Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Patching issues!!!

• 07-07-2009 3:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭

This friggin game is a disaster to begin!
    So I bought the battlechest, I installed the first disc. Set up my account and got ready to start, then the friggin thing tells me that I've got to download a patch...
    Fair enough, I click install and the bloody thing says that Warcraft installer wants 15gb of free space. Well, I dont have that kind of space on this laptop.

Im wondering if I go ahead and install the Burning Crusade disc which is also in the battlechest, will it negate the need for this gigantic patch or what?

Do I need to just hold on till I have access to another machine with more space?

At the moment I'm finding this whole thing friggin ridiculous, I've never had such hassle to play a game.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

You need alot of room for wow afaik

Patches take alot of room

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

I think my WoW game is around 15gigs big.

I would go and install the game using all the CD's first then start the game up. After that you will prob be waiting a few hours for all the patches.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭smithcity

God dammit! I've only got 5 gigs of space left on this machine.
    My external hardrive is corrupted. Think I'll see if I can repair the hardrive and transfer everything to it and try it out then.

Is there any disadvantage to installing Burning Crusade before I've played through the original?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

Do you have any mates that play wow?

You can copy the 15gb wow folder from there machine onto an external drive if ya can borrow one, then just slap that folder onto you machine.

You can just double click the wow.exe to play the game then.

No disadvantage if you install burning crusade now or later.
    Burning crusade just adds more content, but being new to the game you will have lots to do at the beginning even without the expansions installed.

Nope, none of my friends play it so gotta try recover my old corrupted external hard drive. Got it working before but it crashed again. Just need it to last a few days till i get my other laptop back from repairs

• Advertisement

Oh god, oh christ. So here's the latest issue.
    Try to run the game, it says it needs to install a patch before I can play.
    Ok, so I download something but can't find any icon in my folders called "patch" but I do find a new file called "WoW-installer-2.x.x.x-to-3.0.1.8874-x86-Win-enGB" so I click it and it tries to download and install 4.5gigs of new data, incredibly slowly.
    Does this seem a bit much to anybody? It's even downloading intro .avi files and stuff, Im half afraid that the friggin thing is just downloading a fresh copy of the game or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

This is about the average size of a wow folder, granted there is about 200 screenshots and some addons.

cuu0e0jio3rpsjvdj8m.jpg

*edit*

Dont ask why my vista is in irish, a joke gone wrong and now i cant change it back... :(

I don't know what was going on with it, the downloader/installer seemed to be downloading elements from the burning crusade, which i hadn't installed.
    So I've uninstalled the lot and am going to instal both discs now, directly onto the portable harddrive. (whereas previously I had copied and pasted the folders from my c/ )
    Hopefully this will resolve some of the issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 186 ✭✭Gumble01

The best thing to do is install World of Warcraft, The Burning Crusade , Wrath Of the Lich King all of the pre wotlk patches are on the wotlk disc, you will still need to d/l some patches so the game will run.You will need all of the latest patches in order to play.

Thought so, only have WoW and TBC for now though

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Oh yeah, if your gonna pick up the patches the ingame patch downloader can be very slow at times, so you can head over to places like www.wowwiki.com and get the patches there.

do i just download the latest patch or all of them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

All of them, and you will need to install them in the correct order.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Slashook

Sounds like Danger :D

Advertisement