Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Operation Flashpoint 2

Options
  • 07-07-2009 3:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭

Hi Guys! Sorry if this is a repost but I wasn't to sure where to stick this.

Have any of use seen the videos for the new Operation Flashpoint Game? The release date on the site is "Fall 2009" which is the usual general American nonsense.

Jesus it looks unbelievable. I spent hours upon hours of my time on the first game. This will be a good reason to update the relic of a computer I have at the minute lol.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,431 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Get Armed Assault 2, it's the real sequel to operation flashpoint.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭John-Holmes

No deal. Checked it out and I just fancy Dragon Rising more.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

OP2 is COD4 in disguise, don't be mislead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭coughlan08

No deal. Checked it out and I just fancy Dragon Rising more.
    which game hmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

The videos of this game on youtube look feckin awesome (I'd never usually use that word but here I think it's apt) it's based on a real island that's been recreated faithfully, it' take 4 and a half hours to walk across the island, 2 hours in the fastest jeep or 20 minutes by plane. That's huge by any other games standards, the walking time is almost as long as the entire COD4 game.

The graphics almost look to good to be true for a game of this scale.

Over 70 weapons with attachments, 40 vehicles and everything is destructable in cluding buildings, once the buildings been blown up, it stays that way for the rest of the game.

I loved the first OF being able to make your own levels easily was also great I hope they keep it going.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Hope it is as good as the first one, which was awesome. Loved gettting shot in the leg and crawling for miles :-p

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

looks class,I'll be getting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

ScumLord wrote: »

The videos of this game on youtube look feckin awesome (I'd never usually use that word but here I think it's apt) it's based on a real island that's been recreated faithfully, it' take 4 and a half hours to walk across the island, 2 hours in the fastest jeep or 20 minutes by plane. That's huge by any other games standards, the walking time is almost as long as the entire COD4 game.

That's some slow-ass jeep, just over twice as fast as walking. :pac:

Loved OPF, so looking forward to this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

didnt the guys who made flashpoint make arma - are they also doing flashpoint 2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

But is it the true Operation Flashpoint 2? Its not the same developers, its Codemasters own inhouse team. Of course it looks great, they've the GRiD engine to work on, the works already done for them. I'm holding out for some proper gameplay videos before I pass judgement...............Now back to ARMA 2 for me, the real Operation Flashpoint 2 (for now), the great fun buggy mess that it is.

• Advertisement

Gameplay from E3

The jeeps do sound slow but miltary jeeps always are, maybe the walker can go direct while the jeep takes winding roads. Still a huge island.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,251 ✭✭✭Elessar

Should be interesting, but it looks nowhere near as good as Arma 2.

Looks good, but ARMA 2 looks more realistic and better fun IMO

Kinda reminds me of Far Cry 2

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,324 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

It has red barrels that explode.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

Lads ARMA is the sequel to OFP, as the people who made OFP made arma, then arma 2.

codemasters just took the name. So saying I hope its as good as the 1st one just isnt right, when really, there was no 1st one, or rather, it would make more sense to say that on a video of ArmA 1.

Cunny-Funt wrote: »
    Lads ARMA is the sequel to OFP, as the people who made OFP made arma, then arma 2.

codemasters just took the name. So saying I hope its as good as the 1st one just isnt right, when really, there was no 1st one, or rather, it would make more sense to say that on a video of ArmA 1.

Yep, this smells more and more like FarCry2

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

From wiki

PLOT:
    This game takes place on a small, fictional island located off the north coast of Japan called Skira in the present day. The island is directly based on a real island called Kiska. The island is a contested territory between Russia and China and becomes the center of an armed conflict when one of the largest untapped oil and gas reserves in the world are discovered there. The game begins as the player arrives as part of the American military who is tasked with capturing the island on behalf of the Russians from the Chinese military.

Eh what? FFS cause they can't...you know... have a game where we're NOT america for once... :rolleyes:

But ffs, in a game where the story is Russia V China, Russia just forgets it has an army and asks the americans to go in instead? wtf kinda story is that.

Woulda raised my interest if it was a Russia V China game, now that'd be feckin refreshing, but nooo.

Anyway checking wiki and it turns out this is a console game, lol I think I'll be sticking to arma. looking at what the consoles did to the likes of Battlefield I can't see this being much of a sim.

Anyway checking wiki and it turns out this is a console game, lol I think I'll be sticking to arma. looking at what the consoles did to the likes of Battlefield I can't see this being much of a sim.

I'm not excited anymore.

Even looks as if its for a console with the scrolling menu's etc. The explosions in the gameplay vids didn't look that great to me either, screamed console game to me, Arma 2 has much better effects and realism. This probably rules me out as I'm sick of games being dumbed down for consoles and then ported to pc (bet its got an auto-aim :D).
    I'll stick with Arma 2, maybe I'll have a pc that can completely max it in 5 yrs. Arma 2 is Operation Flashpoint 2, and for those thats not played it......Well You're missing out, its fantastic (although a little bugged, but can only get better)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭Frederico

From wiki

PLOT:

Eh what? FFS cause they can't...you know... have a game where we're NOT america for once... :rolleyes:

But ffs, in a game where the story is Russia V China, Russia just forgets it has an army and asks the americans to go in instead? wtf kinda story is that.

Woulda raised my interest if it was a Russia V China game, now that'd be feckin refreshing, but nooo.

Its something games seem to have a hard time shying away from, being the US/UK superhero.. GTA 4 took the plunge and everyone loved it

ARMA2 you say?

I hadn't heard of it till ye mentioned it now, I don't follow games that closely anymore they're much of a muchness these days. I'll have a read over the ARMA thread and download the demo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Tbh all i had to was to see when he brings up the ironsights of his gun and noticing that the gun stays perfectly still despite moving or shooting, suggests this is a COD4/Far Cry 2 title.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Parser

The US army helps fund video games and war films which involve the US army, they're prime recruiting tools.

He even said in the video they had involvement from the army and got their hands on the warfare "rule book".

It's in the developers interest financially to have the you play as a yank.

The original OP Flashpoint engine and the current Arma engine are both forks of actual military simulation software used by the US army to train troops.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,431 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The story sounds retarded. I liked how realistic the story was in the original and how well it dealt with it. This just sounds like super marines being sent in to complete ridiculous objectives. I liked how in Opflash there were many levels were it all went tits up and you had to retreat.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    The story sounds retarded. I liked how realistic the story was in the original and how well it dealt with it. This just sounds like super marines being sent in to complete ridiculous objectives. I liked how in Opflash there were many levels were it all went tits up and you had to retreat.
    The Chinese and Americans fighting over oil sounds completely plausible.

The americans helping the russians doesn't. I can't see this being as good as operation flashpoint in terms of story. It sounds generic.

I don't know, when it comes to Americas dependence on oil and Russias stock piles of gas maybe they could work out a deal.

Your right though, it is a bit unreal. It's a pity it's not more like the realism in half life or far cry. :p

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

The release has been dated for around Oct 6th or so.

I guess we'll find out how consoley it is shortly enough.

Advertisement