Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netopia Wireless Problem

Options
  • 07-07-2009 3:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭

I replaced my Netopia wireless router with a new one of the same model as it had stopped working (eircom broadband)

I have three computers in the house, two Vista machines and 1 XP Home Edition.

The two Vista machines are detecting the wireless point and can connect to it no problem, but the XP machine can't find it at all. (network not showing up at all) The XP machine is picking up a nearby Eircom network but not mine.

Bit confused as to why. Any pointers anyone?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

keen wrote: »
    I replaced my Netopia wireless router with a new one of the same model as it had stopped working (eircom broadband)

I have three computers in the house, two Vista machines and 1 XP Home Edition.

The two Vista machines are detecting the wireless point and can connect to it no problem, but the XP machine can't find it at all. (network not showing up at all) The XP machine is picking up a nearby Eircom network but not mine.

Bit confused as to why. Any pointers anyone?

Try changing the wireless channel no downwards if is high. Also what wireless standard is the card in the xp machine?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭keen

dub45 wrote: »
    Try changing the wireless channel no downwards if is high. Also what wireless standard is the card in the xp machine?

I tried changing the chanel from the default seven to 1,3 and 5 to no avail.

Not sure about the standard of the wireless card but it was defo working on a identical netopia.

I have B and G enabled in the operating mode.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭cpu-dude

What does is say when your searching for wireless networks? Which one of the following windows does it show:

9423.jpg

9424.jpg

9425.png

9426.jpg

The last one.

The last one.
    What wireless adapter are you using on the XP machine?

Is it a laptop or a desktop you are using?

Have you any cordless phones or wireless devices near your router?

• Advertisement

Did you try turning off the security in the new netopia.

The old netopia probably used wep security. If the card in your pc is only 'b' standard it may not see a network using wpa security. (I am not sure if this is the case)

cpu-dude wrote: »
    What wireless adapter are you using on the XP machine?

Is it a laptop or a desktop you are using?

Have you any cordless phones or wireless devices near your router?

It's a desktop using a Sweex USB wireless dongle nothing near the router itself of that nature or even in the house.
    Did you try turning off the security in the new netopia.

The old netopia probably used wep security. If the card in your pc is only 'b' standard it may not see a network using wpa security. (I am not sure if this is the case)

Yeah I tried turning off the secruity completely still wasn't showing up at all, it's baffling, I know a bit about networks and I've tried anything that made sense to me. I've also removed all previous wireless networks that the XP PC was connected too.
    Thanks for the help lads.

It's a desktop using a Sweex USB wireless dongle nothing near the router itself of that nature or even in the house.

Yeah I tried turning off the secruity completely still wasn't showing up at all, it's baffling, I know a bit about networks and I've tried anything that made sense to me. I've also removed all previous wireless networks that the XP PC was connected too.

Any chance of borrowing a wireless usb from somebody to rule out the sweex?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

or - updating the driver for your usb wireless dongle? maybe plug into the internet using a wire temporariliy, and update through the windows device manager?

A thought that just occured to me - is there any"management" software that came with the usb dongle? can you diable that, and just use windows wireless zero?

Any chance of borrowing a wireless usb from somebody to rule out the sweex?

I haven't got a spare one at the moment but could get one. To be honest I don't think it's the dongle because it was working fine with the previous router right up until the change.
    Dardania wrote: »
    or - updating the driver for your usb wireless dongle? maybe plug into the internet using a wire temporariliy, and update through the windows device manager?

A thought that just occured to me - is there any"management" software that came with the usb dongle? can you diable that, and just use windows wireless zero?

I never install that third party software, I let Windows manage the wireless networks.

• Advertisement

Sweex are the biggest load of s**t to be honest, did you get that in PC World?

I suggest a Linksys or Belkin adapter, good hardware but the software isn't so like your doing with the current adapter, use Windows to manage the wireless networks.

cpu-dude wrote: »
    Sweex are the biggest load of s**t to be honest, did you get that in PC World?

I suggest a Linksys or Belkin adapter, good hardware but the software isn't so like your doing with the current adapter, use Windows to manage the wireless networks.

I understand it's not the best make but it works fine and can be used to connect to other networks. I'm going to try a new adapter to rule it out completely but I'm certain it's a problem with the router/settings.

Advertisement