either

Any ideas welcomed.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,471 ✭✭✭✭Alun

A nice tikka or tandoori marinade? Plenty of recipes on the net, or if really pushed buy a jar of Patak's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

I'm trying to get away from using jars, but there is a jar of Patak's Rogan Josh in the press at home.

It's nice, and I used it for a similar amount of the same lamb previously.

I really wanted to make something myself though.

While I was frying the lamb that time, I left a few chunks of it out, and ate them with nothing on them. They were delish, so I was thinking of lighlty marinading them, so I could get as much of the lamb flavour as possible.

I was actually thinking of making Kebabs, but I'd never be able to recreate the bread used in Kebab Shops. Unless someone knows an easy way?

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭rocknchef

chermoula

Ingredients:
    1/2 an onion, finely chopped
    1 tsp fresh coriander leaves
    2 tsp of chopped fresh parsley
    1 clove of garlic, crushed
    3 tsp ground cumin seed
    2 tsp mild paprika
    1 tsp turmeric
    1 pinch each of cayenne pepper, black pepper and salt

sorry just seen you dont like coriander just subsitute with mint

• Registered Users Posts: 21,471 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Des wrote: »
    I was actually thinking of making Kebabs, but I'd never be able to recreate the bread used in Kebab Shops. Unless someone knows an easy way?
    That was actually what I was suggesting.

Put the cubed lamb on skewers, marinade in a proper tikka or tandoori marinade, shake off any excess and then either grill or cook in the hottest oven you can get ... there's no resulting 'sauce' or anything like it involved.

Same goes for Patak's tikka or tandoori pastes .. mix with yoghurt and marinade, simples. You've had chicken tikka or tandoori before, surely? Don't confuse it with the 'English' dish of chicken tikka masala which has a rich cream / yoghurt based sauce on top of it :)

Standard supermarket Pitta breads would do for the bread, wouldn't they?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Pomergranate molasses if you can find a bottle - add a couple of tablespoons with the juice of half a lemon and a big pinch of sea salt. Doesn't need long in the marinade - 2 hours at most. It's a north african/middle eastern thing and probably not available in your local Tesco. Supermarket pittas always seem a bit doughier than the arab breads - try an Arabic supplier for the molasses and the bread - a supermarket with a halal butcher in the back - they may have what you need. Other breads to look out for are Khobz and Lavash - slightly different - the meat is wrapped in the warm bread rather than in a pitta pocket.

Another one to try - a dry rub of equal quantities of spanish smoked paprika, ground cumin and sea salt. Add spices to a little jar, shake to mix, then sprinkle on the meat just before cooking under a grill.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭rynners

As a sauce for good lamb I like to use baked red gooseberries with sugar. Had it in russia once and never looked back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Alun wrote: »

Standard supermarket Pitta breads would do for the bread, wouldn't they?

Ah no, I was thinking more along the lines of the bread you'd get in a Kebab House.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,053 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

If the lamb is that good:

Salt, pepper, olive oil and do under a hot grill then a squeeze of lemon juice to serve, if you like.
    Simple, delicious!

Could also add rosemary, garlic and thyme to above (all fresh) if you wanted it a bit herby. Or use balsamic instead of lemon juice

Or for a N.African flavour:
    In a bowl:
    Zest of a lemon and orange.
    Teaspoon Coriander seed (toasted and ground or, if you must, use ground coriander)
    Teaspoon Cumin seed (as above)
    Garlic (couple of cloves,chopped)
    Ginger (same amount as garlic or a bit more, chopped or grated)
    Plenty of black pepper
    Sea salt
    Teasoon Paprika (hot if you want it spicy or smoked if you want it smokey).
    Dash of olive oil to make a paste.

This probably works better for bigger pieces of lamb but no reason not to use ot on cubes and skewer.
    Butterflyed leg - BBQd Yummmmm
    Leg - Roast
    Shoulder - slow roast !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:P

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Des wrote: »
    Ah no, I was thinking more along the lines of the bread you'd get in a Kebab House.

A good corriander and garlic Nan would do the job.

Advertisement