Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how soon do we need to enrole?

Options
  • 07-07-2009 3:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭

hi all,

Our baby son was born 3 weeks ago and everybody is doing fab - but I have a small niggle in the back of my mind.

Thing is we sold our house a few months back in an effort to move to somewhere we'd be happier to bring him up.

We've not found a new house and probably won't buy until the middle of next year. So now I am worried we'll not be able to register him for any schools.

Am I been a bit silly thinking we need to register him this soon?

Thanks
    Rob

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭LashingLady

First congrats on the birth of your ds.

You only need to put his name on a waiting list if there is a school that he absolutely positively HAS to go to and this school has a waiting list.

Different (types of) schools have different enrolment policies. Some are open to all baptised children of a parish or catchment area on a first-come first-served basis with places left for unbaptised children. [Well the requirement to be baptised has been controlversial over the past few years and may change...]. For these schools you do not need to enrol anytime soon.

Others operate waiting lists open from when the child is born, or a list that is only open some time in the year that the child is to start school.

Because we do not have a religion and did not have our son baptised, I want him to go to a multi-denominational school. When he was born last year I did was not quite sure where I was going to be living when he started school, I registered him in two Educate Together schools: one where I live now and one where I will more than likely live then.

You dont' have to prove your address so I put my current address on both applications and when I move I will let them know that I have moved.

The schools will contact us in teh year before ds is due to start to see if we still wnat to be on the list and I can let the other school know to take him off the list so that we are not taking it from another child.

Also, bear in mind when applying that as your ds was born in June you have the option for him to start school at either 4 or 5. In one of the schools I was able to put him on the lsit for both years but the other I had to choose one. Well, for an intake of 30 he was 200th on the list for 2012, but around 20th on the list for 2013. So keep this in mind.

HTH

Advertisement