Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Questions for a Wine Interview?

Options
  • 07-07-2009 3:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hi

I am going for an interview with a big Off-Licence company soon. Does anybody know what kind of questions they would ask? The position is a sales assistant.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭dereko1969

firstly it won't be all about wine, if it's a chain chances are a good proportion of their sales will be beer and spirits.
    i don't know what questions they'd ask but what i'd ask is
    - what's your favourite drink?
    - i'm having a bbq what wines/beers would you recommend?
    - what's the legal drinking age? how old should someone look before you stop asking them for ID?
    - which wine goes well with this dish that i'm cooking for dinner?
    - do you shop in our shops regularly? if not, why not? if you do what special offers have you noticed us doing?
    - what would you say to someone giving out about the cost of drinks in our shop compared to Tesco/Up North/France/Outer Mongolia?
    - if someone asks for something you don't have should you take a note of it or tell them to go to tesco/up north?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭rediguana

They won't expect somebody applying for an entry-level position to have massive prior knowledge. At the same time, there is obviously a huge oversupply of applicants for most jobs these days, so if you can demonstrate some knowledge of the products you are hoping to sell, you will have an advantage.

I did an interview for O'Briens a few years ago and, as well as the usual guffy interview questions that you'd do well not to neglect, they simply asked me to recommend a nice white and red wine. Pick a red and a white and do a little bit of homework on them, so you don't look blank if they ask you.

I'd be surprised if they started asking you about cross-border shopping.

Best of luck!

Advertisement