Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chances of getting on a PhD

Options
  • 07-07-2009 2:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭

I only got a 2:2 in my original degree, nearly ten years ago. However, I am currently sitting an MEd in the UK. I am on course for a Merit.

I am interested in doing a PhD. The area which I am interested in can be studied through either education or psychology. I am just wondering, given my grades, what my chances of getting a place on a PhD would be.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Comments

Most places will look for a II.1, but I know someone who has an ordinary degree (failed final year) and was offered a masters which officially needed a II.1. So basically if you can show dedicated interest in a field or have work experience or can show etc. you can get in. Having an MEd in the field will show that you're definitely dedicated, and if it is the same area, would make it very easy for you to talk to a supervisor, and to show your skillz :)

Basically it'll depend on the supervisor. Think of it like an interview!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

It depends on the supervisor - I know people of almost every result doing PhD's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭petethebrick

If you get a 1.1 of high 2.1 on your masters you'll get into a phd program somewhere easily enough (as long as you have a good proposal etc that is )

Advertisement