Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Malta & Gozo

• 07-07-2009 2:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭

So I've finally booked flights to Malta for the end of August for 12 days. I'm now looking for places to stay. I'm thinking spending half the time in Malta and other half in Gozo.

If anyone has dived in Malta/Gozo that can recommend dive centres and accommodation etc. for a single traveller that would be great! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16 lou f

i was there last august and we dived with http://www.subwayscuba.com/ they were a good bunch, there are quite a few nice wreck dives. we only went to gozo for a day and it was way nicer spot to stay, so i'd recommend staying there as your base. try Neil Louth he works in the Calypso dive centre on Gozo. Its in the main town (Marcelforn) close to the harbour. The head guy/owner in the place is George (info@calypsodivers.com) (356) 2156 1757 or (356) 2156 2000. oh yea, its just togs diving in augest, no wetsuit needed for either 40m or hour long dives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

i have dived with Atlantis Diving twice, the first time staying at the Atlantis hotel in Marsalforn.

Brian who runs the place is a really great guy and runs a very relaxed centre. The first time i went it was the first diving I did after I qualified and they took me to some great sites and slowly ramped up the diving in line with my ability and comfort zone.

To be honest, I think I preferred Gozo to the Red Sea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭sunshinediver

Xlendi bay in Gozo is another good spot. Nice quiet town with a decent nightclub and a few pubs/restaurants. There's about 5 dive centres there. Dived with Moby dives and found them top notch. Good relaxed atmosphere and didn't force us to stick to any pre dive package, Just pay as you go.

As for Malta I found it more expensive in general to dive than in Gozo.

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭murrayp4

Would Malta/Gozo be suitable for non-divers. I'm looking to book a holiday at some stage, trouble is, half of the people will be non-divers so I don't want to end up with half the people diving and half the people bored out of their minds.
    Any suggestions for a destination other than Malta/Gozo that would be suitable for a mixed bunch like this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 277 ✭✭seadeuce

Jordan.

Aqaba for diving.

Petra/Wadi Rum/Dead Sea/Jerash for everyone.

Allow two days for Petra.

Seen all the above on two separate occasions, would go back for a third!

Altogether an experience never to be forgotten.

Seadeuce

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Xlendi bay in Gozo is another good spot. Nice quiet town with a decent nightclub and a few pubs/restaurants. There's about 5 dive centres there. Dived with Moby dives and found them top notch. Good relaxed atmosphere and didn't force us to stick to any pre dive package, Just pay as you go.

As for Malta I found it more expensive in general to dive than in Gozo.

Thanks for that tip. I was thinking of just diving when in Gozo anyway so I think I will more so now. Cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Keedowah

I dived with DiveWise in St Julians in October. Found them to be a great bunch - also travelled to Gozo for day trip, visited the Inland Sean and the blue hole there.

I stayed in Alexandra Hotel, its a bit cheap and cheerful, but did the job, and I would stay there again.

You should try and get a dive in Anchor Bay - its right beside the popeye film set and you can get into a big cave that you can surface in!

Hope you enjoy Malta as much as I did!

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭murrayp4

seadeuce wrote: »
    Jordan.

Aqaba for diving.

Petra/Wadi Rum/Dead Sea/Jerash for everyone.

Allow two days for Petra.

Seen all the above on two separate occasions, would go back for a third!

Altogether an experience never to be forgotten.

Seadeuce

Arrrgggghh....... 2 of the group are just back from Jordan. Can't really ask them to go back in 6 weeks....:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Seawolf

I thinking Gozo has the more easy flexible diving. St Andrews Dive centre are padi/CMAS affiliated. Nice relaxed. Get a jeep and travel to the main spots: Inland sea, Malsforum, the 3 wrecks, blue pool etc. There are a series of Open Access Caves on Gozo that you can boat dive off as well, interesting.. plenty of Choice.. Malta can be more Techie orientated if you want to get the deeper wreck dives. Dive Centre assisted dives are obviously expensive whereas Gozo is handy if U have a buddy in that you can get air fills and dive as you please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Seawolf wrote: »
    I thinking Gozo has the more easy flexible diving. St Andrews Dive centre are padi/CMAS affiliated. Nice relaxed. Get a jeep and travel to the main spots: Inland sea, Malsforum, the 3 wrecks, blue pool etc. There are a series of Open Access Caves on Gozo that you can boat dive off as well, interesting.. plenty of Choice.. Malta can be more Techie orientated if you want to get the deeper wreck dives. Dive Centre assisted dives are obviously expensive whereas Gozo is handy if U have a buddy in that you can get air fills and dive as you please.

Can't drive! :(

I would like to do a wreck dive. Haven't done one yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Keedowah

Check out the Rozie and P29 Minesweeper videos on youtube.

Nice Easy Wrecks.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 spiderpig101

I worked as a divemaster for 6 months last year on gozo. Great diving and I far preferred it over malta. I'd recommend Scuba Kings in Marsalforn, nice and small and family run, and its not cattle truck diving, with much smaller groups the most of the dive centers on the island. Oh and a day trip to comino is a must!(I know I sound like something off a PADI DVD but the fish feeding is really good) But yeah some of the best diving I've ever done, have to recommend Reqqa point, Its quality! Oh yeah and the Um El Faroud of malta is a reallllly good wreck.

http://www.divemalta-gozo.com/ ;)

I worked as a divemaster for 6 months last year on gozo. Great diving and I far preferred it over malta. I'd recommend Scuba Kings in Marsalforn, nice and small and family run, and its not cattle truck diving, with much smaller groups the most of the dive centers on the island. Oh and a day trip to comino is a must!(I know I sound like something off a PADI DVD but the fish feeding is really good) But yeah some of the best diving I've ever done, have to recommend Reqqa point, Its quality! Oh yeah and the Um El Faroud of malta is a reallllly good wreck.

http://www.divemalta-gozo.com/ ;)

IIRC, you have to be lucky to dive Reqqa point, doesn't the weather make entry difficult there at times?

I managed to dive it the first time I was in Gozo, but I know people who have been several times and never managed to do it. That and the Twin Arches were my two favourite doves on the island, in fact, probably two of the best dives I have done.

Entry's never a problem the way we did it, bit of a jump tho' can do it with a smaller jump but its actually more dangerous. Exit can be a problem but as long as to take your time and get your footing right its not a problem. I've dived it with a fair amount of swell but only with experienced divers. Its a brilliant dive tho.
    Only problem we had with the twin arches was unguided groups going out and missing it OR not managing their air and causing a few cylinders having to go for checks :rolleyes:

Gives an idea of what Reqqa can get like: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhSFtj3cPl0

The biggest problem is guides coming from malta who dont know the entries and exits, the dives are simple enough but its the entry/exit where you'll get caught out.

I can safely say that Reqqa point was nothing like that when i dived it:eek:

Yep, north coast of gozo gets battered off season

When would you say is the best time to go?

The start of the summer is great, waters really clear not too many divers, but the numbers of fish increase steadily during the summer, as does the number of divers, so depends on what your looking for.

Advertisement