Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Buying bike with full or learner license?

• 07-07-2009 2:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭

Would it be better to buy a bike after you get your full license then before it. I mean you'd get a better insurance quote with a full license rather than a learner permit right? Or am i wrong:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

karlog wrote: »
    Would it be better to buy a bike after you get your full license then before it. I mean you'd get a better insurance quote with a full license rather than a learner permit right? Or am i wrong:confused:

I got close to 40% with my Aon assessment on the remaining payments. Curious I asked the girl how much off for my full license. 20 quid.............................

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

my insurance went down loads when I got the full license.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,367 ✭✭✭bladespin

I got close to 40% with my Aon assessment on the remaining payments. Curious I asked the girl how much off for my full license. 20 quid.............................

Aon regard a grade 2 assesment as equivalent to a full license (so they told me :D).

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

karlog wrote: »

Yes you get a better quote with a full licence, you also get a better quote with a no clams discount.
    The sooner you start earning it the better, even if its for a 50cc moped.
    Would you pass the test with just a few lessons? I think its better to get a bike on the provisional the experience will help and when you pass the test ring the insurance company and see if you can get some money back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭karlog

ok will do

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭n.catenthusiast

EvilMonkey wrote: »
    Would you pass the test with just a few lessons? I think its better to get a bike on the provisional the experience will help .

Agreed.

Personally when I was getting lessons I made sure that the last one I got before picking up the bike was the Aon/Quinn assessment.
    Meant that even though I was on a provisional I was paying near enough the equivalent insurance rate to someone on a full licence.

of course down side to that was insurance company gave me fvck all of a discount when I passed the test! :(

still worth it though-means the cost of getting the insurance discount is subsumed into the cost of getting lessons.

(I'm not entirely sure if 'subsumed' is even a word, but you get the idea)

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭n.catenthusiast

(I'm not entirely sure if 'subsumed' is even a word, but you get the idea)

Oh. Apparently it is a word. Nice. Must use it more often so. I've just been so subsumed in work that I'd never checked it out.

bladespin wrote: »
    Aon regard a grade 2 assesment as equivalent to a full license (so they told me :D).

This was Quinn. In fairness I got quite a lot off the cost with the assessment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 534 ✭✭✭DonkeyRhubarb

Who did you get to do your assesment? Ive heard some people are 'stricter' on giving a grade 2 than others...

David Lyons. He's quite good and the lessons are one to one. Quite tough to get a grade two, but realistic as your not just out to get cheaper quotes but to learn how not to kill yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 534 ✭✭✭DonkeyRhubarb

I had my pre test with him last week. Then I went to do my test and got a clean sheet. Thing is, and this is purely mental, but I hate doing anything and only getting second best. I have to get the best and if I went to do an assesment and didnt do as well as possible, I'd be gutted.

It's amazing how one man can be so well known to every single biker.

It's amazing how one man can be so well known to every single biker.

He's very good, prices are reasonable for what you are getting and word of mouth is a disturbingly powerful tool.

Advertisement